2021/01/13 11:02:54
Falita
Hi, looking for a replacemente for my Xonar DX got to know about the new creative cards and their new line up of AE cards get very good reviews and to my surprise now EVGA makes audio cards with also very good reviews.

Currently i'm using a sort of.. hybrid 5.1 system.
2 x Mackie Mr5 Mk3 (studio monitors) -Front
1 x Klipsch RC-42 II -Center
2 x Edifier C6 -Surround
1 x Klipsch R-112sw -Subwoofer

Software i use:
Music: Foobar2000 with an ASIO plugin when i want the best sound possible and not going to use any other audio source since it mutes everything else.
Movies/Series: MPC-BC with an ASIO multichannel plugin (buggy but works).

The AE series has a feature called "Direct Mode", this is like using ASIO right? bypassing any sort of processing of the audio (something i want), does the Nu Audio has something similar?.

Another thing important is the Bass Redirection, since i'm using LFE mode on the sub. i would like to control the dB + crossover frequency, since somethimes i want to listen music with an extra punch. I know foobar has a plugin for this but... if the software on the Nu Audio support this function in a native way it would be better since that would mean i can use it on games too and any audio. (lowering the Hz cross to 60 for example).

In price the Nu is a little cheaper, but which one would you recommend?.
2021/01/14 05:30:50
Vivicector
Falita
Hi, looking for a replacemente for my Xonar DX got to know about the new creative cards and their new line up of AE cards get very good reviews and to my surprise now EVGA makes audio cards with also very good reviews.

2 x Edifier C6 -Surround

Software i use:
Music: Foobar2000 with an ASIO plugin when i want the best sound possible and not going to use any other audio source since it mutes everything else.

The AE series has a feature called "Direct Mode", this is like using ASIO right? bypassing any sort of processing of the audio (something i want), does the Nu Audio has something similar?.

Another thing important is the Bass Redirection, since i'm using LFE mode on the sub. i would like to control the dB + crossover frequency, since somethimes i want to listen music with an extra punch. I know foobar has a plugin for this but... if the software on the Nu Audio support this function in a native way it would be better since that would mean i can use it on games too and any audio. (lowering the Hz cross to 60 for example).

Hi!
Direct mode means all the sound "enhancers" are disabled. So it only protects you against Creative's own faults. 
Bass redirection is a problem with Nu Audio, no redirection exists in the drivers. You'll need to use Windows built-in features for that (and they don't work with Nahimic soft). In theory, Nu Audio just sends whatever is on bass channel to bass. So if plugin does the redirection, it should all be ok. No at all so good with games. So your sub should be able to do the filtering. 

Sound profile... Well, I haven't tested them face to face, but one reviewer whom I trust, told Nu Audio is more natural while AE9 is more harsh and crisp. At the same time AE9 is less harsh then AE7. So, it depends on you. But keep in mind said difference is very small, way lower then the difference between different acoustics. 
2021/01/14 16:29:42
Falita
I see, the only problem with the Nu seems to be the drivers that cripple the card, the last update 6 months ago... very odd not to include a bass redirection feature since its a multichannel card and any configuration above stereo always has a subwoofer.

For now the AE7 wins but i'm going to search more info about it. Thanks man.
2021/01/14 16:57:50
LCaldas
Vivicector
Falita

2 x Edifier C6 -Surround

Software i use:

Hi!
Direct mode means all the sound "enhancers" are disabled. So it only protects you against Creative's own faults. 
Bass redirection is a problem with Nu Audio, no redirection exists in the drivers. You'll need to use Windows built-in features for that (and they don't work with Nahimic soft). In theory, Nu Audio just sends whatever is on bass channel to bass. So if plugin does the redirection, it should all be ok. No at all so good with games. So your sub should be able to do the filtering. 

Sound profile... Well, I haven't tested them face to face, but one reviewer whom I trust, told Nu Audio is more natural while AE9 is more harsh and crisp. At the same time AE9 is less harsh then AE7. So, it depends on you. But keep in mind said difference is very small, way lower then the difference between different acoustics. 

Good information 
2021/01/16 13:33:16
DannyW75
With the AE-7, you have no way of upgrading the opamps, which you can do on the Nu Audio Pro. I would never buy a sound card without opamp swapping capabilities. If I was buying today, I would just pay more and buy the AE-9 instead. It is the best sound card that currently exists. I am currently on my second Nu Audio Pro 7.1, and this one now has a defective daughter board. My first one was dead right out of the box. I don't recommend buying it.
2021/01/16 13:55:17
Falita
DannyW75
With the AE-7, you have no way of upgrading the opamps, which you can do on the Nu Audio Pro. I would never buy a sound card without opamp swapping capabilities. If I was buying today, I would just pay more and buy the AE-9 instead. It is the best sound card that currently exists. I am currently on my second Nu Audio Pro 7.1, and this one now has a defective daughter board. My first one was dead right out of the box. I don't recommend buying it.

At least on the forums there seems to be a lot more people with defective nu cards than creative ones. I wanted the AE9 at first but the import price is insane right now, so im stuck with ae5 ae7 and nu at least until it goes out of stock on the only two stores that has them haha.

Right now the price of the ae5 and nu is the same, the ae7 is kinda double dont know if is worth it tho.

Next week is time to decide or just keep the xonar dx.
2021/01/16 14:05:14
DannyW75
Just hunt around and see if you can find a fair price for the AE-9. After my experience with 2 defective Nu Audio Pro 7.1 cards, I don't suggest buying it. I plan to dump my card and get an AE-9 as well.
2021/01/16 14:38:47
DannyW75
If you want to go the external USB route instead, a good option as well would be the Creative X7. It has something which most external solutions do not have. It offers analog 5.1 connections. It also supports opamp swapping. At this point, the only two options I would consider are the X7 or AE-9.

https://us.creative.com/p...aster/sound-blaster-x7

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account