2020/10/13 20:55:03
sydebotham
Hello all! I just came home from purchasing the 850 GA in anticipation of my FTW 3080 Ultra arrival (hopefully soon). I was pumped up and started researching even more and noticed a thread on here stating that the GA lineup has serious issues with the 3080 and not to purchase them (750/850). Is anyone currently using this PSU with their 3080 with success? I can return it if needed but wanted to check with the EVGA community first. Thanks in advance!

Maybe a ROG Strix 850 would be the safer bet?
2020/10/16 06:45:20
Mrmoyer
I just purchased the 750 GA about a month ago to replace my 650 G3 for the new 3080 cards. It was working fine with my 2070 windforce GPU. The problems started when I installed my 3080 FE and launched a game with the settings maxed out in 1440p. All of my temps were pretty high and the PSU was making a very loud whine under the gaming load which I thought was the 3080 at first. All of a sudden the computer shut down without warning and took a couple minutes to turn back on. After increasing fan speeds and cleaning filters everything still was hotter than normal. I noticed if I tried to alt tab out of the game my computer would instantly shutdown. Did some more troubleshooting and decided to reinstall my 650 G3 PSU and the shutdowns stopped, as well as my temps decreasing about 10°C across the board. I have heard other people having this issue and as of right now I wouldn't recommend picking up a GA for the 3080 until EVGA can solve the issue. You don't want to risk the PSU destroying any of your components. Unfortunately, I think the PSU burned out the LED in my AIO pump but I consider myself lucky that's all that happened.
2020/10/16 16:53:38
Limitin
I can confirm that I am having a problem with the 3090 FE and a 850 GA PSU. Not sure which is the problem yet, but it seems like a lot of people are having issues with the GA and the 30 series.
2020/10/23 00:01:03
racoonsv
I'm having issues with my 750 GA with a 3080FE as well, shutting down as soon as I open a 4k application.
2020/10/23 07:13:22
rain2_usa
I just messaged Jacob on Twitter.  Hopefully he'll reply later in the day when they're open.  I know he was researching the issue as another person asked him the same question. 
2020/10/23 07:15:38
racoonsv
rain2_usa
I just messaged Jacob on Twitter.  Hopefully he'll reply later in the day when they're open.  I know he was researching the issue as another person asked him the same question. 

thanks... It's a bit annoying since I bought the psu for the 3080 only ,and it doesnt work, totally random from EVGA, never had issues before with them
2020/10/23 07:24:33
nrmazloo
I also have an email into EVGA customer service to get more information as a follow up to a phone call I had with tech support on this topic.

My question back to them for reference;
"Thank you for your email.  If you could provide some additional details on what EVGA has found regarding the GA series of PSUs and the RTX 3080/90 compatibility that would be helpful.  I was told on the phone this morning that there are certain combinations of hardware that may cause issues.  Can you please elaborate on what those might be?"

I'll let you know if/when I hear back on this one.

2020/10/23 14:59:21
nrmazloo
And here is the response that I just received ...

"The concerns you are referring to is within a very specific configuration. If paired a GA power supply with a 3080/90 FTW3 and a high wattage CPU such as a 10900K you may experience some power draw issues. Any configurations outside of this with a lesser power draw should not have any issues as this is caused by the various protections that were built into the power supply. Since the new generation of GPU and Intel CPU have a much higher power draw than previous generations it has caused some issues. Should you have any issues please let us know the specifics of the system specs so we can further assist."

So I should be in the clear and I hope this helps others out.  Thanks!
2020/10/23 16:06:59
rain2_usa
nrmazloo

"The concerns you are referring to is within a very specific configuration. If paired a GA power supply with a 3080/90 FTW3 and a high wattage CPU such as a 10900K you may experience some power draw issues. Any configurations outside of this with a lesser power draw should not have any issues as this is caused by the various protections that were built into the power supply. Since the new generation of GPU and Intel CPU have a much higher power draw than previous generations it has caused some issues. Should you have any issues please let us know the specifics of the system specs so we can further assist."

Thanks for following up.  I never got a reply from Jacob, but I guess it's going to be a wait and see kind of thing now.  Hopefully it'll be okay.  I'm sure we'll report back with problems and our configs if we come across that. 
2020/10/23 16:16:29
nrmazloo
rain2_usa
nrmazloo

Thanks for following up.  I never got a reply from Jacob, but I guess it's going to be a wait and see kind of thing now.  Hopefully it'll be okay.  I'm sure we'll report back with problems and our configs if we come across that. 

No problem.  It's kind of a bummer in a sense because now I might have issues when upgrading components in the future even though the stated wattage of the PSU would more than cover the system.  Probably just a coincidence, but all the GA series are showing out of stock on the product page as of when I'm typing this out.  Good luck!  

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account