• Hardware Industry News
  • AMD Looks to Keep Performance, Efficiency Gains Momentum With Zen 4, RDNA 3, and Commitmen
2020/11/11 13:34:51
rjohnson11
https://www.techpowerup.com/274525/amd-looks-to-keep-performance-efficiency-gains-momentum-with-zen-4-rdna-3-and-commitment-to-threadripper

AMD's Executive Vice President Rick Bergman in an interview with The Street shed some light on the company's future plans for Zen 4 and RDNA 3, even as we are still reeling from (or coming in to) Zen 3 and RDNA 2's launches. Speaking on RDNA 3, Rick Bergman mentioned the company's commitment to achieve the same 50% performance-per-watt increase they achieved with RDNA 2, and had some interesting takes on the matter of why this is actually one of the most important metrics:
Rick Bergman
It just matters so much in many ways, because if your power is too high -- as we've seen from our competitors -- suddenly our potential users have to buy bigger power supplies, very advanced cooling solutions. And in a lot of ways, very importantly, it actually drives the [bill of materials] of the board up substantially. This is a desktop perspective. And invariably, that either means the retail price comes up, or your GPU cost has to come down. We focused on that for RDNA 2. It's a big focus on RDNA 3 as well.
Rick Bergman
On Infinity Cache, it's somewhat linked to that as well, to a certain degree. If you've been in graphics for a long time, you realize there's a pretty good correlation between memory bandwidth and performance. And so typically, the way you do it is you jack up your memory speed and widen your bus to open up performance. Unfortunately, both of those things drive up power.
Rick Bergman
[1440p]…that was kind of the performance level that we targeted. Now it depends on particular games and everybody's systems and so on, but I think you'll find that we have very good raytracing performance overall. And the game support will be strong as we go through 2021, because again, we get that great leverage. It's just built in: You support raytracing on Microsoft or Sony [consoles], you're supporting AMD on the PC side as well."
Rick Bergman
We don't have a lot of details that we want to talk about. So we called [our solution] FSR — FidelityFX Super Resolution. But we are committed to getting that feature implemented, and we're working with ISVs at this point. I'll just say AMD's approach on these types of technologies is to make sure we have broad platform support, and not require proprietary solutions [to be supported by] the ISVs. And that's the approach that we're taking. So as we go through next year, you'll get a lot more details on it.
Rick Bergman
[Given] the maturity of the x86 architecture now, the answer has to be, kind of, all of the above. If you looked at our technical document on Zen 3, it was this long list of things that we did to get that 19% [IPC uplift]. Zen 4 is going to have a similar long list of things, where you look at everything from the caches, to the branch prediction, [to] the number of gates in the execution pipeline. Everything is scrutinized to squeeze more performance out."
Nothing to disclose at this time. GPUs are increasingly complex, they're very logic-based, so they do take advantage of the advanced process nodes. But CPUs love [them] for the reasons we were just talking about --- for the IPC and the frequency [gains]. So we look at our product lineup and where the technology is, and how we want to manage risk and kind of pick the right product at the right time. For a lot of reasons I mentioned, [CPUs and GPUs] tend to line up at fairly similar timeframes at the end of the day, because we want to take advantage. We also look at when our foundry is really going to be ready for the type of volumes in [the] quality that we demand. And we don't land in two different timescales.
Rick Bergman
"I can't talk about unannounced products, but we're committed to the Threadripper family. And so you could certainly expect that we'll in the future continue to have products in that particular area. Absolutely."
Some good info here from AMD in my opinion
2020/11/11 18:55:07
kougar
That pretty much seals it then... AMD isn't confident TSMC will have the volume they need at 5nm for both RDNA 3 and Zen 4. TSMC supply is going to be a factor for a few years to come. 
2020/11/19 10:28:36
ivanson13
I read that 90-95 C is normal and okay for these CPUs. thats insane
2020/11/20 06:35:24
kingofpeanuts
ivanson13
I read that 90-95 C is normal and okay for these CPUs. thats insane

CPUs can withstand an insane amount!
2020/11/21 14:20:23
Bruno747
Committed to threadripper eh?

Looking forward to hearing what the next gen of threadripper entails.
2020/11/21 16:57:36
Nereus

Sounds like a lot of excuses...

2020/11/28 15:31:28
mathematical
Can't wait for their next threadripper series!
2020/12/03 10:59:35
Jjackbean
Ryzen have been upgrading itself! even though I'm using NVIDIA, I like Ryzen :) compete with nvidia and get their price down!! lol
2020/12/03 11:48:35
HeavyHemi
TL;DR? 

They have been doing this since the time they invented speed ratings for processors wherein they'd claim our processor at Clockspeed: 1.4 GHz but 'speed' rate it as comparable to a intel processor running at 1.6ghz and call it AMD Athlon(TM) XP1600+

Attached Image(s)

2020/12/05 00:57:25
misomalu
mathematical
Can't wait for their next threadripper series!

My wallet certainly can, especially if it requires a different socket or chipset 

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account