2020/10/17 14:46:18
KingEngineRevUp
Blazk0
Hello,

I received my EVGA RTX 3080 FTW Ultra about a week ago. I have noticed that thing has VERY hot temps (idle and underload). My room is about 70F and y card is idling at 50c with ALL fans off. I have attached a link to the screenshot of Precision X1 showing my temps.

I noticed when playing Modern Warfare at 1440p ( everything maxed out) my card would be around 78-84c , but it did get up to 85c at one point , but only for a moment. Obviously, i could just keep my fans on all the time, but i shouldn't HAVE to do that. I know EVGA didn't put thermal pads on the memory modules under the back plate- I'm sure they had good reason not too (or not).

This card is already scaring me a- and i feel it wont last like this-it feels like its running too hot. I fear if I RMA it, i wont get a card for a long time.

Has anyone had the same issues as me? Should I RMA it and get another one? I would like some advice on what to do. Thanks guys

SCREENSHOT OF MY TEMPS AND FANS:

Can't help you unless if you tell is more information. What are you fan speeds running at? BTW, there are no screenshots in your post. 
2020/10/17 14:55:10
ReZpawN
vegnar
bloodshot45
Sounds like you haven't adjusted the fan speeds. Just raise all 3 fan speeds to max and retest. Mine hits 65-70 max under load.

So I keep reading and many say just ramp up the fans to 100% and it will get to 70c. Other cards are achieving low 60s without the fans running 100 the Tuf and Eagle card are also their $700 entry level card and they probably don't use their best cooler that is for sure saved for the Strix, Aorus, etc. How can anyone accept a jet engine just to get decent level of cooling is beyond me.

I'm concerned I should be getting an email for XC3 ultra soon and almost expect the that card will be high 70s /low 80s and obviously I hope is not the case. I'm going to have to get the hybrid kit which will add a premium.

i have ftw3 ultra and with 450w bios it sits at 58-59c in stress tests 
2020/10/17 15:00:33
nolaes619
Just make sure your fan is running, mine for ex runs at 70% all the time especially when gaming, the fan is there for a reason. My temp with load is around 60-65 celcius + OC. So just make sure your fan is running
2020/10/17 15:26:02
vegnar
liud21
vegnar
bloodshot45
Sounds like you haven't adjusted the fan speeds. Just raise all 3 fan speeds to max and retest. Mine hits 65-70 max under load.

So I keep reading and many say just ramp up the fans to 100% and it will get to 70c. Other cards are achieving low 60s without the fans running 100 the Tuf and Eagle card are also their $700 entry level card and they probably don't use their best cooler that is for sure saved for the Strix, Aorus, etc. How can anyone accept a jet engine just to get decent level of cooling is beyond me.

I'm concerned I should be getting an email for XC3 ultra soon and almost expect the that card will be high 70s /low 80s and obviously I hope is not the case. I'm going to have to get the hybrid kit which will add a premium.
it's brand loyalty, makes people unable to see the truth/fault unless they themselves test it out....

Brand loyalists ? Like yourself maybe unable to see if there is really a problem from the brand? I'm assuming you think I'm a brand loyalist to the Asus TUF or Gigabyte Eagle which by your comment it already defies your assumption since that's two brands.

Oh and I guess I am an EVGA brand loyalist because my last 3 cards have been the 980ti, 1080ti and 2080ti Hybrids but I'm also willing to ask and talk and even criticize if need to about the brand...so yeah I'm not really fan of anything I just want the best at the time and if I read about a potential problem (we can't really buy all of the models to test like reviewers do) I will ask and research as much before I commit.

We are in a tough situation with the 3080 stock, since evga has been the only company willing to help legit customers which we all applaud them for it seems that's the only way I will be able to get the 3080 and that will be my 4th card in a row from them but if I still don't have the email and the Navi gets released and that's available for example I'll grab that provided it has good cooling/no issues.
2020/10/17 15:53:50
liud21
vegnar
liud21
vegnar
bloodshot45

it's brand loyalty, makes people unable to see the truth/fault unless they themselves test it out....

Brand loyalists ? Like yourself maybe unable to see if there is really a problem from the brand? I'm assuming you think I'm a brand loyalist to the Asus TUF or Gigabyte Eagle which by your comment it already defies your assumption since that's two brands.

Oh and I guess I am an EVGA brand loyalist because my last 3 cards have been the 980ti, 1080ti and 2080ti Hybrids but I'm also willing to ask and talk and even criticize if need to about the brand...so yeah I'm not really fan of anything I just want the best at the time and if I read about a potential problem (we can't really buy all of the models to test like reviewers do) I will ask and research as much before I commit.

We are in a tough situation with the 3080 stock, since evga has been the only company willing to help legit customers which we all applaud them for it seems that's the only way I will be able to get the 3080 and that will be my 4th card in a row from them but if I still don't have the email and the Navi gets released and that's available for example I'll grab that provided it has good cooling/no issues.

My Dude, You asked "How can anyone accept a jet engine just to get decent level of cooling is beyond me." I answered with my original post. It was not directed at you... lol
2020/10/17 15:55:46
vegnar
liud21
vegnar
liud21
vegnar
bloodshot45

My Dude, You asked "How can anyone accept a jet engine just to get decent level of cooling is beyond me." I answered with my original post. It was not directed at you... lol

Haha yeah I apologize after I posted and re read your comment I was oops he wasn't calling me a fanboy.

I'm at work so reading this fast and such didn't take the time to read it. Sorry
2020/10/18 13:05:18
ngaugler
mchang1984
If you want to stay air-cooled with the cooler, then the best thing you can do is upgrade the thermal paste.

Change it to Arctic Silver MX-4 or Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut.

Use 90% Alcohol or higher to clean off the old paste before re-pasting.
What type of temperature reductions have been reported by going through this process?

2020/10/18 13:31:25
CHammock
Are your NV settings set for Prefer Max Performance? If so the card will run at max all the time, in the case of the Ultra that is 1800Mhz.  Change settings to Optimal Power and you'll see the card downclock and run cooler when idle.
2020/10/18 14:27:11
Antibuddha
When the card is running, look at the fans and make sure all of them are spinning fast.

The temperature is simply too high. Either there is one or two fans not spinning, a defect such as bent PCB or poor GPU chip to heatsink contact, or your computer case has horrible airflow.
2020/10/18 15:20:51
proxy001
FS at max settings, GPU use 80-99% temps are 68-72c with aggressive fan curve. 
I moved my pc to a more ventilated area and that helped. Also my room is 82. 

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account