2020/09/15 13:20:01
Techpriest Revenant
Hi everyone,
I own 2070S FTW3 since august last year (I've pre-ordered 2070S FTW3, one of first batches). GPU had very noticeable coil whine since it was out-of-box. But I never had drama-issues with tolerating coil whine (it happens, every GPU has it in some degree... esp. high-power models). But... at the moment I am pretty much pissed. Over months my GPU coil whine increased significantly. First time in my life I am annoyed by coil whine.

It is super noticeable and loud, even ambient music from the game isn't sometimes loud enough to "cover" the coil whine (I have Define R6 silenced case on my desk, about 80cm from my ear). In games like World of Warships, Grand Theft Auto V and Witcher 3 I always hear loud and drama coil whine. It's strong enough that often in games I started to face my camera to the ground... to silence the coils... (for example world of warships while reloading guns on BB's). 

I am playing 4K res, so GPU is pretty much stressed so it can justify some higher-degree coil whine it think (but isn't high-fps with high-refresh rate monitor make them even more loud?). But... it's way too much for me, enough to just stop playing after 20-30m. I was able and ignore "basic" coil whine... but... it became too annoying (very mildly speaking).

I will have to stay with my GPU at least to the RTX 4000 series (end of 2021?) with my 2070S. Do you have any advice what to do? I am living in Europe and bought GPU from Caseking (Germany).

And to avoid unessesary questions:
1) Yes I've checked GPU with other PSU's. I own Seasonic Focus Plus Platinum 750W and in Q2 2020 it was replaced after an RMA = same with the new unit. Also I've checked it with my friends BQ Pure Power 11 PSU. Same. 
2) I haven't checked other mobo (I don't have such possibility). I have Crosshair VII Hero WiFi
3) GPU operates in 60-70*c range, 70*c in very long 4K AAA game-session. I have ultra airflow in my case (I care about my fluffy hardware)
4) Rising power limit doesn't impact coil-whine
5) BIOS (GPU has dual bios) doesn't impact coil whine (at least the way I could notice)

Also, one of my fans (Fan number 1) Is always spinning ~~100rpm lower than other two fans - it doesn't care if it has same %. Is it normal? But this is off-topic. I am here for the coil whine. 

Please someone give me advice before I will do something like this:

2020/09/15 19:08:03
Talon2020
I've had coil whine before on GPUs to varying degrees but it's never been loud enough to annoy me with headphones while gaming. Do you not wear headphones? If you do and it still annoys you, pretty much the only fix would be to RMA the card back to EVGA and get another 2070 Super FTW3 card which is hopefully less noisey. Unfortunately I think they send you a refurbished card which may or may not be as good as your current card in regards to clocks or temps. Could be a gamble. Good luck. 
2020/09/16 06:54:13
Techpriest Revenant
Hmmm... before doing anything stupid or unnecessary RMA.

Can Seasonic original PCI-E cable cause coil whine? It is 8pin (PSU side) to double 2x8 pin PCI-e (GPU side) - daisy chained. 
From my knowledge 2070S FTW3 is rated for about 215W. Seasonic 18AWG cable should be able to hold like... 280-300W without issues. And then we have 75W from PCI-e. 
I am running my GPU on default power limit, but 4K might stress all the juice from it.  

2020/09/16 09:34:41
davevt31
If you can, try using two separate power cables from the power supply.
2020/09/17 12:36:52
Techpriest Revenant
Update!

I've connected second PCI-e cable (2 x daisychained 2x8pin, but both daisy-chain's connectors are unplugged). And... well... luckily I never panic and I did not RMA'd.
Coil whine has been reduced by about 60-80%. In World of Warships even completely. And... my gpu boosts higher in 2160p under full stress. 
Witcher 3 - increased from 2040Mhz to 2070Mhz
World of Warships - increased from 2055Mhz to 2085Mhz

Solution to the problem:
If you are using daisy-chained PCI-e cable (mainly SEASONIC users) with GPU that uses more than 225W connect second cable instead of one daisy-chained. 
That way you could gain some performance and reduce (greatly) coil whine of your graphics card.

Theorycraft: maybe coil-whine in this case was created because of single-cable resistance or PCI-e slot power draw. 

So... I am an idiot who was torturing himself for a year. At least I have an excuse to order Cablemod direct-PSU cables. 

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account