2020/10/07 19:52:21
brandonx49
Hello - I was happily playing Far Cry 5 at moderate settings  then Far Cry 3 at max settings after I recently rebuilt my computer. For some unknow reason I installed furmark, ran it for a few minutes and now my games barely post 10 fps.. ARG!!

Going to do a clean install of NVidia driver but any suggestions would be great.

Cheers,
B
2020/10/08 15:27:59
kougar
Doesn't sound like anything a clean driver install and reboot can't fix for ya
2020/10/08 15:47:17
brandonx49
Yup - that totally did it and it worked! Phew. Played around with  the new EVGA Precision X1 software on steam too. Running the fan at 100% probably good to get any dust out. 

However, I don't think any overlooking will fix my low 2 GB VRam issue for top tier games though. 

Cheers
2020/10/09 10:54:14
aka_STEVE_b
 I thought I remembered this from times gone by , so I searched & found ...

Just as a FYI - awhile back even Nvidia themselves said to NOT use Furmark to 'burn in' your graphics cards, as they may void your warranty for it .

https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/geforce/forums/game-ready-drivers/13/115902/using-furmark-and-other-stress-tests-with-geforce-/?commentPage=2

Using Furmark or other applications to disable these protection mechanisms can result in permanent damage to the graphics card and void the manufacturer's warranty.

Manuel@NVIDIA

2020/10/09 11:40:15
brandonx49
Good to know for the future. 
2020/10/10 10:12:47
HeavyHemi
brandonx49
Good to know for the future. 

Well... that comment, it's a decade old, and since that time Furmark has been flagged in the drivers to reduce power draw so that no longer applies. (there are ways to bypass it and really get your GPU toasty) That being said, it also means it really isn't that useful other than it looks kinda neat and can give you some sort of idea of how well your cooling solution works. I'm typically less than 90% power running it.

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account