2020/10/10 19:38:54
jankerson
Reckoner223
Well it's good to know that certain models are having issues, but it's not like I have a cheap model. It was a quality PSU or supposedly was. It's not really justifiable to me that they say 750W and then clearly it's not enough for some known PSUs including EVGAs own PSUs...

The GA is more of a budget model of the Supernova line...

That's why it's cheaper than the G2 and P2, T2 etc.

You absolutely get what you pay for with PSUs normally.

Like the new RM series from Corsair is the budget model of the RM series with the RMX and RMI the high end.

The difference is that the RM actually does work with the 3080 and 3090's..

Haven't heard one way or the other on the other EVGA PSUs... Just the G2, P2 and T2 and GQ 850W so far that work and the GA that doesn't.

Shows how important picking a PSU really can be and one really needs to do some research before buying.

Research on reputable review sites that actually test and tear down the PSUs, have the proper professional equipment to do the testing and Forums that have a Tier List for PSUs like Linus's Forum or Toms Hardware Guide.

2020/10/10 20:27:40
jankerson
Looks like the EVGA 850W GQ also works with the 3090/3080. 

So that is something at least. 
2020/10/10 20:42:26
EVGA_JacobF
Is CPU at stock frequency?
2020/10/10 20:47:19
MatthewAMEL
No. He had a stout OC on his CPU.
2020/10/10 20:51:19
jankerson
MatthewAMEL
No. He had a stout OC on his CPU.

I don't think that is going to matter, the OP is the 7th or 8th now with an EVGA GA PSU that is having issues.

That we know of.... So far.
2020/10/10 20:55:15
ngaugler
The GA is MSRP $130.  The G3 is MSRP $140 on the website.  I wouldn't call that a cheap model.  Now if they had the N1 that would be a different story.  From a general user who isn't up to speed on the low level electrics in a computer there's nothing on the website to make you think one is inferior except the fan size / type of ball bearings - of which neither should impact general electrical performance but should only impact heat and noise (which yes I know can indirectly effect performance if it over heats but that's clearly not the case).
2020/10/10 20:55:20
GNielson
I've had this happen multiple times in the past. High quality Seasonic power supplies, 750 watt, which was supposed to be overkill. I finally went with a 1000 watt Seasonic supply and that was the end of the problems. You actually need more margin than you'd think you'd need. I'd go days between the problem happening. 100% solid for the past year+.
2020/10/10 20:58:00
jankerson
ngaugler
The GA is MSRP $130.  The G3 is MSRP $140 on the website.  I wouldn't call that a cheap model.  Now if they had the N1 that would be a different story.  From a general user who isn't up to speed on the low level electrics in a computer there's nothing on the website to make you think one is inferior except the fan size / type of ball bearings - of which neither should impact general electrical performance but should only impact heat and noise (which yes I know can indirectly effect performance if it over heats but that's clearly not the case).

That's why it's really import to do the research. The GA and G3 do have issues with certain GPUs etc, it's well documented.

There are some expensive PSUs that are having problems with the 3080's and 3090's.

I am talking about $200+ PSUs.
2020/10/10 20:59:26
ngaugler
jankerson 
That's why it's really import to do the research. 

There are some expensive PSUs that are having problems with the 3080's and 3090's.

What research on EVGAs website will tell you that the GA vs the G3 wouldn't work with a video card that won't be invented for 2 years?

The only difference I see is on the +3.3V and +5V the G3 24A vs 20A, and 62.5A vs 62.4A on the +12V. 
2020/10/10 21:00:46
GNielson
jankerson
ngaugler

That's why it's really import to do the research. 

^Truth. Very high quality power supply and extra margin on the specs just to be safe. A person could try an existing marginal supply, but shutdowns/reboots means upgrade your Power supply.

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account