2020/11/27 05:41:37
rjohnson11
TSMC Completes Its 3nm Multi-Billion Fab | Tom's Hardware

They say that it is hard to keep up with Moore's Law, however, for the folks over at Taiwan Semiconductor Manufacturing Company (TSMC), that doesn't seem to represent any kind of a problem. Today, to confirm that TSMC is one of the last warriors for the life of Moore's Law, we have information that the company has completed building its manufacturing facility for the next-generation 3 nm semiconductor node. Located in Southern Taiwan Science Park near Tainan, TSMC is expecting to start high-volume manufacturing of the 3 nm node in that Fab in the second half of 2022. As always, one of the first customers expected is Apple.

Estimated to cost an amazing 19.5 billion US Dollars, the Fab is expected to have an output of 55,000 300 mm (12-inch) wafers per month. Given that the regular facilities of TSMC exceed the capacity of over 100K wafers per month, this new facility is expected to increase the capacity over time and possibly reach the 100K level. The new 3 nm node is going to use the FinFET technology and will deliver a 15% performance gain over the previous 5 nm node, with 30% decreased power use and up to 70% density increase. Of course, all of those factors will depend on a specific design.

It's great to see TSMC on track with the 3nm mode. 
2020/11/27 06:13:48
dragomirc
Seems TSMC is a way ahead of competitors.
2020/11/27 15:51:09
kougar
TSMC can easily handle Moore's law... but TSMC cannot handle Apple's Law. All their 3nm chips belong to apple.
2020/11/27 19:15:35
veganfanatic
Lets see a RAM chip on their line and slice it with a laser and compare it with Intel and Samsung

I bet they are not better, the new line is simply a capacity bump to keep customers happy

2020/11/28 15:38:44
mathematical
Wow. Intel is way behind the game.

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account