2020/10/03 11:06:04
VE3YF
Hi:
Just purchased a new EVGA RTX-2070 Super Black Card (08G-P4-3071-KR) and have noticed a couple problems that I have never had before.

In my situation on my desk I have my left monitor plugged into Video Card Position #2, and the right monitor plugged into Video Card Position #1, which in turn makes the primary monitor as the right monitor. (I am using Cables that have a DisplayPort connector at the computer and HDMI connector at the monitor end).

In the Nvidia Control Panel I have selected the right monitor as the primary monitor. The reason I did that is I am more accustomed to moving the mouse over to the left monitor by moving the mouse left. This way works well for me.

All goes alright except when the monitors go to sleep, the left monitor never really goes to sleep, the display just goes blank and monitor led still indicates monitor is on, but the right side monitor goes blank and goes to sleep as the monitors led indicates in sleep mode and at some point when coming out of sleep, if I have any programs running and displayed on left monitor, they will then move over to the right monitor.

Monitors are ACER K272HL and they never had this issue before.

Anybody run into this situation and how do I prevent the left monitor programs from moving over to the right monitor when coming out of sleep.

Mike

Attached Image(s)

2020/10/03 11:50:19
VE3YF
Hi:
Just an update, I have switched the video cables around on the back of the video car and while the setup looks better, I still have the problem when coming out of sleep, the left side monitor displayed programs move over to the right side monitor.

Still no way to prevent this from happening. Anyone have any idea's.

Mike
2020/10/04 15:32:24
VE3YF
Hi:

Well making some headway. I have disconnected the cable from the left monitor and I am now using a HDMI cable from the video card straight to the monitor. Both monitors now will go into sleep mode as they should and any programs on the left monitor stay on the left monitor and don't move to the right monitor as before.

So now it must either be the DP port on the video card or the the DP to HDMI cable. I will see if I can locate another DP to HDMI cable to prove which is at fault, sure hope the cable is the issue.

Mike
2020/10/21 05:08:34
felicityc
A couple of things: If you're still around. I am assuming getting the dp/hdmi cable helped.

The Windows monitor # orders are not the same as the GPU slot #s. This is a huge flaw of Windows that is very annoying. There is no way of changing this order without moving the cables as far as I can tell. It only cares about the GPU slot order. It will always prefer lowest to highest no matter how the displays are set in nvidia or display settings.

Windows moving means the monitor is not going into sleep mode, it is likely disabling the devices when they do, and converting signals is never something preferable. However,

DP is a more common standard in the refresh rate space because people aren't aware of the clock patch, which may also have helped, but unclear. The real issue is that those monitors are not suited to a 2070 super at all. What did you have before? It's not reading the device for the adapter'd monitor most likely, so it just disables the device when it's not active, so it assumes you unplugged it.

2020/10/21 05:30:50
VE3YF
Hi:
Yes I finally got another cable and things are working just fine now. The one cable was somehow bad, but the new cable is fine. A little backwards on the setup, but I can live with the heartache.

Mike

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account