2020/09/24 11:48:37
aka_STEVE_b
Very good article detailing the questions we all have , about Big Tech not figuring out how to sell their products effectively....

https://www.theverge.com/21451144/sony-ps5-preorder-microsoft-xbox-series-x-nvidia-rtx-3080-mess

The gaming industry keeps failing miserably at selling its most important products

Why is it so hard to place an order for a next-gen console or new Nvidia graphics card?

Why, in the year 2020, are companies as large, experienced, and well-funded as Microsoft, Sony, and Nvidia still failing at preorders? It’s an especially puzzling question when companies like Apple, Samsung, and even Facebook-owned Oculus seem to have figured out how to properly manage expectations and sell a new in-demand device without turning it into a stress-inducing scramble.

----------

10/2/2020

another article  - https://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2020-10-02-hardware-launches-and-pre-orders-desperately-need-a-shake-up-opinion

2020/09/24 19:12:46
kougar
Poor corporate decision making. They decided the current situation is worth minimizing leaks and "launching first", even if it's a paper launch and people will be unable to buy product even after competitors launch their own product. We may see AMD 6000's on the shelf before the 3080's at this rate. Product scarcity creates a different environment today than it did in the 1990's but corporate decision making mentality is still focused on pushing the timetable envelope beyond the realistic. 

Just-in-time inventories is nothing new, yet companies have been launching product with smaller and smaller existing launch day supply, and for most of the last decade this translates into paper launches. It will be ironic if AMD's 6000 cards hard launch and people can buy those when the 3080 remains unavailable, but at the end of the day the management at NVIDIA won't learn anything despite gifting AMD a perfect storm of launch conditions for its competing product. I doubt NVIDIA even cares anymore about the sheer amount of flack and burned goodwill its AIBs are suffering right now, let alone ire generated against its own brand. People won't be able to buy 3080s for months, so would delaying the launch a single month to build some inventory first have truly hurt anything? In their rationalization doing so was worse than the resulting mess we're seeing now. It's worth noting that by NVIDIA's own admission internal predictions indicated the 3000 launch would break records, but NVIDIA decided it still wasn't worth building inventory up for ahead of time. 
2020/09/24 20:04:21
gabolton
CascadingStyleSheets
never wanted to spend so much money this badly

What he said.
2020/09/25 04:21:31
aka_STEVE_b
Some companies can figure it out and retain brand loyalty , ... and others just keep hitting the wall with their head over and over again.
2020/09/26 00:33:29
Mandalorian1977
They're too caught up in trying to generate hype. 
2020/09/26 00:45:41
guitarwar241
Yeah, it's been a mess man. 
2020/09/26 14:56:44
schweibreezy
all hype, no production, no sales, stock crashes, everyone cries, next armageddon!
2020/09/26 15:16:31
guitarwar241
schweibreezy
all hype, no production, no sales, stock crashes, everyone cries, next armageddon!

No kidding! NVIDIA turned this into a huge hype train and they haven't even been close to meeting the  "unprecedented" demand. Just lol
2020/09/26 15:22:54
gterry180
I don't understand marketing, but I do like transparency.
2020/09/26 15:48:57
wedansti
gterry180
I don't understand marketing, but I do like transparency.

EVGA's transparency and customer interaction so far has been incredible.

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account