2020/10/09 12:59:04
brandobot
Anyone seeing their xc3 3090's run over 80 degrees c while gaming (playing Call of Duty)

I've tried running my case with the doors open and adding intake case fans made no difference.

. The only thing that made a difference is running it at 85% power, which brings it down to ~75 degrees C or running the GPU fans at 80%+, which makes this card sound like a mini jet engine.

For reference, my EVGA 1080TI SC2 ran under 70 degrees C while gaming in the same case while running reasonable fan speeds.

I'm starting to think this 2 slot heatsink for this GPU is not enough. Benchmarks on Asus TUF and even the Founder's Edition show that they're able to keep these cards under 70 degrees C under load and these both have larger than 2 slot heatsink designs.

Update: 10/13/2020 
Here's two GPU's using my XC3 and my friend's 3090 Founder's Edition.
Tested with 3dmark Time Spy. Same case, same components, only changed GPUs.
For both tests, the GPU fans were set to 100%. 

The XC3 was running at an average temperature of 88 degrees c. The average clock and memory clock was running very low, probably due to the high temps. The average temp of the 3090 Founder's edition was 52 degrees c... a 36 degrees C difference. Do I have a bad card?

Can someone with a xc3 download 3dMark Demo from Steam and run the Time Spy test? Curious to know what other people's temps are...

Phanteks Evolv MATX Case (image attached)
3 front  intakes - 2 140mm, 1 120mm (front cover is off to allow more airflow through the intakes)
1 rear 140mm exhaust 

Attached Image(s)

2020/10/09 13:06:24
DarkTAO
brandobot
Anyone seeing their xc3 3090's run over 80 degrees c while gaming (playing Call of Duty)

I've tried running my case with the doors open and maxing out my fans with no change. The only thing that made a difference is running it at 85% power, which brings it down to ~75 degrees C. 

For reference, my EVGA 1080TI SC2 ran under 70 degrees C while gaming in the same case.

I'm starting to think this 2 slot heatsink for this GPU is not enough. Benchmarks on Asus TUF and even the Founder's Edition show that they're able to keep these cards under 70 degrees C under load and these both have larger than 2 slot heatsink designs.

How are you pushing fresh/cool air in with the doors off? Sounds like you might have a massive pressure issue for one. Check how you have all your case and cpu fans configured against existing build guides and make sure you're not doing something like exhausting out the front, top, side, etc, with no actual intake. 

2020/10/09 13:08:48
brandobot
I'm running 2 140mm front intakes, 1 140mm rear exhaust, 1 140mm top exhaust is my setup. (Exhausts running at 10% slower speeds than intake)

Running with the doors off was a test. 

Edit: Updated my first post to reflect the case/fan setup I have
2020/10/09 16:19:25
DarkTAO
brandobot
I'm running 2 140mm front intakes, 1 140mm rear exhaust, 1 140mm top exhaust is my setup. (Exhausts running at 10% slower speeds than intake)

Running with the doors off was a test. 

Edit: Updated my first post to reflect the case/fan setup I have

Well it's gonna put a lot of heat into that case. Do you have any bottom intake fans by chance? Have you checked and seen what the normal operating temp is on the XC3? I assume it's gonna be similar to the 2080Ti XC3, where 85 was the top end. 

Warm room, hot case, low airflow, air cooling, non-heatpipe designed backplate? Unless the XC3 does have the thermal piping like the FTWs had, though I'm not sure.  
I'm just guessing, but I assume you're under massive load running COD very high settings? Temps are high, but seem within reason for on-air with missing fans in tower. 
2020/10/09 16:25:20
EVGA_JacobF
Can you try setting the fan curve setting to aggressive in EVGA Precision X1?
2020/10/09 16:38:28
bmgjet
Mine never saw over 60C in a Cosair 900D case with 366W (105%) power limit.
Room temp 24C
Fan profile lowest speed 40% (since fans make bad noise when they slow down on auto), then 80% speed at 50C. 90% speed at 60C 100% speed at 70C+.

On 390W it gets up to 72C.
480W was just touching on 80C.
Got a waterblock on it now tho and doesnt go over 42C.

But looking at your pictures Id try that the bottom HDD bay fan and put it on the top.
You want fresh air coming in the bottom. Up though the GPU that vents out the side of the GPU. Then pulled out though the top since heat rises.
Where at the moment youv got it coming out the side of the GPU then that bottom fan is mixing it all up with fresh air and forcing it back down.
2020/10/09 16:45:25
liud21
Disconnect the rear exhaust fan, and test it out. I find that having more fans forcing air into the case creates more positive pressure, which helps in moving air in a certain direction. On my Corsair Airflow 275, 3 front fans pushes air into the case and 2 exhaust fans, one rear, one top seems to direct the flow of hot air up and to the back. Also, the back of my case is mesh, so air is forced out all along the back, Which helps with moving hot air around the gpu, out directly through the mesh.
2020/10/09 16:52:02
brandobot
No bottom intake. I may be able to squeeze a 80mm-100mm fan under my two front 140mm intake fans. Alternatively, I can put 3 120mm fans in front.

I haven't seen the normal operating specs for the xc3 3090 yet.

I've set the fan curve to aggressive already. One thing I did notice is if I set the preset to aggressive, and cycle through the settings to go back to fan curve page, it reverts to "custom." Looking at the graph, the curve retains the aggressive curve. (minor issue, but I thought I'd bring it up)

2020/10/09 17:08:44
brandobot
I have an extra fan laying around. Will mount it inside my HDD bay and see if it helps.  Is there any concern with disrupting the flow of air if I have a fan on the bottom and front both blowing in? I'd also mention that this fan is only going to be blowing on the right side of the card (closest to the intake fan) as my PSU fills up about the left half of my case.

@liud-21, I've tried slowing down my exhaust fans 10-20% slower than my front intakes to induce more positive pressure. Haven't noticed much of a difference. I'll try disconnecting it altogether to see if it makes a difference. I notice most of my hot air comes from the rear exhaust compared to the top (measuring by feeling the heat with my hand)
2020/10/09 17:28:30
proxy001
I had a similar issue with a 3080 FTW3 Ultra. 
It was running 82c stock.
I downloaded the new X1 software for 30XX series, set fan curve to aggressive and now I max at 72 (GPU use 90-100%). 
Also my house is warm to begin with. 
Those 400 W of power don't disappear. Laws of physics...

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account