2021/05/21 17:38:29
ysesq
might be spectre mitigation. i would stick with old bioses.

2021/05/22 06:04:14
Limeay
Hi guys. This is way off topic but I bought a evga z370 micro from evga for $90 total and im having 5 beeps and d6 error code. Does that mean I need an 8th gen cpu to flash to latest bios version for a 9th gen 9700k? Thanks
2021/05/23 18:03:32
ceevee
I'm not sure this is going to be fixed. According to post #21 in the "X299 Dark Current/EDP limit throttling at default BIOS 1.20 settings?" thread (can't post link), they are experiencing the same thing. However, it seems like current limit throttling is removed when per core ratio is set manually or when overclocked. I tried to do the same on Z370 Micro with a 9900K, but current limit throttling remains. 

EDIT: It seems like a new BIOS update on X299 Dark fixed this issue. The BIOS version that contains the fix is 1.25. The release notes:
  • Update CPU Microcode to 6A08 (SKL-X) and 3003 (CCL-X)
  • Fix PerCore voltage mapping issue for several CPUs

I think the bolded fix may also fix Current Limit throttling on EVGA Z370 with my 9900k. But the Z370 Micro bios needs to be updated.
2021/05/28 17:23:57
Limeay
ceevee
I'm not sure this is going to be fixed. According to post #21 in the "X299 Dark Current/EDP limit throttling at default BIOS 1.20 settings?" thread (can't post link), they are experiencing the same thing. However, it seems like current limit throttling is removed when per core ratio is set manually or when overclocked. I tried to do the same on Z370 Micro with a 9900K, but current limit throttling remains. 

EDIT: It seems like a new BIOS update on X299 Dark fixed this issue. The BIOS version that contains the fix is 1.25. The release notes:
  • Update CPU Microcode to 6A08 (SKL-X) and 3003 (CCL-X)
  • Fix PerCore voltage mapping issue for several CPUs

I think the bolded fix may also fix Current Limit throttling on EVGA Z370 with my 9900k. But the Z370 Micro bios needs to be updated.

Would be great if they updated the micro board. I have it but yet to get it to post
2021/06/05 10:03:26
eighty_D
Limeay
Hi guys. This is way off topic but I bought a evga z370 micro from evga for $90 total and im having 5 beeps and d6 error code. Does that mean I need an 8th gen cpu to flash to latest bios version for a 9th gen 9700k? Thanks

yes you need an 8th gen if its on an early bios. grab a cheap celeron or borrow a cpu from a friend

2021/06/05 10:10:43
Limeay
Celeron g4900 didn't work for some reason. Not sure why. Im going to get a i5 8500 today and reply back and tell you result. Don't have any friends with any 8th gen cpus
2021/06/05 22:09:47
ceevee
Tried using Thottlestop (TS) to prevent Current Limit Throttling: Tried increasing IccMax under CPU Core Voltage in TS, didn't work. PP0 Current Limit setting is also not available in Turbo Power Limits setting in TS.

The BIOS is locked down for any configuration of Current Limit. I wish EVGA would fix this and allow unlimited current, just like other boards. Even though the EVGA Z370 Micro has great VRMs, any production workloads using my 9900k (e.g. AVX) is crippled by current limit throttling.

EDIT: FIXED: Use Thottlestop. Click on TPL box. Change Power Limit 4 (the newer name for PP0 Current Limit) max value to 0. Now I no longer get any Current/EDP Throttling. In case you want to revert the change, my default PL4 value on BIOS v1.16 was 300 for min and max.
2021/06/06 02:46:36
Limeay
Thank you. Thats a work around. Curious if anyone at win-raid knows how to compare bios files to figure out how to fix it by looking into all the individual efi files or something. Ceevee, keep this thread active if possible if you find a fix for this.

Update: saw you commented on the z370 classified K.

I have a request for z370 micro on win-raid, hoping for someone to mod it with certain features.

Look up "[REQUEST] How do i mod EVGA Z370 Micro/help me mod this?" On win-raid.

Please add to the thread on your request for features to be added you see fit.
2021/06/06 12:11:06
Limeay
Reply to Ceevee: whats the purpose of telling us incase you want to revert what the value in bios was...?

Is it for us users online curious of the value of the current when you set throttlestop or before you set it?
Guessing this is good info for those that want to know before and after current limits for data reasons.

Sorry if this comes as a offensive reply. Having hard time figuring how to respond back properly without sounding like a d*** :(

Thank you very much! I own a z370 micro, this will be extremely helpful if I OC my 9700k. Once I get the pos to post in couple days with a i5 8500... still wished they had a bios update fix though.
2021/06/06 12:25:22
ceevee
Limeay
Reply to Ceevee: whats the purpose of telling us incase you want to revert what the value in bios was...?

In case someone wants to revert to the stock PL4 limit provided by the bios. The other way of reverting back to stock is exiting Throttlestop, deleting its .INI file, then powering off (not rebooting) the PC. After turning the PC back on, you can see the PL4 limit is back to stock when you run Throttlestop (I did not test this specifically for PL4 limit, but this is how to revert all forgotten Throttlestop changes back to stock in general). Any long duration heavy workloads (e.g. multiple cinebench runs) will go back to triggering a Current/EDP limit throttle.

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account