2020/10/02 07:08:52
Pilggrimm
All I need to know is do I get my card replaced for the ftw one since my current card is crashing on most games..? Even with the latest driver. Dont use words like overblown if something is a non-issue for you... put yourself in the shoes of the person having spend so much money and then have to deal with a product not working as it should.
2020/10/02 07:29:27
Axejess
Pilggrimm
All I need to know is do I get my card replaced for the ftw one since my current card is crashing on most games..? Even with the latest driver. Dont use words like overblown if something is a non-issue for you... put yourself in the shoes of the person having spend so much money and then have to deal with a product not working as it should.

ok i didn't knew that sins the only thing i got was i have xc3 with bad caps help.
There shouldn't be anything wrong with the cap config.

I would start troubleshooting where the problem lies. Is it connected with 2 different 8 pin cables or 1 shared ?
Did you try a ddu uninstall from the drivers and installed new ones from 0?
Deleted things like pressicion/other gpu over clock programs?
What happens on the crash? Does it go to desktop?
Can you check with gpu-z what the clocks/power of the gpu do before the crash?
Is the cpu/mem oc'ed? Did you try to remove those overclock?

Is it possible to try another card or this card in another system?

2020/10/02 15:25:41
kougar
Pilggrimm

If you bought a new 3080 and it's crashing on you then you need to open a support ticket so EVGA's techs can help you out. As Jacob's original message says, EVGA didn't ship any cards with the problematic cap configuration. 

You should also update your drivers to 456.55 if you haven't done so already, those fixed a lot of the crashing problems for people.
2020/10/02 15:59:51
Pilggrimm
I don't overclock anything. Cpu, mem, gpu all at factory. I'm running the latest driver. I did open a ticket.. someone said I can also check the forums which is what I'm doing here.
2020/10/03 01:51:51
Axejess
Pilggrimm
I don't overclock anything. Cpu, mem, gpu all at factory. I'm running the latest driver. I did open a ticket.. someone said I can also check the forums which is what I'm doing here.

What happens with the crashes? Does it go to the desktop? Does your pc reboot? Do you get a bsod? Did you check in gpu-z what happens before the crash?
What psu you got? Is it connected with 1 or 2 different 8 pins?
Did you try to delete everything with ddu and reinstalled the drivers?
Can you test it in another pc or another psu?

We wanna help but we need more info m8.

2020/10/03 05:09:33
ty_ger07
Axejess
Pilggrimm

What happens with the crashes? Does it go to the desktop? Does your pc reboot? Do you get a bsod? Did you check in gpu-z what happens before the crash?
What psu you got? Is it connected with 1 or 2 different 8 pins?
Did you try to delete everything with ddu and reinstalled the drivers?
Can you test it in another pc or another psu?

We wanna help but we need more info m8.

Please, can this be started as a separate thread elsewhere?
2020/10/03 07:11:50
Frammish
Axejess
Igor even resolved issues with some psu that couldnt handle the gpu with the old driver
https://www.igorslab.de/en/wonder-how-invidia-the-crashes-of-the-force-rtx-3080-andrtx-3090-will-be-removed-and-still-will-be-removed-even-from-the-power-supplies-analysis/

It was all way way way overblown so the witch hunt can be stopped now.

Not quite. Igor sums it up nicely in the conclusions on page 2. Paraphrasing, he asks why this wasn’t known earlier. And Igor is right. This was a rushed launch and Nvidia did not give AIB manufacturers the time or tools needed to properly design and provision these boards. It caused needless expense and delays for the rework and band aid patches and fixes to get working cards. The driver patch reduced performance but was necessary to prevent a total meltdown of the product launch. Slightly, maybe imperceptibly for some in some applications, but it still reduced performance to kludge for a hardware issue.

Without this noise issue, we might even be seeing many more cards hitting the 2.1GHz clocks Nvidia originally was shooting for. It’s spilled milk, but if we had those clocks, that’s a significant increase in performance. Bet the “Ti” cards hit 2.1GHz.

The delays and shortages have kept cards out of the market and gave scalpers a footing to make bank. Had Nvidia done things right, the time lost to proper testing and design would at least have been partially made up by not having to hold cards off the market, maybe fewer scalpers from less incentive, etc.

