• Hardware Industry News
  • AMD Radeon RX 6800-series already out of stock, Microcenter selling cards in-store only
2020/11/18 10:04:26
rjohnson11
https://www.techspot.com/news/87656-amd-rx-6800-series-already-out-stock-microcentre.html

What just happened? In what should come as a surprise to absolutely nobody, retailers and manufacturers of AMD's Radeon RX 6800-series are warning of extremely limited stock levels at launch. The cards went on sale twenty minutes ago at the time of writing, but they already appear sold out at all online retail sites, though you might be able to score one at a Microcenter, which is selling them in-store only. While this season's multitude of gaming product launches—the Xbox Series X/S, PS5, and RTX 3000 series—have all been marred by limited stock and scalper bots, AMD's Frank Azor said in September that the Radeon RX 6000 products would not suffer the same fate. He even accepted one Twitter user's $10 bet that it would be a paper launch. It looks as if Azor might have to pull out his wallet. Both the RX 6800 and 6800 XT are marked as Out of Stock or absent from many online retailers' stores, including Newegg, Best Buy, Walmart, and AMD's own site.

For those willing to brave the pandemic and buy one of the cards from a brick-and-mortar store, Microcenter is selling the Radeon RX 6800 series at its physical outlets only—none are being sold online. People have been camping out at some locations since yesterday, probably because the company has warned that stock quantities will be "extremely limited at launch." However, it did say additional shipments of GPUs are expected later on launch day and subsequent days (thanks, Videocardz). 

Another round to the scalpers. 

2020/11/18 10:17:51
Cool GTX
surprise - surprise

Micro center can have good prices - especially on CPU ... but in store Only policy ....

2020/11/18 10:19:32
knightsilver
My next gpu, 6800XT!

https://www.techpowerup.com/review/amd-radeon-rx-6800-xt/

Id AMD can get out tons of 6800XT stock, AMD dosent have to beat nvidia, just have the stock, and great performance overall.
2020/11/18 10:30:09
aka_STEVE_b
This time around it took about 8 mins before they were all gone on the 3 sites I was on ......
2020/11/18 10:49:33
atfrico
Look at that AMD gpus are so crappy they outsold Nvidia s gpus 🤣🤣🤣🙄.
At least they are selling them on ebay😼
2020/11/18 12:59:13
castrator86
Price to performance people.

Yes, they're slightly behind in performance. But the price difference makes up that gap.
2020/11/18 14:38:50
Hoggle
I read the reviews and it’s like I expected. Ray tracing isn’t that good, software is buggy, no answer to DLSS and oddly enough better at 1080 and 1440p. Not to say they are terrible but if I can spend $50 more and get DLSS, better 4K gaming and better ray tracing I don’t see why I would buy AMD. Maybe the software can be fixed but really I think this is a great reason why to not trust a companies press releases.

That said the 6800XT is a good first entry. If it went up against a 2080 it would have been really impressive. Of course this is the first generation that AMD has ray tracing and i am glad to see that. The problem is they are playing catch-up with NVIDIA.
2020/11/18 15:35:19
mobhill
The release today was for the relatively few reference cards only. The partner boards will be going out next week, and I expect much higher volume the next couple weeks after that. Not that AMD will be able to fill all the world's GPU desires, but I do expect them to have an edge over Nvidia when it comes to supply. I could be wrong, but I would not be surprised to see AMD ship more cards in one month than Nvidia will in three.

Considering the lower power requirements and the more consistent framerate times on the AMD GPUs, if I was looking to game at 1080p or 1440p I would probably go with AMD. As it is, I have a 4k OLED and I want to push that at 120Hz as much as I can. The GDDR6x VRAM on the 3080 and 3090 provide a better option for that. Ray tracing isn't much of a consideration for me. 
2020/11/18 16:28:05
misomalu
It will be interesting to see how AMD manages to keep up with all of their production, given that they are trying to make enough CPUs, GPUs, and PS5/Xbox hardware all in time for Christmas.
2020/11/19 08:32:26
axtoxic
CURRENTLY SOLD OUT
I had never seen that card

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account