2021/02/09 03:06:02
Drwaffles
Ok seems to work fairly well, far from perfect but it's an improvment and I'm happy enough.
Obviously your own risk, results may vary, if problems persist please see your healthcare professional etc.

I tried to use my amp clamp to measure the PCIE connectors, but it sadly didn't work that well.. It was designed for checking parastic currents draw, polling rate was far too slow.

So I tried the Strix OC bios, but that didn't seem to improve anything, and along with loosing a display port functionality it reported 0 watts on the third PCIE pin..Tried quite a few more and had no success either.
Ended up try the bios for the MSI suprim X even though they were only rated at 430w, success.
This one is the one I specifcally used https://www.techpowerup.com/vgabios/228139/msi-rtx3080-10240-201123

If you're not familiar with bios flashing, google is your friend.. With a dual bios switch, it's pretty difficult to screw up.
Happy to do a guide, but there are plenty out there.

Un-tested:
  • HDMI port
  • Fan control (I've got a Ek block, somebody else will need to see how it goes)
  • RGB (see above)

Pros:
  • Got all 3 display ports (Haven't tried HDMI but they're the same layout so I'm assuming it'll work)
  • No more early power throttling! It still will throttle, it's not like a double shunt mod where it'll just go wild, but it seems to be able to draw quite a bit more (Or at the very least not be as scared of approaching the 410w mark)
  • Profit!

Cons:
  • Loose ICX sensor readout
  • Reported power usage is under-reported

Test conducted:
Loaded a save in CP2077 with the settings cranked up at the cherry blossom market.
Logged for a few minutes, some values averages - Screencap
Bios change back to the XOC switch position
checked msi clock curve exactly the same
Repeated..
Can see the reported power draw is significantly less..

Most interestingly is the pins that are reporting 9.9v are the ones that are being under-reported, makes sense... But the PCIE slot appears to be reporting correctly, and drawing more current.. XOC on mine almost never drew above 45w, something funky going on with the load balancing.

Results:
You can see the GPU on XOC is power limited, even when only at 108% TDP.. It happened to scren cap at 2100mhz, but voltage and was dropping regularly down well below the locked 1100mv.

SO WHY EVGA ON A XOC 450w APPARENT VBIOS DOES IT THROTTLE AGRESSIVLY ON AVERAGE AROUND 108% TDP, YOU CAN SEE THE LIMITER SOLID GREEN AND IT WAS AVERAGING 410W BOARD DRAW!
It's done this since day one, and pi55ed me off to no end..

Not sure what the issue with the XOC bios is, but I won't be using it anymore..
Since this vbios flash, my games have stopped crashing too.. Presumable due to the more steady frequency/voltage.

https://i.imgur.com/RbnggRg.jpg

2021/02/09 05:05:02
evga202102
nice bios, what's the power limit?
2021/02/09 08:14:00
samueloa84
Drwaffles
Ok seems to work fairly well, far from perfect but it's an improvment and I'm happy enough.
Obviously your own risk, results may vary, if problems persist please see your healthcare professional etc.

I tried to use my amp clamp to measure the PCIE connectors, but it sadly didn't work that well.. It was designed for checking parastic currents draw, polling rate was far too slow.

So I tried the Strix OC bios, but that didn't seem to improve anything, and along with loosing a display port functionality it reported 0 watts on the third PCIE pin..Tried quite a few more and had no success either.
Ended up try the bios for the MSI suprim X even though they were only rated at 430w, success.
This one is the one I specifcally used https://www.techpowerup.com/vgabios/228139/msi-rtx3080-10240-201123

If you're not familiar with bios flashing, google is your friend.. With a dual bios switch, it's pretty difficult to screw up.
Happy to do a guide, but there are plenty out there.

Un-tested:
  • HDMI port
  • Fan control (I've got a Ek block, somebody else will need to see how it goes)
  • RGB (see above)

Pros:
  • Got all 3 display ports (Haven't tried HDMI but they're the same layout so I'm assuming it'll work)
  • No more early power throttling! It still will throttle, it's not like a double shunt mod where it'll just go wild, but it seems to be able to draw quite a bit more (Or at the very least not be as scared of approaching the 410w mark)
  • Profit!

Cons:
  • Loose ICX sensor readout
  • Reported power usage is under-reported

Test conducted:
Loaded a save in CP2077 with the settings cranked up at the cherry blossom market.
Logged for a few minutes, some values averages - Screencap
Bios change back to the XOC switch position
checked msi clock curve exactly the same
Repeated..
Can see the reported power draw is significantly less..

Most interestingly is the pins that are reporting 9.9v are the ones that are being under-reported, makes sense... But the PCIE slot appears to be reporting correctly, and drawing more current.. XOC on mine almost never drew above 45w, something funky going on with the load balancing.

Results:
You can see the GPU on XOC is power limited, even when only at 108% TDP.. It happened to scren cap at 2100mhz, but voltage and was dropping regularly down well below the locked 1100mv.

SO WHY EVGA ON A XOC 450w APPARENT VBIOS DOES IT THROTTLE AGRESSIVLY ON AVERAGE AROUND 108% TDP, YOU CAN SEE THE LIMITER SOLID GREEN AND IT WAS AVERAGING 410W BOARD DRAW!

