2020/09/29 09:39:50
ty_ger07

Why they do not only did like asus did? To change all to high quality ones?

Who says that SP-CAPs aren't high quality? Diversity is good too, you know. ASUS's 60 MLCCs aren't necessarily better. Watch the video Sajin posted above. Derbauer's conclusion is valuable.
2020/09/29 15:26:42
degenerate
ty_ger07

Who says that SP-CAPs aren't high quality? Diversity is good too, you know. ASUS's 60 MLCCs aren't necessarily better. Watch the video Sajin posted above. Derbauer's conclusion is valuable.

Buildzoid seems to think using MLCC's is better if they are the 47uF 0801's. His explanation as to why makes sense to me. That doesn't really mean that they make a huge difference in this scenario though, which is looking more & more to be the case as more testing is being done and more information is becoming available. What a disastrous launch from Nvidia.... methinks they are worried about what AMD is bringing to the party.
2020/09/29 15:49:55
ty_ger07
Yeah, the MLCC capacitors themselves perform better. No doubt about it. Many smaller capacitors with varying capacities perform better than one large capacitor. I am not arguing that. But just because the capacitors themselves perform better doesn't mean that it will be more desirable for this application if all of the capacitors are the same capacity. Various sizes and capacities are usually preferable, giving better characteristics over a wider range of frequencies; instead of having acute peaks and valleys at various frequencies. Just a general rule. If all 60 MLCCs are the same capacity, the end result MAY be less preferable to pairing 4 x 470 microfarad and 20 x 47 microfarad capacitors. Variety is usually preferable. Either way, in this application, I believe 4 x SP-CAPs plus 20 x MLCC versus 0 x SP-CAPs and 60 x MLCC: it won't make a difference or it will make such a tiny difference that it won't matter.
2020/09/29 15:52:06
Crismac1
degenerate
ty_ger07

Buildzoid seems to think using MLCC's is better if they are the 47uF 0801's. His explanation as to why makes sense to me. That doesn't really mean that they make a huge difference in this scenario though, which is looking more & more to be the case as more testing is being done and more information is becoming available. What a disastrous launch from Nvidia.... methinks they are worried about what AMD is bringing to the party.

I agree and if I can't get a card by the time AMD launches and I like what I see I might go that route. I haven't bought an AMD card since 2006. We will see if it's time.
2020/09/29 15:55:18
ty_ger07
I disagree. Or, should I say "not necessarily"? I agree, with caveats. And I disagree, with caveats. Therefore I cannot agree with such a simple "it's better" or "it's worse" without testing or discussing the caveats.

4 x 470 microfarads plus 20 x 47 microfarads can easily perform better than 60 x 47 microfarads across a wide range of frequencies.

IF those 60 x MLCCs are a variety of different capacities, that's one thing. But if they are all the same capacitance value, they can be shown to be inferior across a wide frequency range. When dealing with a wide frequency range, variety is often preferable.

The capacitors themselves: better versus worse can easily be proven. When installed on a complex device, its no longer that simple.

If you already understand what bypass capacitors are and why they are used, skip to the 10 minute mark in the following video, and then watch him -- an electrical engineer -- explain why various bypass capacitance values are used in combination with eachother for improved frequency response:
https://youtu.be/BcJ6UdDx1vg
2020/09/30 03:22:50
axtoxic
I heard that the new driver fixed the problem
2020/09/30 03:39:58
NIR_Rimc
Yea fixed:D You know how? They don't allow to boost over 2000 :)
2020/09/30 13:39:20
Avolate
Driver downclock for all. 
2020/09/30 16:06:53
pau164
Crismac1
I agree and if I can't get a card by the time AMD launches and I like what I see I might go that route. I haven't bought an AMD card since 2006. We will see if it's time.

I've also considered this but I'd really like to have ray tracing and DLSS. If AMD has equivalent solutions then it might be my first AMD card.
2020/09/30 19:41:29
musiq1086
Is there anyway to know if there is going to be a hardware change to new cards comming out or if they will just not let you clock over 2k anymore 

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account