2020/10/26 21:18:53
mobhill
seth89
Brad_Hawthorne
mobhill
As an astronomer, I am a bit concerned about all the satellites. Luckily I am not into astrophotography (you thought computer components were expensive...whew!) but I still see a lot of satellite activity every time I use my scope. 

I'm actually into astrophotography. Frankly, I think it's also interesting to capture the Starlink trains too though with photography. Both things look pretty cool to photograph. Starlink is a short term issue. Give it 20-30 years and there'll be Moon based radio and optical telescopes that put anything terrestrial to shame.

YES!
Starlink will fund Mars and moon exploration/colonies. Sure a hobby may be lost but what data will gain by mounting observation equipment to the dark side of the moon and mars?

We need to get pass the observation phase and start exploring, we won't have the chance ever again.

Oh, I don't begrudge Musk anything he is doing to get us off this rock, believe me! I don't think any amount of increased data or new discoveries will dampen the pleasure of looking at the stars with your own eyes, though. Most people haven't even seen the Milky Way in full glory! No joke, my sister had a boyfriend who thought she was lying about seeing the Milky Way in the sky lol. Anyway, I am hopeful that the passion will live on- people have been staring up at the stars for thousands (millions?) of years, and I don't expect that to stop anytime soon, no matter what Musk does or doesn't do! 
2020/10/28 20:25:46
seth89
mobhill
seth89
Brad_Hawthorne
mobhill
As an astronomer, I am a bit concerned about all the satellites. Luckily I am not into astrophotography (you thought computer components were expensive...whew!) but I still see a lot of satellite activity every time I use my scope. 

I'm actually into astrophotography. Frankly, I think it's also interesting to capture the Starlink trains too though with photography. Both things look pretty cool to photograph. Starlink is a short term issue. Give it 20-30 years and there'll be Moon based radio and optical telescopes that put anything terrestrial to shame.

YES!
Starlink will fund Mars and moon exploration/colonies. Sure a hobby may be lost but what data will gain by mounting observation equipment to the dark side of the moon and mars?

We need to get pass the observation phase and start exploring, we won't have the chance ever again.

Oh, I don't begrudge Musk anything he is doing to get us off this rock, believe me! I don't think any amount of increased data or new discoveries will dampen the pleasure of looking at the stars with your own eyes, though. Most people haven't even seen the Milky Way in full glory! No joke, my sister had a boyfriend who thought she was lying about seeing the Milky Way in the sky lol. Anyway, I am hopeful that the passion will live on- people have been staring up at the stars for thousands (millions?) of years, and I don't expect that to stop anytime soon, no matter what Musk does or doesn't do! 

The primary complaint I see is that long exposure photography is impossible because the sats leave many streaks in the image due to light hitting the sats and the sats being so low at about 500 miles.
I get it, I feel for the people who may be hurt by this, but its time to stop looking at the stars and time to get back out there.

I remember when I was about 9-10 I realize I needed glasses. I remember the first time I looked up at the sky and saw stars. 

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account