2020/10/20 14:16:11
yaggaz

Okay this is a really bizarre one.   Please let me know if you understand what is happening here. 

First of all, my card has been super silent with coil whine from day one.

So I am playing Bard's Tale IV all on max settings except no AA (a universal for me) and I was just watching the GPU temps and notice on average they were around 62c,  so I walk up to these two NPCs against the wall and my 2080 starts squeeling like crazy, very loud high pitched coil whine.  Then I notice my temp shoot up to 75c

I look away, squeel goes away and temps lower.   I turn back to these two NPCs and the squeel resumes and the temps raise.   It was in a tavern setting,  I went around and did the same to all the other groups of NPCs and this did not happen.

Anybody have an explanation for this weirdness? lol
2020/10/20 14:33:49
DeadlyMercury
vsync, framerate?
2020/10/20 14:42:26
yaggaz
DeadlyMercury
vsync, framerate?

vysnc off,  have a 144hz G-sync monitor.  Game is capped at 100fps.   My card melts when I unleash the framerates, it constantly throttles at 84c
2020/10/20 15:08:17
DeadlyMercury
It is not throttling, it is thermal target on default powerlimit/settings.

Did you checked fps when buzz occurs? Maybe because of some bug fps cap don't work in that location?
2020/10/20 19:57:45
yaggaz

Yeah it was capped at 100fps. Which stay at that when you are inside a tavern area.  The whole thing is just bizarre and I've never seen it before in another game.   
2020/10/21 12:22:20
HeavyHemi
yaggaz

Yeah it was capped at 100fps. Which stay at that when you are inside a tavern area.  The whole thing is just bizarre and I've never seen it before in another game.   

I know you're saying the FPS is capped, but is it? Is your on screen FPS 100?  I never have coil whine either... unless I on a menu or some other screen with hundreds of FPS and you hear it faintly change when moving the mouse.
2020/10/21 12:54:49
DeadlyMercury
Coil whine is also depend on gpu load and power consumption, not only framerate. Card can be silent under relatively low load but can whine in heavy games.
So it could be something gpu heavy in these npc, thats why temperature rises and whine occurs.

2020/10/21 14:50:57
yaggaz
HeavyHemi

I know you're saying the FPS is capped, but is it? Is your on screen FPS 100?  I never have coil whine either... unless I on a menu or some other screen with hundreds of FPS and you hear it faintly change when moving the mouse.

Universally I have my system in nvidia capped at 120.   If a game goes over 70c I make an individual profile and cap it at 100.   MSI afterburner is showing it capping at 100fps as well in game.

Maybe the devs had 100 npcs behind the wall they forgot to delete when they were building 
2020/10/22 01:29:29
DeadlyMercury
Did you check other parameters in afterburner? Like gpu load, gpu clocks, gpu power consumption in that place?
It seems that gpu load and gpu power consumptions should be higher than normal there.
2020/10/22 08:03:30
aka_STEVE_b
Definitely the weirdest game glitch I've heard in awhile.
Probably a bug in the Unreal engine coding that the Devs did wrong , causing texture or shader streaming improperly.
Their forums are full of issues ....

https://forums.inxile-entertainment.com/viewforum.php?f=60

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account