2020/10/10 17:48:08
jankerson
WraithDecay
EVGA 750GA All 3 separate cables.

The GA has issues with the 3000 series cards. There has been more than a few others that I know of already, all with the EVGA GA's.... 

You need to get a new PSU.

Like an EVGA G2, P2 or T2.

Or other premium PSU.

Like Corsair RMX, RMI, HX or HXI.
2020/10/10 17:58:16
arestavo
jankerson
WraithDecay

The GA has issues with the 3000 series cards. There has been more than a few others that I know of already, all with the EVGA GA's.... 

Or other premium PSU.

His PSU should have a 10 year warranty, so he should be able to just RMA it for a newer model.
2020/10/10 18:02:30
jankerson
arestavo
jankerson
WraithDecay

Or other premium PSU.

His PSU should have a 10 year warranty, so he should be able to just RMA it for a newer model.

Has to be a completely different model PSU like the G2, P2 or T2...

If he gets another GA he will have the same issues.
2020/10/10 18:05:56
Nereus
arestavo
jankerson
WraithDecay

Or other premium PSU.

Except you can't RMA a PSU just because you upgraded your system and the PSU doesn't cut it anymore. Well, I guess you could try with EVGA, but I wouldn't count on them flying with that.

2020/10/10 18:09:43
jankerson
Nereus
arestavo
jankerson
WraithDecay

Or other premium PSU.

Except you can't RMA a PSU just because you upgraded your system and the PSU doesn't cut it anymore. Well, I guess you could try with EVGA, but I wouldn't count on them flying with that.

And it would have to be an upgrade over what he has now... ;)

You know that's not going to fly... 

He bought a GA, you get what you pay for....

If he would have bought the G2, P2 or T2 he would have been fine.... ;)

2020/10/10 18:22:41
Reckoner223
I really don't think it's his power supply specifically. I have a seasonic 750w which is a quality brand but it's also shutting down. It's evident that a 750w PSU isn't enough for both the 9900k and 3080.
2020/10/10 18:25:28
jankerson
Reckoner223
I really don't think it's his power supply specifically. I have a seasonic 750w which is a quality brand but it's also shutting down. It's evident that a 750w PSU isn't enough for both the 9900k and 3080.

Certain PSU models can't handle the transient power spikes of the 3080's and 3090's.

Even some 850W units are shutting down....

We know the EVGA GA and some Seasonic Primes and Focus also shut down.

The ones we know work are, so far:

EVGA G2, P2, T2;

Corsair RMX, RMI, HX, and HXI.

2020/10/10 19:21:40
Dabadger84
This is why myself, and a lot of others, recommend people go a significant amount OVER what the PSU recommendation is for a setup, to avoid precisely these issues.
Definitely test the card in another system, preferably with a much beefier PSU... because it's either the card or the PSU, pretty much guaranteed if your previous GPU worked fine in the same system.
I would talk to eVGA support & see if they'd be willing to let you RMA the PSU for a different model given that model "should" support this GPU but clearly has issues with it, despite "meeting" the wattage requirement.
I bought my PSU with the intention of going 2 1080 Ti Hybrids in SLi with XOC BIOS on them, but never got a second card due to several circumstances... glad I did because it's a beef-cake that will never have a problem with anything I throw in my system for the length of it's 10 year warranty.
2020/10/10 19:27:00
jankerson
Dabadger84
This is why myself, and a lot of others, recommend people go a significant amount OVER what the PSU recommendation is for a setup, to avoid precisely these issues.
Definitely test the card in another system, preferably with a much beefier PSU... because it's either the card or the PSU, pretty much guaranteed if your previous GPU worked fine in the same system.
I would talk to eVGA support & see if they'd be willing to let you RMA the PSU for a different model given that model "should" support this GPU but clearly has issues with it, despite "meeting" the wattage requirement.
I bought my PSU with the intention of going 2 1080 Ti Hybrids in SLi with XOC BIOS on them, but never got a second card due to several circumstances... glad I did because it's a beef-cake that will never have a problem with anything I throw in my system for the length of it's 10 year warranty.

It's not so much the wattage than it is the exact models of PSUs. ;)

Could be 750W as long as it's one of the models that is known to work it's fine.

It's just certain models handle the trainset power spikes better than others.

2020/10/10 19:35:55
Reckoner223
Well it's good to know that certain models are having issues, but it's not like I have a cheap model. It was a quality PSU or supposedly was. It's not really justifiable to me that they say 750W and then clearly it's not enough for some known PSUs including EVGAs own PSUs...

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account