2020/11/26 10:56:28
vulcZ
Nereus
vulcZ
NVCP -> Power Management Mode "Optimal Power" -- setting to High Performance causes GPU clock speed bug that locks GPU clock at 1800mhz even while idle at desktop.

That's not a bug, it's supposed to do that.

Got it! I was having trouble finding an exact answer to that. I swear in the past it didn't behave that way (with my previous 2080S), but I could be wrong. The thing is though, going into that power mode generates more heat and dust because then my GPU is constantly above 60C so the fans kick in. But if you're saying it solves it, I'm willing to give it a shot just to verify, in which case it'll make me feel better about drivers hopefully fixing this in the future. People shouldn't be forced into that setting in order to gain stability on their desktop.
2020/11/26 11:18:35
LocutusHUN
vulcZ
LocutusHUN
vulcZ

...blah...
NVCP -> Power Management Mode "Optimal Power" -- setting to High Performance causes GPU clock speed bug that locks GPU clock at 1800mhz even while idle at desktop.
...blah...

And this is exactly the workaround, that prevents these black screens, until nvidia fixes their drivers.

You might right. I got an NVLDDMKM error last night. So I'm going to try that next. I don't like trying a lot of things at once because then it's harder for me to determine which one is responsible for improving things.

5 days uptime here now. Tried a lot of things, but rock stable.
Anyways, that new nvidia driver better releases soon. I dont want it in high clock mode forever.

2020/11/26 15:13:16
jamesleroux
Im running this fix, no reboots at idle since then. fingers crossed
2020/11/26 15:36:12
Nereus

I'm still good, 3 or 4 days now I think. Still not sure which 'fix' actually fixed the problem, it might have been the cable or the DP port on the card I was using, because I've switched off the Power Management Mode "Optimal Power" as it kept the card running quite a bit hotter, but still no black screens.

2020/11/27 13:14:46
dmisiur
Haven’t seen an issue since I replaced my cheap out of spec amazon cables.
2020/11/27 15:01:14
vanity_lost
Would try if having problem with my future kp card
2020/11/27 15:39:42
Baasha
I started having this issue since last night.

RTX 3090 FTW3 Ultra - black screened during gameplay. Hard rebooted several times and still no video signal. Power cycled three or four times and then randomly got signal back.

Then today, black screened during web browsing (no load on GPU) and had to hard reboot. Then black screened again during live stream - had to reboot since no video signal.

This is really getting on my nerves - an $1800 GPU that has these issues? I have 4x 3090 FE cards and none of them have any issue - using the same cables/monitors with those and they all work fine.

What is the solution?
2020/11/27 16:23:11
Nereus
Baasha
I started having this issue since last night.

RTX 3090 FTW3 Ultra - black screened during gameplay. Hard rebooted several times and still no video signal. Power cycled three or four times and then randomly got signal back.

Then today, black screened during web browsing (no load on GPU) and had to hard reboot. Then black screened again during live stream - had to reboot since no video signal.

This is really getting on my nerves - an $1800 GPU that has these issues? I have 4x 3090 FE cards and none of them have any issue - using the same cables/monitors with those and they all work fine.

What is the solution?

Try plugging your DP cable in another port from your 3090 card. Also you might need to buy a certified DP1.4 cable, seems a few people have found a sub-standard DP cable to be the issue (or HDMI if you're using that).

2020/11/27 18:06:05
Baasha
Nereus
Try plugging your DP cable in another port from your 3090 card. Also you might need to buy a certified DP1.4 cable, seems a few people have found a sub-standard DP cable to be the issue (or HDMI if you're using that).

Tried that and it didn't work. Now, the GPU has a red LED and no RGB - it seems completely dead. This is really infuriating. I swapped my RTX 3090 FE into the system with the same cables/monitors etc. and it works flawlessly. Just live streamed for over 1.5 hours with no issues at all - and I had the GPU OC'd as well. A side note, the FE card was ~ 10C cooler than the FTW3 Ultra with the same setup - that is quite surprising.

Anyway, I'm not sure if I have to RMA the card now or if there's a way to recover it - there's just a red LED when the PC starts and no video signal in any of the ports - tried 3 different ports (DP 1.4) and a HDMI connection - on 3 different monitors - zero video signal from the FTW3 Ultra.

My DP 1.4 cables are certified for 4K 120Hz.

2020/11/28 01:48:07
sparetimepc
Baasha
Nereus

Tried that and it didn't work. Now, the GPU has a red LED and no RGB - it seems completely dead. This is really infuriating. I swapped my RTX 3090 FE into the system with the same cables/monitors etc. and it works flawlessly. Just live streamed for over 1.5 hours with no issues at all - and I had the GPU OC'd as well. A side note, the FE card was ~ 10C cooler than the FTW3 Ultra with the same setup - that is quite surprising.

Anyway, I'm not sure if I have to RMA the card now or if there's a way to recover it - there's just a red LED when the PC starts and no video signal in any of the ports - tried 3 different ports (DP 1.4) and a HDMI connection - on 3 different monitors - zero video signal from the FTW3 Ultra.

My DP 1.4 cables are certified for 4K 120Hz.

I would say it's rma time for you my friend, sorry but probably your best option right now

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account