2020/10/10 21:00:58
jankerson
ngaugler
jankerson 
That's why it's really import to do the research. 

There are some expensive PSUs that are having problems with the 3080's and 3090's.

I am talking about $200+ PSUs.

What research on EVGAs website will tell you that the GA vs the G3 wouldn't work with a video card that won't be invented for 2 years?

NONE, ZERO....

Shows how important picking a PSU really can be and one really needs to do some research before buying.

Research on reputable review sites that actually test and tear down the PSUs, have the proper professional equipment to do the testing and Forums that have a Tier List for PSUs like Linus's Forum or Toms Hardware Guide. They also have very active PSUs forums.

2020/10/10 21:03:31
ngaugler
jankersonNONE, ZERO....

Shows how important picking a PSU really can be and one really needs to do some research before buying.

Research on reputable review sites that actually test and tear down the PSUs, have the proper professional equipment to do the testing and Forums that have a Tier List for PSUs like Linus's Forum or Toms Hardware Guide.
No, it tells me that EVGAs website needs to better describe their products.  If they aren't informing the user of the benefits / drawbacks then that's bad.  I also do not see any documentation on the EVGA's website saying the 750W needs to be X specs.  Yeah, don't go buy a $60 PSU and try to run the best stuff out there.  But the fella spent a good chunk of change based on vendor specifications.   EVGA's website says if you're OK with the louder fan and your house doesn't get that hot you'll be fine and you can save $10.

FWIW I bought a 1000W G3, I don't need 1000W.  I probably pull half that at best, but I know to buy more just in case.  20 years in a computer industry and you learn a little, not much, but a little.
2020/10/10 21:06:27
jankerson
ngaugler
jankersonNONE, ZERO....

Research on reputable review sites that actually test and tear down the PSUs, have the proper professional equipment to do the testing and Forums that have a Tier List for PSUs like Linus's Forum or Toms Hardware Guide.
No, it tells me that EVGAs website needs to better describe their products.  If they aren't informing the user of the benefits / drawbacks then that's bad.  I also do not see any documentation on the EVGA's website saying the 750W needs to be X specs.  Yeah, don't go buy a $60 PSU and try to run the best stuff out there.  But the fella spent a good chunk of change based on vendor specifications.  

FWIW I bought a 1000W G3, I don't need 1000W.  I probably pull half that at best, but I know to buy more just in case.  20 years in the computer industry and you learn a little, not much, but a little.

I dunno how the marketing dept and the higher ups would take that... 

EVGA is in the business of selling products, not telling people NOT to buy them.

But yeah I get your point though.

2020/10/10 21:08:43
ngaugler
I just don't think it's fair to rag on the guy because he only spent $130 and you wanted him to spend $140.  He could have bought something for $60 or $70.

I mean come on, I got 20 years in hosting, servers, software dev, infra management, etc and I couldn't tell you the difference in those two products aside from the fans.  I shouldn't have to spend hours searching Google reviews to see that the $10 means I get low quality.  Sure you spend some time to learn not to buy the N version or the Bronze.  The platinum is probably overkill for most situations.  The gold is the sweet spot then you learn EVGA isn't SlickEddiesPSU manufacturing and you find one that seems to fit that's on a good sale.
2020/10/10 21:11:27
jankerson
ngaugler
I just don't think it's fair to rag on the guy because he only spent $130 and you wanted him to spend $140.  He could have bought something for $60 or $70.

I mean come on, I got 20 years in hosting, servers, software dev, infra management, etc and I couldn't tell you the difference in those two products aside from the fans.  I shouldn't have to spend hours searching Google reviews to see that the $10 means I get low quality.

I had over 20 years also in the business, but I was a hardware guy. ;)

So it's more my thing, hardware.

But yes there is a lot more to buying a PSU then just picking one off some website and going by brand, wattage and price.

A lot more than people would want to think.

It's the actual PSU model that really matters the most.
2020/10/10 21:18:45
EVGA_JacobF
Does this issue happen with stock CPU frequency?
2020/10/10 21:20:50
ngaugler
I propose EVGA change their model line up on PSU to match that of their GPU.  Instead of this GQ+ GT GA G3 GZ GK nonsense letters with 5 products at 750W at the same price point lets just simplify this thing.

Gold XC3
Gold XC3 Gaming
Gold XC3 Ultra Gaming
Gold XC3 FTW3
Gold XC3 FTW3 Ultra

If they are comparable in quality but are bigger or smaller than lets attach like size scale to them. 

Sorry OP for derailing this post btw.
2020/10/10 21:21:54
ngaugler
EVGA_JacobF
Does this issue happen with stock CPU frequency?

He's offline.  I'll stop posting now.

2020/10/10 21:38:00
Reckoner223
I am not overclocking my CPU  and my Seasonic focus gold 750 psu is shutting down on a basic power test with the FTW ULTRA 3080.
2020/10/10 21:39:18
jankerson
Reckoner223
I am not overclocking my CPU  and my Seasonic focus gold 750 psu is shutting down on a basic power test with the FTW ULTRA 3080.

That's one of the known problem PSUs with the 3080 and 3090's...

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account