2020/10/04 19:22:22
platysaur
I started playing a new game and HWINFO shows my EVGA 2070 Super XC Ultra’s fans turning on and off. This is by design, of course, as the fans turn off when needed. I’m just wondering if it’s bad if they turn on and off. I don’t have a problem with the sound since I notice it but I don’t want it to wear the fans. I’d rather not mess with fan curves either for just one game as well, since I am satisfied with how it runs presently besides this.

This can happen quite a few times a minute as the temperatures fluctuate between the fan threshold and when they turn off. Mostly, though, it'll just have a period of being hot, and 30 seconds later turn off, then back on after a few moments. I don't care about the acoustics - I can't hear it with my headphones. I just worry that playing the game will cause my fans to go bad. I mean, is it really any worse than fans going on constantly while I play?
2020/10/21 05:20:35
felicityc
No.

I run 100% most of the time.
The fans are not usually particularly special components either, if you inspect them closely.
2020/10/21 12:14:29
HeavyHemi
platysaur
I started playing a new game and HWINFO shows my EVGA 2070 Super XC Ultra’s fans turning on and off. This is by design, of course, as the fans turn off when needed. I’m just wondering if it’s bad if they turn on and off. I don’t have a problem with the sound since I notice it but I don’t want it to wear the fans. I’d rather not mess with fan curves either for just one game as well, since I am satisfied with how it runs presently besides this.  This can happen quite a few times a minute as the temperatures fluctuate between the fan threshold and when they turn off. Mostly, though, it'll just have a period of being hot, and 30 seconds later turn off, then back on after a few moments. I don't care about the acoustics - I can't hear it with my headphones. I just worry that playing the game will cause my fans to go bad. I mean, is it really any worse than fans going on constantly while I play?

Define hurt.   Primarily, cleanliness is next to longevity. Secondarily, I'd say that if you're really that concerned about the GPU fan life, do whatever you can to reduce the GPU temps while gaming...thus reducing fan usage.  We have no idea about the rest of your system so I cannot offer any suggestions there.

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account