2020/10/07 03:32:00
HylianScribe
For some time now I've been wondering if my EVGA 2080 ti XC might be having issues due to various high GPU temp and GPU fan speed issues I have during gaming, even at relatively low settings for many games while playing at 1440p 60fps. I've run the Timespy benchmark numerous times over the past few weeks after trying various troubleshooting methods (some outlined in previous threads here, as well as other support forums), and this is the best score I can get:

3dmark com/spy/14399549 (can't provide URLs yet I guess, so just at the dot before com).

I feel like this is relatively low given my system setup. I already RMA'd this card once before at launch in 2018 when the card failed less than 2 weeks after receiving it. I want to make sure I'm not overlooking something (PSU issue? MOBO issue?) before I attempt to start another RMA for this card (still under warranty). 
2020/10/07 08:22:26
DeadlyMercury
Graphics Score 8902
That is WAY too low.
Average score for 2080ti is around 14000

Average clock frequency 1 582 MHz
Average temperature 72 °C
Maybe thermal throttling? Did you tried to run benchmark with fans set on 100% via afterburner and with opened case?

2020/10/07 11:29:44
HylianScribe
Yea, I turned the fans up to 100%, and I've also removed the glass side panel (Fractal Design R6), and the lowest the temp I get is still 70-71C on the GPU when running the benchmark. CPU and all other components run very cool or at very normal levels when monitored in HWMonitor. Idle temp right now with fans at 0% is usually 50-55C. Removing the side panel generally sees a 1C or maybe 2C drop at most ever.
2020/10/07 11:57:35
DeadlyMercury
Did this card behave like this from start? How long do you have it?

Maybe it just bad TIM application...
2020/10/07 12:05:48
Sajin
Well we can clearly see why the card isn’t scoring well. The card isn’t boosting.
2020/10/07 12:24:49
HylianScribe
DeadlyMercury
Did this card behave like this from start? How long do you have it?

Maybe it just bad TIM application...

It is an RMA. I originally got my card from NewEgg back in 2018. It failed multiple times (games would drop to an extremely low FPS then crash). Went through the ticket support system, EVGA determined I should RMA it. This current card has had issues since the start, so it's just under 2 years old. If I played games at 1440p 60fps at ~medium settings, I never had an issue, but anytime I cranked it up to maximum, would notice serious performance issues. Even at lower settings, several games would not hit the desired FPS. I was at one point having to lower my resolution down to 1080p just to enjoy max settings. Lots of the major releases since end of 2018, as well as games released prior. I actually tried to start a 2nd RMA process back in 2019, but I didn't get a reply from EVGA after a certain point, and I found running games at medium settings at least made games run well for the most part at 1440p, so I just stuck with that. But with the 3080s coming out, I was thinking of trying to snag one someday (on the waiting list for EVGA), but a lot of my friends who I told about this issue said the 2080ti shouldn't be performing this low and to maybe look into it some more before spending ~800 USD to upgrade when the 2080ti I have should be good for high end gaming for another few years.
2020/10/07 14:41:49
DeadlyMercury
So you have two ways here:
a) describe your issue to evga support, because it seems that this RMA card is not DOA but staying near it.
b) try to solve this issue by yourself - that looks like thermal trottling to me, and it could be bad TIM application from factory. If it so - you need to remove cooler from PCB, clean old TIM on gpu die and cooler, place new (and good one) TIM, put cooler back to card and test it again.

I can't say how 2080ti XC should perform in terms of thermals - but asus strix never exceed 65C on 100% fans overclocked in open case, ftw3 is kind of same.
Without OC and powerlimit settings even XC should not run up to 71c - and that 71c is not maximum temp on your 3dmark run, but average temp.
2020/10/07 17:38:35
HylianScribe
DeadlyMercury
So you have two ways here:
a) describe your issue to evga support, because it seems that this RMA card is not DOA but staying near it.
b) try to solve this issue by yourself - that looks like thermal trottling to me, and it could be bad TIM application from factory. If it so - you need to remove cooler from PCB, clean old TIM on gpu die and cooler, place new (and good one) TIM, put cooler back to card and test it again.

I can't say how 2080ti XC should perform in terms of thermals - but asus strix never exceed 65C on 100% fans overclocked in open case, ftw3 is kind of same.
Without OC and powerlimit settings even XC should not run up to 71c - and that 71c is not maximum temp on your 3dmark run, but average temp.

I started a support ticket linking here and to my benchmark. Thanks for the input so far, hopefully it leads to getting this resolved.
2020/10/07 18:40:43
Dabadger84
If you're not comfortable redoing the thermal interface material yourself, I would definitely RMA the card & Have them fix it, because that's crazy temps in my opinion for a air cooled card.
2020/10/07 18:44:32
Flonkam
You said that you have already looked into various avenues with help from others, so I have to assume that you've covered the basics, such as making sure the control panel's 'Power Management Mode' hadn't somehow become set to 'Optimal Power', etc.

"If I played games at 1440p 60fps at ~medium settings, I never had an issue, but anytime I cranked it up to maximum, would notice serious performance issues."

Can I assume that, by "performance issues", you simply mean that the card would not achieve the performance you expected at the higher settings...that the framerates were generally much lower than you expected it to be with your card?

Have you by chance replaced the GPU with another card, in order to ascertain that the other card attains its full clock speeds and otherwise performs as expected?

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account