2020/10/19 01:30:18
sparetimepc
So has anyone seen yet what the thermal pad thickness is on the 3090 FTW3. If not EVGA could you please let us know. Thanks
2020/10/19 03:56:35
chumeniuk
Some of it's also putty and curious what pad could be used in its place.
2020/10/19 04:32:37
Hoggle
While I don't know the thickness it might be worth checking the tear down videos. I think that Gamers Nexus took apart a 3090 FTW3. I am guessing that anyone watching that video would want to know information like this and it probably came up.
2020/10/19 09:18:37
hallowen
It is hard to get an accurate measurement of the TIM pad thickness on my EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3 Ultra when I removed the heat sink assembly for the purposes of re-applying the GPU TIM.
The Memory TIM pads are of a very soft consistency and can be broken/stretched or marred when removing if you just try and pull them off.
As shown in the photos, I managed to lift them off with a wooden flat stick, But not without causing damage to the soft putty like TIM.
As far as that super soft putty that was "pasted" between and on the VRM's, I just cleaned all that off with Isopropyl alcohol and used some 1mm TIM strips as a temporary "fix" until I run some VRM temperature checks and compare it to my SECOND FTW3 Ultra that I have not disassembled yet.
The photo of the back of the PCB with the Metal "heat sink" removed shows the memory TIM after I removed it with little damage to them because I did not try and remove them from the chips as I did on the front PCB components.

Attached Image(s)

2020/10/19 11:17:18
zurvv
All the pads are too thick :(

the 1mm is getting an imprint? that "feels" to small.. my gut is wrong much of the time. :D 

/me waits for someone to make a waterblock....
2020/10/19 11:33:17
EVGA_JacobF
They vary in size depending on the location.
2020/10/19 11:42:17
scooby72
On a related note, if one were to attach a water block (Hydro Copper or otherwise), and later have to reattach the original cooler for an RMA, that would likely require replacing the thermal interface materials (especially the putty). Would that cause RMA issues if you replaced it with something not EVGA-issue? Could you request a replacement TIM "kit" from EVGA support?
2020/10/20 07:10:17
zurvv
EVGA_JacobF

Would you happen to know what they all are for people that opened up their cards?
A few of my pads ripped when i changed the paste. (i'd also like to replace the putty stuff.)
2020/10/20 07:45:58
transdogmifier
zurvv
EVGA_JacobF

Would you happen to know what they all are for people that opened up their cards?
A few of my pads ripped when i changed the paste. (i'd also like to replace the putty stuff.)

This...and I'd also like to know what putty to use on the putty areas....I want to reapply TIM.

2020/10/20 10:19:46
Jsunn
Interested in this as well.

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account