2020/10/17 14:47:53
kougar
ty_ger07
Why are there so many already de-orbiting and burning up?

Test models, some were pre-production hardware sent up as proof-of-concept and for testing. Last I'd read, SpaceX has over 700 sats in orbit, not counting 60 it has de-orbited. Looking like March for the public beta at the current time. 

Cool GTX
interesting project, not going to compete with big cable ISPs though it is good news for those that have no options

It will compete with DSL though, and only cities get cable. Most of the US is DSL at best. I am willing to bet Starlink will also compete with telecoms, so that will be interesting to see. Imagine paying for home internet but being able to get cell reception literally anywhere without having to pay extra. 
2020/10/17 16:39:52
Brad_Hawthorne
Where this tech will really shine is with disaster response where infrastructure is taken out. They really need a version of the antenna for this that is vehicle and aircraft mount. I'd get 2 for my squadron's vehicles and one for my squadron aircraft.

https://techcrunch.com/20...saster-relief-workers/
2020/10/18 04:21:52
Brad_Hawthorne
For those interested, the next launch is in about an hour:

2020/10/20 17:20:05
seth89
Cool GTX
interesting project, not going to compete with big cable ISPs though it is good news for those that have no options

It will when it's all done. Elon says 1 gig down and a ping from anywhere in the world of 40ms. 
Even if 300mbps lots of people in the US will dump Comcast, Altice, ect for this.
IMO
2020/10/20 20:34:48
castrator86
seth89
Cool GTX

It will when it's all done. Elon says 1 gig down and a ping from anywhere in the world of 40ms. 
Even if 300mbps lots of people in the US will dump Comcast, Altice, ect for this.
IMO

Yup. I'm paying $69.99 a month for 100mbps. I despise Spectrum and if there were literally any alternative in my area I'd be using it.
2020/10/20 23:07:53
Bruno747
I can't wait for the day a satellite malfunctions and we have so much crap in orbit that one smacking another causes a massive chain reaction that takes out like 40% of satellites.

It's gonna be satisfying to watch then ensuing chaos.
2020/10/21 12:17:40
kougar
Bruno747
I can't wait for the day a satellite malfunctions and we have so much crap in orbit that one smacking another causes a massive chain reaction that takes out like 40% of satellites.

It's gonna be satisfying to watch then ensuing chaos.

Hope you enjoy living without a cellphone, or paying 5x as much for it then. Or don't use satellite TV, SiriusXM Radio, or GPS. Kids these days wouldn't know the first thing about navigating via paper maps. 
2020/10/21 17:00:42
seth89
Did you see Elon says Mars will get Starlink and they'll place a few relays in-between earth and mars?

Dude is pretty cool.

also said there may be a pressurized version of Cyber Truck too. 
2020/10/21 19:21:39
yodap
castrator86
seth89
Cool GTX

IMO

Yup. I'm paying $69.99 a month for 100mbps. I despise Spectrum and if there were literally any alternative in my area I'd be using it.

You and me both brother! Look up turd in a dictionary and you’ll see a Spectrum ad. 

Sorry for the mini rant Brad!
2020/10/21 21:34:21
ty_ger07
seth89
Did you see Elon says Mars will get Starlink and they'll place a few relays in-between earth and mars?

Dude is pretty cool.

also said there may be a pressurized version of Cyber Truck too. 

Are you serious?  Is he serious?  What a tool.

A 6 minute to 44 minute ping (best case)? With relays orbiting the sun?

Let's be honest. He just says whatever will get him attention. Maybe you didn't know that?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2h6Cz4hwuEI&t=7m0s

^^ The height of stupidity.

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account