Since this vbios flash, my games have stopped crashing too.. Presumable due to the more steady frequency/voltage.

https://i.imgur.com/RbnggRg.jpg

THIS IS GREAT!!!! THANK U SO SO MUCH!! AT LAST I CAN KEEP MY CARD ON 2040 MHZ WITH THE HYBRID KIT (I'M IN COLOMBIA THE WEATHER IS HOT!) NEVER GOES UP 65° AND STABLE 2040MHZ!!!! AND LESS POWER COMSUPTION!!! AGAIN THANK U SO MUCH NOW I FEEL LIKE A HAVE A GREAT RTX 3080, EVGA IS A SHAME, BUT NOW THIS BIOS MAKES ME LOVE MSI LOL!
2021/02/09 10:07:21
Delirious
post approved
2021/02/09 11:50:33
machie
Dunno what to tell y'all, if I pushed my card more I could maintain a power draw of around 430w with spikes up to 445w-450w during the more intensive parts of time spy.

I purchased my 3080 FTW3 Ultra earlier in January from Amazon, so it could be a hardware bug that they fixed for the later runs.

2021/02/09 13:40:58
MarlowX1m
Drwaffles
Results:

You sir are a genius, I agree it is very weird power throttling behavior with the bios. They need to fix it. Did you try the Aorus Xtreme bios, I was just looking at other 3xPIN boards and that has 450W Bios as well. 
2021/02/09 23:03:43
Drwaffles
samueloa84
THIS IS GREAT!!!! THANK U SO SO MUCH!! AT LAST I CAN KEEP MY CARD ON 2040 MHZ WITH THE HYBRID KIT (I'M IN COLOMBIA THE WEATHER IS HOT!) NEVER GOES UP 65° AND STABLE 2040MHZ!!!! AND LESS POWER COMSUPTION!!! AGAIN THANK U SO MUCH NOW I FEEL LIKE A HAVE A GREAT RTX 3080, EVGA IS A SHAME, BUT NOW THIS BIOS MAKES ME LOVE MSI LOL!

Remember.. It's not actually less power consumption, the card just thinks it is which is probably why it's not as aggressive on the limiter.. My tests the limiter starts kicking in around 350w reported total draw. If I had to guess, I suspect it's somewhere around the 440 actual draw.
I'll still look for a way to measure the current more accurately.

Either way, it's improved my gaming enjoyment and stability.. Glad it's working well for you too :)
I'm not sure what the issue is with the XOC bios and/or some cards, but I just figured they'd never bother fixing it.. Until they let me actually approach the power limit at full voltage, I'll stick with the MSI one.

MarlowX1m
You sir are a genius, I agree it is very weird power throttling behavior with the bios. They need to fix it. Did you try the Aorus Xtreme bios, I was just looking at other 3xPIN boards and that has 450W Bios as well. 

Nahh, just persistent when there's an issue I can't figure out a reason for.
Yeah, tried it and the PC immediately crashed and wouldn't boot..
So far this is the only one that's let me maintain 1.1v where it would normally throttle.
Hopefully one day the unlocked one GN got leaks/gets released.

@machie
Look at your voltage though when you're approaching that power limiter. I could hit 430-440w in things like Furmark and some games when cranking up the MSAA, but the voltage and clocks would always start dropping as I got to 415w. That was my issue that I wanted addressed.
2021/02/10 02:39:41
machie
Drwaffles
@machie
Look at your voltage though when you're approaching that power limiter. I could hit 430-440w in things like Furmark and some games when cranking up the MSAA, but the voltage and clocks would always start dropping as I got to 415w. That was my issue that I wanted addressed.

I gave mine a closer look, the pwr limiter only triggers when it gets very close to 440+W board power draw, which usually happens during time spy graphics test 2 when I push the voltage a little higher.

My board draw still averages around 430+W during time spy graphics test 2, with peaks to 450W.

2021/02/10 02:55:49
Drwaffles
Still odd you're running <1.08v with +100 core..Do you ever see It in the 1.09's or 1100mv?

That's typically an issue with your frequency curve.. I'm guessing your 2070mhz point is flat (or similar) If your curve doesn't keep rising 15 MHz per voltage point, it'll only run the lowest voltage for that particular frequency point..
If that is unstable in your card, lower the whole curve a little and still do the step up.

Try that and see how it responds.
2021/02/10 03:36:32
machie
Drwaffles
Still odd you're running <1.08v with +100 core..Do you ever see It in the 1.09's or 1100mv?

That's typically an issue with your frequency curve.. I'm guessing your 2070mhz point is flat (or similar) If your curve doesn't keep rising 15 MHz per voltage point, it'll only run the lowest voltage for that particular frequency point..
If that is unstable in your card, lower the whole curve a little and still do the step up.

Try that and see how it responds.

My card really doesn't like 2100MHz, even with 1.1V to the GPU core, so I had my card locked at 2085MHz with 1.075V. When pinned at 1.1V GPU core voltage, the card hits the pwr limitter so often that the board power draw, core voltage and core clock fluctuates so much that I don't think you'll get good benchmark off of it anyway. All I'm trying to do here is draw as much power as I can, not set the best frequency/voltage curve for a benchmark run.

I did managed 19.2k graphics score in time spy at with the card locked at 2070MHz with 1.05V to the GPU core, and that's pretty the best my card can do.

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account