2020/10/15 14:08:11
MrSix18
BEFORE I START...I DO NOT 
A) need someone to explain to me the possible dangers, risks, problems etc etc associated with changing the GPU bios
 B) need the explanation of 8pin, 6 pin and PCIE wattage output & how the XC Ultra only has a 6pin+8pin power unlike 8+8 FTW3
C) i know the FTW3 has a custom PCB and not reference like the XC Ultra and therefore it got the 351W limit  vs 292W

now the big question comes, has anyone successfully done it without burning their PC to the ground?  i understand its not thattttt much more wattage coming through, but at the same time, its STILL a 6pin 8pin +PCIE power... ive changed countless bios before, but never when theres this much difference in the wattage, through a smaller connector (almost 40w higher limit, through a 6/8pin vs 8/8 pin)

so all in all, has anyone successfully done it?  and if so how far did you push your card % wise over the current 117% limit with this bios.  

Thank you all in advance!!! ive searched far & wide, so far seems only a few have done it but did not say succesfully and if they decided to keep the FTW3 bios for good, and finally...how far they pushed the card with the 130% power limit bios vs the 117%

Thanks guys!!!!

2020/10/15 14:29:01
HeavyHemi
MrSix18
BEFORE I START...I DO NOT 
A) need someone to explain to me the possible dangers, risks, problems etc etc associated with changing the GPU bios
 B) need the explanation of 8pin, 6 pin and PCIE wattage output & how the XC Ultra only has a 6pin+8pin power unlike 8+8 FTW3
C) i know the FTW3 has a custom PCB and not reference like the XC Ultra and therefore it got the 351W limit  vs 292W

now the big question comes, has anyone successfully done it without burning their PC to the ground?  i understand its not thattttt much more wattage coming through, but at the same time, its STILL a 6pin 8pin +PCIE power... ive changed countless bios before, but never when theres this much difference in the wattage, through a smaller connector (almost 40w higher limit, through a 6/8pin vs 8/8 pin)

so all in all, has anyone successfully done it?  and if so how far did you push your card % wise over the current 117% limit with this bios.  

Thank you all in advance!!! ive searched far & wide, so far seems only a few have done it but did not say succesfully and if they decided to keep the FTW3 bios for good, and finally...how far they pushed the card with the 130% power limit bios vs the 117%

Thanks guys!!!!

Do you need someone to explain to you that the BIOS also controls the PWM sections and how power is allotted between the slot power and PCIe power inputs? The main worry would be overloading the PWM as it is not designed for the increased power. 60 watts at ~1v is still 60 amps of current as seen by the PWM.
2020/10/15 16:25:02
arestavo
Yes, it worked for my 2080 Super XC Ultra, which I had under an AiO watercooler until I sawpped it out for a 3090.

Edit: Time Spy and Port Royal benchmarks:
https://www.3dmark.com/spy/12866590
https://www.3dmark.com/pr/297446
2020/10/16 05:16:56
MrSix18
@arestavo Thank you!!!!

exactly what i was looking for!! and you even posted benchmarks and clocks to boot! thank you for not trying to give me the history lesson and just answering the question! one of the reason i dont post on this forum much is all the "smart guys trying to be smart"
2020/10/16 10:39:42
HeavyHemi
MrSix18
@arestavo Thank you!!!!

exactly what i was looking for!! and you even posted benchmarks and clocks to boot! thank you for not trying to give me the history lesson and just answering the question! one of the reason i dont post on this forum much is all the "smart guys trying to be smart"

One of the reasons I participate less and spend less of my own time helping folks out is 'smart guys like you trying to be smart'.  Wow.
2020/11/02 00:52:52
MrSix18
i dont see anything where i said less time helping folks out? i am and have been on 4 other forums for more than 10+ years. the reason i dont choose to be on THIS forum is again, people like you, i believe i said....quote "one of the reasons i dont post on this forum much is all the smart guys trying to be smart" (minus the "s" on reason, because i didnt catch my accidental grammatical error.  but since you decided to interpret it like that..  this applies to you... smart guys trying to be smart, and adding words where they dont belong.  

you are the EXACT reason i dont use this forum except for the elite membership on my wifes account! bye now
2020/11/02 10:25:04
HeavyHemi
MrSix18
i dont see anything where i said less time helping folks out? i am and have been on 4 other forums for more than 10+ years. the reason i dont choose to be on THIS forum is again, people like you, i believe i said....quote "one of the reasons i dont post on this forum much is all the smart guys trying to be smart" (minus the "s" on reason, because i didnt catch my accidental grammatical error.  but since you decided to interpret it like that..  this applies to you... smart guys trying to be smart, and adding words where they dont belong.  

you are the EXACT reason i dont use this forum except for the elite membership on my wifes account! bye now

I apologize for the history lesson that upset you so much. It is pretty much standard to warn NEW FOLKS asking about FLASHING A BIOS, about the hazards. I was unaware of your decades of experience and how fragile your ego is. If anyone was confused you were insulting me personally for no reason, you certainly cleared that up. I'd use a different account too. Have a nice day.

Edit

BTW, that was a nice touch, tagging my post as 'Best Answer' just to make sure I'd get an email to come here to enjoy your kind words and comments. Again, you are a credit to the community!

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account