I wish Nvidia learned a lesson but I doubt it. Nvidia buggered this launch and I bet they do it again next generation. It’s a crappy attitude company that is able to coast on otherwise good technology. I hope they get hit by a class action lawsuit. Seems money is the only thing companies understand these days. They opened themselves up to that possibility when they took performance back to fix their mistakes.
2020/10/03 09:59:31
georgeasch
I absolutely agree in every way to what Frammish concludes and lost my anticipation already when i read that NVIDIA decided to change from TSMC to Samsung chips because i don´t really trust in their quality. Nowadays everything has to be cheaper and cheaper as we can see with POSCAPS too. I would only still buy EVGA graphics cards because they are the only ones that offer to buy a 10 years extended warranty.
2020/10/03 11:07:23
Axejess
Frammish
Axejess
Igor even resolved issues with some psu that couldnt handle the gpu with the old driver
https://www.igorslab.de/en/wonder-how-invidia-the-crashes-of-the-force-rtx-3080-andrtx-3090-will-be-removed-and-still-will-be-removed-even-from-the-power-supplies-analysis/

It was all way way way overblown so the witch hunt can be stopped now.

Not quite. Igor sums it up nicely in the conclusions on page 2. Paraphrasing, he asks why this wasn’t known earlier. And Igor is right. This was a rushed launch and Nvidia did not give AIB manufacturers the time or tools needed to properly design and provision these boards. It caused needless expense and delays for the rework and band aid patches and fixes to get working cards. The driver patch reduced performance but was necessary to prevent a total meltdown of the product launch. Slightly, maybe imperceptibly for some in some applications, but it still reduced performance to kludge for a hardware issue.

Without this noise issue, we might even be seeing many more cards hitting the 2.1GHz clocks Nvidia originally was shooting for. It’s spilled milk, but if we had those clocks, that’s a significant increase in performance. Bet the “Ti” cards hit 2.1GHz.

The delays and shortages have kept cards out of the market and gave scalpers a footing to make bank. Had Nvidia done things right, the time lost to proper testing and design would at least have been partially made up by not having to hold cards off the market, maybe fewer scalpers from less incentive, etc.

I wish Nvidia learned a lesson but I doubt it. Nvidia buggered this launch and I bet they do it again next generation. It’s a crappy attitude company that is able to coast on otherwise good technology. I hope they get hit by a class action lawsuit. Seems money is the only thing companies understand these days. They opened themselves up to that possibility when they took performance back to fix their mistakes.

Yeah they maybe rushed it and i do agree aib's should have had more tools or better drivers to test with like gamernexus also pointed out. And build up more stock.
But I don't agree that if that would be done that everyone would have had 2.1 chips. Maybe on tsmc sure. And if you look at benchmarks there don't seems to be that much dif between 1900-2050ish cards anyway so I don't think it would have matter that much scaling wise. Higher is better sure but that would cost more power watt wise and the only thing to reduce that would have been tsmc. We don't know the whole story but I guess that it also has to do with that tsmc is quite full order wise with amd/consoles/ryzen/new navi cards and there other customers wich also maybe why nvidia unfortunate had to go with samsung this time. Who know maybe we will hear the real story in the future what the real reasons where beside this. We can only speculate that's all.

And the benchmarking I don't see that much of a difference between the drivers it's not like there is so much gimping that it cost like 5%. I only saw like 1% and sometimes 0 or a little + even. I don't think it matters that much. Some people even are reporting higher clocks now on there cards and get a improvement instead.

cap noise yeah well I also think it has to do with the rest of the card. If you look at der8auer who removed some caps and replaced them with mlcc he got a stagering 15mhz more. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ud6NrbJllzkSo that's not that much of a difference is there? I don't see how that would let every card hit 2.1+
I still think nvidia is right with there statement that it depens on much more factors. Evga seems to have 270's caps on the back while others have 470's. Why? I trust them that there is a reason for that maybe the other parts of the board have much more and that's why they don't need bigger ones? Maybe bigger ones has more downsides for them? Who knows I sure don't.

Scalpers also has to do with the times they also do this with things like iphones and concert tickets ect. That just have to do with the modern times as well people want to earn money that's the unfortunately truth of capitalism. There are even sites now where you can buy your own bot(s) for that. Yes it's annoying but that's the modern times we live in. Best way would be if you have the patience wait till all the dust settles and if you can see what the other camp brings on the table. I myself am locked on nividia cause of my c9 and my gsync module monitor. Just remember it's only a videocard there are much more things in the world atm (corona).

2020/10/03 18:50:12
kevinc313
Sorry of this is a repost (not going to read the last few pages), but this guy actually tested the crashing and downclocked driver:

https://www.pcworld.com/article/3583894/nvidia-fix-rtx-3080-crashes-new-drivers-clock-speed.html

Excellent work.

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account