2020/09/21 01:07:47
rjohnson11
https://hexus.net/tech/news/graphics/145585-nvidia-create-sli-driver-profiles-jan-2021/

NVIDIA has been limiting SLI support recently with only the RTX 3090 featuring support for the feature and even then only through modern APIs such as DirectX 12 and Vulkan meaning that games must explicitly support SLI to work. NVIDIA will no longer be adding new SLI driver profiles on RTX 20 Series and earlier GPUs starting on January 1st, 2021. The only way to use SLI going forward will be through native game integrations which NVIDIA will focus on helping developers provide. NVIDIA also noted that various DirectX 12 and Vulkan games already feature native integrations such as; Shadow of the Tomb Raider, Civilization VI, Sniper Elite 4, Gears of War 4, and Red Dead Redemption 2. Creative and other non-gaming applications that support multi-GPU acceleration will continue to function across all supported GPUs.

In other words game/app developers will have to code and allow support to make future SLI work on RTX 20 and earlier series cards
2020/09/21 02:44:03
howdyho1
For those of us running older GPUs, until we can get our hands on a 3090, this piece from the article is important.

This doesn't signal a sudden stop, be assured that existing SLI driver profiles will continue to be maintained for SLI-ready RTX 20 Series and earlier GPUs.

2020/09/21 08:15:01
aka_STEVE_b
A real shame they let this technology flounder & just disappear....
2020/09/21 18:20:14
Brad_Hawthorne
It's an architectural let down. These cards should have a direct bus bridge that makes the cards parallel process like chiplets. The reason why SLI should go away is to optimize parallel processing instead of getting rid of it. This shows a lack of vision by Nvidia. If Nvidia wanted to they could design their architecture to properly linearly scale using a common bus across all cards. Problem is that was what SLI was supposed to be but they never achieved it even in the NVLink iterations. This is passing the buck to the API developers to duct tape parallel processing together in software, instead of hardware. Software solutions are almost never better than hardware solutions because of driver and API level bugs given whatever version being used. Gotta realize we're passing the buck to Microsoft to make parallel processing GPUs work and they screw with the render pipelines every 6 months now with Windows 10 updates (often for no apparent reason other than random graphic user interface tweaks).

Instead of championing features, they're abandoning them. The original dumped was 3D Vision. Also VitualLink was quietly dumped with a total lack of commentary. They left both dead awhile back. I expect G-Sync will be next abandoned in favor of the open Adaptive V-Sync (VESA's FreeSync specification). 

Just imagine those people going 3090 to get SLI to conflate their benchmark scores just to find their second $1500 card will be a paper weight next year.
2020/09/21 18:54:01
hallowen
Well, After hearing about that poo from Nvidia, Looks like my only future choice is to use only one EVGA RTX 3090 Kingpin.

Glad I heard this was coming before I spent all that $$$$ on another SLI setup.
2020/09/21 19:04:34
Brad_Hawthorne
From the sounds of this, it makes the most sense to wait for the RTX3080ti I keep on hearing about, then OC it 15% with water cooling and call it good for another 2 generations.
2020/09/21 19:14:38
hallowen
Brad_Hawthorne
From the sounds of this, it makes the most sense to wait for the RTX3080ti I keep on hearing about, then OC it 15% with water cooling and call it good for another 2 generations.

That does sound like a good plan to start with if I can just manage to find/purchase a 3080 Ti.
2020/09/21 23:09:16
atfrico
I would go for a Navi and call it a day, ye😼
2020/09/21 23:16:03
rjohnson11
atfrico

Well first it would be good to see some benchmarks. 
2020/09/21 23:19:45
atfrico
rjohnson11
atfrico

Well first it would be good to see some benchmarks. 

If Navi runs Crysis remastered better will you get it?🤔
AMD is going all out on this one RJ😎, just like Intel😮

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account