2020/09/18 06:12:56
kvn864
Hello.
in the picture attached, some memory blocks are much warmer than the rest of the card, what does this indicate? bad thermal padding? should I worry? I think what it leads to is that fans spinning faster than they would if the temperature on the memory didn't have this crazy 40C gap. What do you guys think? Thanks 

Attached Image(s)

2020/09/18 07:04:00
DeadlyMercury
No, you shouldn't. It is a typical picture. 
https://forums.evga.com/R...-3-Temps-m3048354.aspx
2020/09/18 09:15:44
AHowes
It is strange that mem1 is 40c less then the other mem chips.

Is it like that at idle temps as well?

If that is load temps which I'm assuming the 80c temps are normal for the ram.. 40s are low and prob that sensor is reporting wrong. 40s would be with water cooling on load.

Edit:

Forgot to mention that when I had mine and on the kingpin the mem1 was always a few c higher then the other mem chip sensors.. even in other pics I've seen and reports from others.
2020/09/18 09:28:29
kvn864
AHowes
Is it like that at idle temps as well?

no, the picture was taken while gaming. at idle, all the memory chips are even around 40ish. if you look at some disassembly videos it is kinda obvious why this is happens, the hottest block has just a plate covering the memory chips, with the padding to the heatsink on the other side, and right above it, heatpipes from the core cooling, should be some airflow, idk, fans run at like 2k rpm when its warm like this, audible. all the reviewers state the card is quiet (silent), it isn't. but, I also understand it has to deal with 300W of heat... here is what I want: A card that 90% of 2080ti, and consumes 100W and inaudible 
2020/09/18 09:50:04
AHowes
Mem1 hotter then others even under a water block ;)

Anyways.. maybe reach out to evga if that one mem temp sensor issue bothers you. They may replace the card with a used refurbished card.

You want a silent card.. Can do that with a water block for it ;)
2020/09/18 11:05:24
DeadlyMercury
AHowes
If that is load temps which I'm assuming the 80c temps are normal for the ram.. 40s are low and prob that sensor is reporting wrong. 40s would be with water cooling on load.

And it is "reporting wrong" on all ftw3. And on all ftw3 mem2 and mem3 actually hotter than gpu itself.
It is not about bad sensors or something like that - but about sensors placement: they are not inside mem chips directly, but somewhere near memory chips and could be heated by something else or not heated by mem chip enough.

Look the thread I gave link to. Same picture even under waterblock.

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account