2020/10/21 23:17:11
GTXJackBauer
Cool stuff but I feel there's too much 'space junk' out there for us astronomers.  You won't be able to get a clear sky without a object passing by.  I actually got spooked the first time I used my telescope last year.  I thought I was seeing bats but later realized they were satelites flying passed the moon.
2020/10/22 15:02:10
kougar
ty_ger07
Are you serious?  Is he serious?  What a tool.

A 6 minute to 44 minute ping (best case)? With relays orbiting the sun?

Let's be honest. He just says whatever will get him attention. Maybe you didn't know that?

Doesn't mean he's not wrong, the issues with latency and bandwidth in particular have been a problem for some time. Something will have to be done to increase the bandwidth between Earth and Mars for upcoming missions. https://arstechnica.com/s...et-service-looks-like/
2020/10/22 16:14:59
ty_ger07
Well, the latency can't be improved. That's the nature of physics. ... Unless they can figure out how to make a quantum entanglement communication system which never comes untangled. If anything, adding relays will increase latency, not decrease.
2020/10/22 17:27:06
Cordorb
Item in low orbit have a short life if there is no way to add energy to get it higher. (ie ion jets)
I Want to see more about his sat to sat laser link 
--
Even the Solar sail sat project using sun light to get part of the orbit higher has a net loss.
--
Speaking of  his projects - where is his Tesla he sent towards Mars ?

2020/10/23 15:28:04
kougar
ty_ger07
Well, the latency can't be improved. That's the nature of physics. ... Unless they can figure out how to make a quantum entanglement communication system which never comes untangled. If anything, adding relays will increase latency, not decrease.

Probably so, but the bandwidth has been the largest problem. What's the point of sending an advanced rover to mars if the data it generates in a single day requires a week to transmit back? Currently the Mars Reconnaissance Orbiter acts as the main relay between Martian probes and earth, but it wasn't designed to be a high-bandwidth comsat for all the devices operating on Mars. It has a fixed size storage buffer and it's just one sat orbiting the planet. 

Cordorb
Item in low orbit have a short life if there is no way to add energy to get it higher. (ie ion jets)
I Want to see more about his sat to sat laser link 
--
Even the Solar sail sat project using sun light to get part of the orbit higher has a net loss.
--
Speaking of  his projects - where is his Tesla he sent towards Mars ?

Each Starlink sat has an ion thruster, that's why it takes them a few months to climb to their final orbits. As for the Tesla, here you go: https://twitter.com/plane...us/1313942755572359175
2020/10/25 08:21:01
Nereus
Bruno747
I can't wait for the day a satellite malfunctions and we have so much crap in orbit that one smacking another causes a massive chain reaction that takes out like 40% of satellites.

It's gonna be satisfying to watch then ensuing chaos.

There would literally have to be multiple trillions of them up there, and even then it would be like hoping a car accident in NYC takes out a minivan in Atlantic City.

2020/10/26 12:02:15
mobhill
As an astronomer, I am a bit concerned about all the satellites. Luckily I am not into astrophotography (you thought computer components were expensive...whew!) but I still see a lot of satellite activity every time I use my scope. 
2020/10/26 12:46:53
Brad_Hawthorne
mobhill
As an astronomer, I am a bit concerned about all the satellites. Luckily I am not into astrophotography (you thought computer components were expensive...whew!) but I still see a lot of satellite activity every time I use my scope. 

I'm actually into astrophotography. Frankly, I think it's also interesting to capture the Starlink trains too though with photography. Both things look pretty cool to photograph. Starlink is a short term issue. Give it 20-30 years and there'll be Moon based radio and optical telescopes that put anything terrestrial to shame.
2020/10/26 14:48:59
seth89
Brad_Hawthorne
mobhill

I'm actually into astrophotography. Frankly, I think it's also interesting to capture the Starlink trains too though with photography. Both things look pretty cool to photograph. Starlink is a short term issue. Give it 20-30 years and there'll be Moon based radio and optical telescopes that put anything terrestrial to shame.

YES!
Starlink will fund Mars and moon exploration/colonies. Sure a hobby may be lost but what data will gain by mounting observation equipment to the dark side of the moon and mars?

We need to get pass the observation phase and start exploring, we won't have the chance ever again.
2020/10/26 20:50:53
Cordorb
"wait for the day a satellite malfunctions"   there is not need to wait !!

checking my "way back machine"

Chinese Missile Destroys Satellite in 500-Mile Orbit

January 19, 20074:00 PM ET

https://www.npr.org/templ...ry.php?storyId=6923805
This satellite was maybe 3/4 of a ton in mass," Wright says. "And it would have thrown off about 2 million pieces that were bigger than a millimeter in size. Sounds pretty small but at speed going a millimeter object could be deadly."

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account