2020/10/18 13:35:53
ToeKneeAy
Any recommendations on brands/models? I've seen some reports about this same issue with other PSUs and since I'll need to order online and wait for it to arrive I want to make sure to get something reliable the first time.
2020/10/18 13:40:22
DIRTRAT11
Seasonic makes a very good quality Power Supply! There are other good ones but this is my favorite.
2020/10/18 13:46:00
ToeKneeAy
Frammish

Thanks!
2020/10/18 13:49:40
rain2_usa
Unlikely suspect but did you turn off the Smart Zero Fan?  Wonder if the PSU is protecting itself from overheating.  Just a thought with so much power draw. 
2020/10/18 14:00:57
ToeKneeAy
rain2_usa
Unlikely suspect but did you turn off the Smart Zero Fan?  Wonder if the PSU is protecting itself from overheating.  Just a thought with so much power draw. 

It was off with the most recent switch out but did not seem to make a difference between on/off. Thanks for the suggestion though!

I went to the other thread to look for suggestions and was able to find a corsair rmx 850 available at a best buy a bit further out from my normal but still local. Going to grab it today and try it out. Will update everyone, I appreciate the responses!
2020/10/18 20:14:56
ToeKneeAy
Update: installed the new PSU and it's been good so far, thanks for the suggestions!
2020/10/18 20:29:07
ty_ger07
I was going to say power supply.
Then I saw your picture. Definitely power supply (indirectly).
Then you said that when it shuts down, you have to wait 5 minutes before it will turn back on.
Again, power supply (indirectly).

Do you know what was wrong? Not the power supply.

What was wrong: airflow.

Look how you had the power supply installed! It has no airflow! It was overheating, turning off, and wouldn't turn back on until it cooled back down.

Your new power supply will have the same problem if you made the same airflow mistake.

Dude, what in the world!?!

There was nothing wrong with your power supply. Do NOT put it on the list of power supplies which are supposedly suspect of having 3080 transient response issues.

You had the fan facing up into a piece of metal rather than turning the power supply over and letting it get fresh air from the hole in the bottom of your case which is specifically designed for that purpose.
2020/10/18 20:32:07
jankerson
ty_ger07
Then you said that when it shuts down, you have to wait 5 minutes before it will turn back on.

Look how you had the power supply installed! It has no airflow! It waa overheating, turning off, and wouldn't turn back on until it cooled back down.

Your new power supply will have the same problem if you made the same airflow mistake.

Yeah, he has the PSU fan blocked off with no airflow.

The fan needs to be facing down.

2020/10/18 22:15:24
ToeKneeAy
ty_ger07

Look how you had the power supply installed! It has no airflow! It was overheating, turning off, and wouldn't turn back on until it cooled back down.

Dude, what in the world!?!

There was nothing wrong with your power supply. Do NOT put it on the list of power supplies which are supposedly suspect of having 3080 transient response issues.

You had the fan facing up into a piece of metal rather than turning the power supply over and letting it get fresh air from the hole in the bottom of your case which is specifically designed for that purpose.

I just looked at the picture...wow I am dumb. New one is probably running well as I didn't do that again.

Let this be a lesson to anyone that reads this :) Thanks man.

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account