2020/10/05 09:48:52
rjohnson11
https://www.techpowerup.com/272956/intel-starts-hardware-enablement-of-meteor-lake-7-nm-architecture

In a report by Phoronix, we have the latest information about Intel's efforts to prepare the next generation of hardware for launch sometime in the future. In the latest Linux kernel patches prepared to go mainline soon, Intel has been adding support for its "Meteor Lake" processor architecture manufactured on Intel's most advanced 7 nm node. While there are no official patches in the mainline kernel yet, the first signs of Meteor Lake are expected to show up in the version 5.10, where we will be seeing the mentions of it. This way Intel is ensuring that the Meteor Lake platform will see the best software support, even though it is a few years away from the launch.

Meteor Lake is expected to debut in late 2022 or 2023, which will replace the Alder Lake platform coming soon. In a similar way to Alder Lake, Meteor Lake will use a hybrid core technology where it will combine small and big cores. The Meteor Lake platform will use the new big "Ocean Cove" design paired with small "Gracemont" cores that will be powering the CPU. This processor is going to be manufactured on Intel's 7 nm node that will be the first 7 nm design from Intel. With all the delays to the node, we are in for an interesting period to see how the company copes with it and how the design IPs turn out.

This sounds fine but by that time TSMC will probably be at a 3nm or smaller die. 

2020/10/05 10:09:54
GTXJackBauer
rjohnson11

This sounds fine but by that time TSMC will probably be at a 3nm or smaller die. 

Right but aren't they technically not the same 7nm (Intel) vs 7 nm (TSMC)?
2020/10/05 10:23:14
castrator86
GTXJackBauer
rjohnson11

They're not but in the article it states they're going to go to the chiplet design as well: Big cores and little cores so the difference in architectures I'm sure is going to narrow once this redesign is done. The next big question is what type of lithography is going to be used??

And further... where will AMD/TSMC be at in 2022 that gives me any hope that this planned architecture of Intel's will be competitive?
2020/10/05 11:03:08
lehpron
GTXJackBauer
That is true, TSMC's 7nm is similar to Intel's 10nm in terms of density and performance, so TSMC's 5nm would be similar in Intel's 7nm.

The problem is that Intel's process node is so delayed, we can't compare it with TSMC today or near term, that's rj's point. It's awesome if Intel's node technology behaves is closer to the name of it, versus others that embellish. But who cares if they are not out at the same time?
2020/10/05 12:59:55
veganfanatic
https://hardcoregames.video.blog/2020/10/05/intel-delays-ice-lake-sp/

Tick-tock is long dead, now it's GFLOPS / WATT etc

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account