2021/01/29 23:11:21
xotic1209
Hi all,

Im in need of some help here I really dont know what to do. I recently just installed my EKWB waterblock on my RTX FTW 3 3090 and now my system isnt booting. It was running for months before the water block install.

Post error code 62 with Gigabyte x570 Aorus Master Mobo and an AMD 5950x with the RTX 3090 plugged in.
I have narrowed it down to ti being something wrong with the graphics card. I popped my old 1080ti in and Im not having any issues.
The board is definitely getting power and there are no circuits that got fried or liquid that touched the board.
Is a ground being missed ? Does the board need fans plugged into work ? LED on the back is lighting up.
System detects when I removed a PSU cable showing the red lights so I really dont think the board is damaged.

Can EVGA look into this for me or does anyone here have any insight? I dont believe I did anything to cause this. Im not new to watercooling .. but I will pay if I have to to repair it if its out of waranty over this. Im desperate and need help :( 
2021/01/29 23:14:59
sparetimepc
If it was working fine until you put on the water block then something went wrong. I would take it back apart and reinstall water block or put original cooler back on and try.
Make sure you didn't miss a small plastic washer or something that needed placed to prevent a ground somewhere. It would have to have the original cooler put back on anyways to do an RMA. Make sure all power connections are fully inserted as well.
2021/01/29 23:44:57
xotic1209
I will give it a try. Will they RMA this product if neither works? Do they repair boards if there is damage to them they deemed customer caused? Ill try to take pictures of my tear down and reassembly. This build cost me over 7 grand and the GPU was a biggest  investment outside of my storage and I hope I just didnt make a 2000 dollar mistake

2021/01/30 00:15:43
sparetimepc
If you caused physical damage they usually just return the rma back to you without repairs. If you still can't get it to work do the rma and when they receive it they will determine if it's defective or damaged. You'll have to start with the rma though.
2021/01/30 00:53:02
xotic1209
These things are impossible to get :( I really hope its something stupid I missed. The board looks perfect though. The freaking thermal putty they used around the VRM's is insane to get rid of though :( is that stuff conductive ?
2021/01/30 01:01:41
the_Scarlet_one
It’s not insane to get rid of, and it is not conductive.

Here is a short video of how to get rid of it:

If you need new thermal putty, https://www.amazon.com/dp...f=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share
2021/01/30 01:18:46
sparetimepc
xotic1209
These things are impossible to get :( I really hope its something stupid I missed. The board looks perfect though. The freaking thermal putty they used around the VRM's is insane to get rid of though :( is that stuff conductive ?

No it's not conductive at all. Just make sure you pay attention to detail. I assume you downloaded the block install instructions from ekwb site as I don't think they include them in the package anymore.
2021/01/30 01:55:14
xotic1209
Yupp definately still not working and Im not putting in the effort tonight to go back stock. I would be interested to see if anyone else is having this issue. Guess its time to RMA. Wish me luck
2021/01/30 01:57:01
xotic1209
i also did exactly as described in those videos to remove that remaining thermal putty. What i find interesting is EVGA didnt use a single washer .. any chance that he back of the GPU die needs those grounds around the mounting points ? They use metal washers on the pressure plate .. and that SOB is going to be impossible to put back on.

2021/01/30 02:02:21
bmgjet
The XC3 block has some really bad issues in the first batch of them. (Back plate shorting stuff out if you didnt space it with some of the plastic washer provided, No contact on half the die with out shaving down stand offs, no contact on inductors and memory islands in the wrong place by few mm.)

Wonder if the FTW3 block does as well.

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account