2020/10/17 10:28:12
Blazk0
Hello,

I received my EVGA RTX 3080 FTW Ultra about a week ago. I have noticed that thing has VERY hot temps (idle and underload). My room is about 70F and y card is idling at 50c with ALL fans off. I have attached a link to the screenshot of Precision X1 showing my temps.

I noticed when playing Modern Warfare at 1440p ( everything maxed out) my card would be around 78-84c , but it did get up to 85c at one point , but only for a moment. Obviously, i could just keep my fans on all the time, but i shouldn't HAVE to do that. I know EVGA didn't put thermal pads on the memory modules under the back plate- I'm sure they had good reason not too (or not).

This card is already scaring me a- and i feel it wont last like this-it feels like its running too hot. I fear if I RMA it, i wont get a card for a long time.

Has anyone had the same issues as me? Should I RMA it and get another one? I would like some advice on what to do. Thanks guys

SCREENSHOT OF MY TEMPS AND FANS:
2020/10/17 10:30:27
Huntercyril
1) The cards can run much hotter (around 93°C) but it's indeed " too hot for the norm ", that would be what the XC3 temperature might be and not the FTW3 which cools better than the XC3.
2) Try opening the side panel of your case, it might be an airflow issue of your case. If you see the temperatures decreasing significantly that means your case doesn't have enough intake air or doesn't exhaust air enough and that you need to add more fans or increase speed of the fans already there. That might be especially true if your case has a solid front panel that prevent air from getting in (even if it has the stupid small holes to allegedly get air onto the case)
2020/10/17 10:48:44
arestavo
The FTW3 has 2 VBIOSs - the one it ships with enabled is Normal and has a 0dB fan function where the fans stay off until 60C. If you want to fans to run before that temp, set the the VBIOS switch on the side of the card (easy to see the cutout on the backplate) to OC and reboot. Or set a manual fan curve in PX1 or Afterburner.

85C for the GPU core is warm, but not overheating. These cards are rated to 91C before they start to truly thermal throttle. Without knowing your setup (case, fans, airflow) - an easy test to see if you're being limited by your case/fans - remove the side panel of your case. If temperatures improve then your case airflow isn't good for a card that dumps all of the heat back into the case.
2020/10/17 10:53:06
whicker
Mine idles in the low 30c and in games it's in the 60c range with a 21c ambient.
2020/10/17 10:54:45
Saltgrass
What are the LEDs showing and are all the same color? 
2020/10/17 13:08:47
bloodshot45
Sounds like you haven't adjusted the fan speeds. Just raise all 3 fan speeds to max and retest. Mine hits 65-70 max under load.
2020/10/17 13:37:07
mchang1984
If you want to stay air-cooled with the cooler, then the best thing you can do is upgrade the thermal paste.

Change it to Arctic Silver MX-4 or Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut.

Use 90% Alcohol or higher to clean off the old paste before re-pasting.
2020/10/17 14:21:44
vegnar
bloodshot45
Sounds like you haven't adjusted the fan speeds. Just raise all 3 fan speeds to max and retest. Mine hits 65-70 max under load.

So I keep reading and many say just ramp up the fans to 100% and it will get to 70c. Other cards are achieving low 60s without the fans running 100 the Tuf and Eagle card are also their $700 entry level card and they probably don't use their best cooler that is for sure saved for the Strix, Aorus, etc. How can anyone accept a jet engine just to get decent level of cooling is beyond me.

I'm concerned I should be getting an email for XC3 ultra soon and almost expect the that card will be high 70s /low 80s and obviously I hope is not the case. I'm going to have to get the hybrid kit which will add a premium.
2020/10/17 14:43:02
liud21
vegnar
bloodshot45

So I keep reading and many say just ramp up the fans to 100% and it will get to 70c. Other cards are achieving low 60s without the fans running 100 the Tuf and Eagle card are also their $700 entry level card and they probably don't use their best cooler that is for sure saved for the Strix, Aorus, etc. How can anyone accept a jet engine just to get decent level of cooling is beyond me.

I'm concerned I should be getting an email for XC3 ultra soon and almost expect the that card will be high 70s /low 80s and obviously I hope is not the case. I'm going to have to get the hybrid kit which will add a premium.
it's brand loyalty, makes people unable to see the truth/fault unless they themselves test it out....
2020/10/17 14:45:22
Phil6970
My 1080ti was running 60+ centigrade last week when I wasnt doing anything and I found an app called "Guard.exe" was using the card (I looked at the performance side of Task manager, and the process PID).
Guard.exe (the legitimate version of it)  is part of an antivirus program, but not one I have loaded.
In this case its malware/virus that mines bitcoin on your GPU.

Windows defender failed to detect and remove it, Malwarebytes did the job ok, but I have only the free version that needs to be ran manually.

This would raise your temps and worth looking for.
Maybe not the cause of your issue, but it is something that should be considered when trying to diagnose unusual card temps.

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account