2020/10/03 15:55:26
aman4672
mchang1984
Y
kougar
mchang1984
Most people will go for Air-Cooled cards.

Watercooling enthusiasts are a very niche small group of the total customer base. So I don't think anyone will want to buy these in large demand comparing to air-cooled cards because it requires custom watercooling which I have.

The problem is, that also means Hydrocoppers tend to be stocked in lower quantities so there's less to go around. I remember EVGA had a hell of a time keeping them stocked even with the 2000-series. This forum has a large number of people holding out for the hydrocopper, if the number of posts I've seen is anything to go by. If I do buy a 3080 myself, it would only be a 3080 HC. At least I have a few weeks to decide first... 

It makes a huge difference in temperature, You can usually go 30C lower in temps. What normally I would see at 80-85C in temps on an air-cooled card, I can instead see 45C in temps on a Watercooled card on a waterblock and that means slightly better and more stable overlocks. The other benefit is that you are not limited to just 3 fans. The sky is the limit and you can have as many radiators as you want and run at a low fan speed so that the system is silent. So I would argue that watercooling is not only for overclocking enthusiasts but also for audiophiles and gamers that just want the best sound experience in games without having their computers sounding like a Jet Engine.

Kinda Brings up a good question IMO. I see more people with water cooled cpus and air cooled GPUS wouldn't the reverse make more since for quietness? Especially if you go like an NHD15 or dark rock pro 4.
2020/10/26 16:18:03
bavor
aman4672

Kinda Brings up a good question IMO. I see more people with water cooled cpus and air cooled GPUS wouldn't the reverse make more since for quietness? Especially if you go like an NHD15 or dark rock pro 4.

I guess it depends on if the CPU is water cooled with an AIO or a custom loop.   Also, a good AIO still cools a CPU better than a NH-D15 or DRP4 and the AIO is also quieter at the same CPU temperature.  In addition to that you don't run into all those clearance issues you get with a large CPU air cooler.  That's one reason why I got rid of my large Noctua air cooler and went with an AIO before eventually switching to an open loop.

If you already have a custom loop, why not water cool both unless you don't have the space in the case for enough radiators.
2020/10/26 22:58:36
kougar
aman4672

Yes it would. But AIO's are significantly more common for CPUs. Probably more AIO watercoolers than DIY watercoolers if I had to guess... but quieting a hot GPU was why I started watercooling GPUs, and the overclock stability + potential longevity keep me doing it. As mchang1984 said, a 30c reduction in temps is fairly easy to accomplish just by going custom.

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account