2020/11/24 06:36:47
Nereus

Just posted this on another thread, but I'll add it here, seems relevant:

I've been getting the nvlddmkm error multiple times playing Civ VI DX12. While looking for solutions, one thing I found which may impact black screens is changing power plan to 'High Performance' instead of the apparent default 'Balanced' in Windows 10, and then a couple of additional steps as follows:

Start button > Settings > System > Power & Sleep > Additional Power Settings (text link which opens a new window) > 

The window may only show 'Power Saver' and 'Balanced' plans - if so, click the little menu arrow for 'Additional Plans' and you'll find 'High Performance' there. Select it.

Next step is to click the text link 'Change Plan Settings' next to 'High Performance' and you'll be in a new screen where you can change display times etc. Below that is a text link 'Change Advanced Power Settings' ..click it. A new box will open titled "Power Options" and the drop down list at the top should now be showing 'High Performance (Active)'. If not, change it so it does. In the list below it, expand the 'PCI Express' option, and then expand the 'Link State Power Management' option. If it's not already set to "off", change it to 'off' and click 'Apply' at the bottom of the box.

That's it. Apparently it can help alleviate the nvlddmkm issue, and more relevant to this thread, it may also help with the black screens.. time will tell. The PCIe Link State Power Management setting is basically how long it takes to come out of sleep state (latency), but seems to have helped some people.

2020/11/24 10:28:10
vulcZ
Nereus

Just posted this on another thread, but I'll add it here, seems relevant:

I've been getting the nvlddmkm error multiple times playing Civ VI DX12. While looking for solutions, one thing I found which may impact black screens is changing power plan to 'High Performance' instead of the apparent default 'Balanced' in Windows 10, and then a couple of additional steps as follows:

Start button > Settings > System > Power & Sleep > Additional Power Settings (text link which opens a new window) > 

The window may only show 'Power Saver' and 'Balanced' plans - if so, click the little menu arrow for 'Additional Plans' and you'll find 'High Performance' there. Select it.

Next step is to click the text link 'Change Plan Settings' next to 'High Performance' and you'll be in a new screen where you can change display times etc. Below that is a text link 'Change Advanced Power Settings' ..click it. A new box will open titled "Power Options" and the drop down list at the top should now be showing 'High Performance (Active)'. If not, change it so it does. In the list below it, expand the 'PCI Express' option, and then expand the 'Link State Power Management' option. If it's not already set to "off", change it to 'off' and click 'Apply' at the bottom of the box.

That's it. Apparently it can help alleviate the nvlddmkm issue, and more relevant to this thread, it may also help with the black screens.. time will tell. The PCIe Link State Power Management setting is basically how long it takes to come out of sleep state (latency), but seems to have helped some people.

Thanks for sharing. I checked my settings and unfortunately for me I already have my settings set this way, and I still experience occasional black screens (with NVLDDMKM errors in event viewer). Happens rarely enough to where I can probably wait for a driver update. I'm still 99% sure this isn't a hardware issue, so no need to RMA.
2020/11/24 10:33:17
Cool GTX
vulcZ

Thanks for sharing. I checked my settings and unfortunately for me I already have my settings set this way, and I still experience occasional black screens (with NVLDDMKM errors in event viewer). Happens rarely enough to where I can probably wait for a driver update. I'm still 99% sure this isn't a hardware issue, so no need to RMA.

Windows Graphics settings:  Hardware-accelerated GPU scheduling  Turned On ?

Windows Power Option, set to ?

What Settings in Nvidia Control Panel have you set ?

Try --> Turn off Fast Boot in Windows

How to disable Windows 10 fast startup (and why you'd want to) | Windows Central
2020/11/24 15:02:31
vulcZ
Cool GTX
vulcZ

Windows Graphics settings:  Hardware-accelerated GPU scheduling  Turned On ?

Windows Power Option, set to ?

What Settings in Nvidia Control Panel have you set ?

Try --> Turn off Fast Boot in Windows

How to disable Windows 10 fast startup (and why you'd want to) | Windows Central

Hi there! I hadn't see the part about "Hardware-accelerated GPU scheduling" in Windows. I currently (and probably always?) have it disabled, but I just enabled. The rest of the options...
Windows Power Option -> Ryzen High Performance
NVCP -> Power Management Mode "Optimal Power" -- setting to High Performance causes GPU clock speed bug that locks GPU clock at 1800mhz even while idle at desktop.
Fast Boot -> Was "ON" but now "OFF"

Hopefully this helps, thank you so much!

2020/11/24 16:02:09
DiaBlox666
I've had my 3090 ftw3 ultra for almost a month and since yesterday I started getting black screen with all my monitors especially my tv that is connected to the hdmi port. It happens randomly all day and last a few seconds. 
2020/11/24 22:24:56
Stan137q
Hi Just got my 3090 FTW3 Ultra today and I'm getting less-than-a-second black screens. It happened while browsing and gaming. I've tried GeForce CP Power management mode to max, Debug Mode, all power options are already as they should and Hardware Accelerated GPU Scheduling is on as well. Hope this is a driver issue. I really don't want to RMA.
2020/11/24 23:44:09
LocutusHUN
vulcZ

...blah...
NVCP -> Power Management Mode "Optimal Power" -- setting to High Performance causes GPU clock speed bug that locks GPU clock at 1800mhz even while idle at desktop.
...blah...

And this is exactly the workaround, that prevents these black screens, until nvidia fixes their drivers.
2020/11/25 09:47:11
vulcZ
LocutusHUN
vulcZ

...blah...
...blah...

And this is exactly the workaround, that prevents these black screens, until nvidia fixes their drivers.

We'll see. I still haven't changed this option, but since changing the other 2 or 3 in my post above I haven't had a single black screen or NVLDDMKM error. But as always, fingers crossed :)
2020/11/25 09:49:58
Nereus
vulcZ

That's not a bug, it's supposed to do that.

2020/11/26 10:52:01
vulcZ
LocutusHUN
vulcZ

...blah...
...blah...

You might right. I got an NVLDDMKM error last night. So I'm going to try that next. I don't like trying a lot of things at once because then it's harder for me to determine which one is responsible for improving things.

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account