• EVGA Warranty Questions
  • Real BAD Experience RMA Evga 1080ti sc2 Black Edition artifacts on 1 Hour of activity ._.
2020/08/12 17:41:19
drjfrost
Hi I am writing here hoping to get a quick response, since I really feel frustrated, AND Emails take weeks to get answered . 
Over one Month Ago I Submitted an RMA because the tachometer/fan sensor was damaged and not reading values, thus keeping my card's fan at 100% rpm usage always.
the customer support approved the RMA and asked me to send the GPU to the evga RMA department, although the shipping was expensive ($120 USD) due to the country I live in (Colombia) I decided to send the GPU since I really trusted that my problem was going to be solved ...

the GPU arrived after 3 days (shout-out to DHL which was really great and efficient sending the gpu to the RMA department)

The RMA department confirmed the issue and decided to send another unit of the same model for me (which was also weird for me since it's been almost 3 years from the last production and I didn't thought there were going to be units available, I actually expected them to fix it since it was not a big issue just the fan sensor..., I could play normally, view stuff normally, not a single artifact but the noise of the fan was so loud that it went through my headphones)

However after 1 month (not 5-7 days as you guys stated in the docs) I received the RMA (also I never ever got a single email with the tracking info of the RMA Unit..., even after I sent several emails asking about my GPU tracking info).

Anyways, today surprisingly the GPU arrived, so I decided to install the GPU on my computer and make some benchmarks to test the gpu, (The GPU was in perfect physical shape, which has been the only good thing about this entire process tbh). at first the graphics card was doing pretty good, no problems at all and the fan sensor problem was completely gone, I was able to see RPM speeds again, set custom fan curves, etc, without getting the fans going to 100%. however after 1 hour or 2 the screen got completely black and windows OS froze (I thought at first it's all right since games can crash, it's a normal thing) but then when I restarted the computer, it could not go past the login view!!!. Here I started to see that it was not a good sign, then I restarted the computer for a 3rd time. it got to the desktop view this time, but once discord and other apps that use GPU acceleration initiated, it started to artifact again. I hard resetted the computer (since it would not turn off  as the previous artifacts lol) and this 4rd time it did not make it past the windows boot logo. at this point I decided to remove the graphics card from my computer since I did not want to harm any other component.

I really feel so frustrated about the way this has been treated, I sent a GPU whose failing part was a fan sensor, paid $120 in shipping fees, waited for a full Month with no information about my GPU, only to receive a GPU in worse conditions???? .

I seriously hope this gets solved in some way, also paying another RMA ship is definitely not and option since I already paid $120 + and paying another $120 in shipping fees ($240-50ISH total) could easily give me half of the price of a brand new rtx 2070.

Lastly I wanted to note the fact that I work with this (I am a programmer) and waiting another month is not an option too since I make a living from it. I will have to buy a temporary gpu probably and all I hope is getting a refund or some WORKING gpu.  Sorry if I sounded so rude but Man it really feels so bad...

The screen also looked like this when the system froze, before turning completely black (it would not give me time to take a picture)

I also made some videos, here is the link:
https: // drive. google .com /drive/folders/1yaMwUn_CQBTdLlb5ZYw7T-WILTSYVJVq?usp=sharing

2020/08/12 22:19:10
HeavyHemi
drjfrost
Hi I am writing here hoping to get a quick response, since I really feel frustrated, AND Emails take weeks to get answered . 
Over one Month Ago I Submitted an RMA because the tachometer/fan sensor was damaged and not reading values, thus keeping my card's fan at 100% rpm usage always.
the customer support approved the RMA and asked me to send the GPU to the evga RMA department, although the shipping was expensive ($120 USD) due to the country I live in (Colombia) I decided to send the GPU since I really trusted that my problem was going to be solved ...

the GPU arrived after 3 days (shout-out to DHL which was really great and efficient sending the gpu to the RMA department)

The RMA department confirmed the issue and decided to send another unit of the same model for me (which was also weird for me since it's been almost 3 years from the last production and I didn't thought there were going to be units available, I actually expected them to fix it since it was not a big issue just the fan sensor..., I could play normally, view stuff normally, not a single artifact but the noise of the fan was so loud that it went through my headphones)

However after 1 month (not 5-7 days as you guys stated in the docs) I received the RMA (also I never ever got a single email with the tracking info of the RMA Unit..., even after I sent several emails asking about my GPU tracking info).

Anyways, today surprisingly the GPU arrived, so I decided to install the GPU on my computer and make some benchmarks to test the gpu, (The GPU was in perfect physical shape, which has been the only good thing about this entire process tbh). at first the graphics card was doing pretty good, no problems at all and the fan sensor problem was completely gone, I was able to see RPM speeds again, set custom fan curves, etc, without getting the fans going to 100%. however after 1 hour or 2 the screen got completely black and windows OS froze (I thought at first it's all right since games can crash, it's a normal thing) but then when I restarted the computer, it could not go past the login view!!!. Here I started to see that it was not a good sign, then I restarted the computer for a 3rd time. it got to the desktop view this time, but once discord and other apps that use GPU acceleration, it started to artifact again. I hard resetted the computer (since it would not turn off  as the previous artifacts lol) and this 4rd time it did not make it past the windows boot logo. at this point I decided to remove the graphics card from my computer since I did not want to harm any other component.

I really feel so frustrated about the way this has been treated, I sent a GPU whose failing part was a fan sensor, paid $120 in shipping fees, waited for a full Month with no information about my GPU, only to receive a GPU in worse conditions???? .

I seriously hope this gets solved in some way, also paying another RMA ship is definitely not and option since I already paid $120 + and paying another $120 in shipping fees ($240-50ISH total) could easily give me half of the price of a brand new rtx 2070.

Lastly I wanted to note the fact that I work with this (I am a programmer) and waiting another month is not an option too since I make a living from it. I will have to buy a temporary gpu probably and all I hope is getting a refund or some WORKING gpu.  Sorry if I sounded so rude but Man it really feels so bad...

The screen also looked like this when the system froze, before turning completely black (it would not give me time to take a picture)

I also made some videos, here is the link:

https: / / drive. google .com /drive/folders/1yaMwUn_CQBTdLlb5ZYw7T-WILTSYVJVq?usp=sharing

That definitely looks like a faulty GPU, specifically memory. As a temporary measure, try reducing the memory clocks using Afterburner or Precision. I'd have EVGA see if they could do an Advanced RMA and send a GPU to you now, while you return the faulty one. It's the least they can do.
2020/08/12 23:28:21
drjfrost
HeavyHemi
That definitely looks like a faulty GPU, specifically memory. As a temporary measure, try reducing the memory clocks using Afterburner or Precision. I'd have EVGA see if they could do an Advanced RMA and send a GPU to you now, while you return the faulty one. It's the least they can do.

I actually removed the gpu and left the computer on with IntelHD graphics, I prefer to have an stable graphics on my computer at least to make it work, than having some unstable gpu. also I tried this in the other PCI port with no luck of course, but this time the computer would froze after a couple of time. It always let me log in to windows and do some stuff but after like 5-15 mins it would froze completely. is that memory related too? I know for sure that this card is completelly. however I am curious about what could be the cause.
2020/08/13 05:01:32
the_Scarlet_one
drjfrost,

I am going to forward this up to the US office and have them try to assist. Before you pay to ship, give them a chance to respond to you via email, so that they can see what options there are.

Also, please refrain from posted vulgar language, even if you star out parts of it.
2020/08/13 09:58:27
Tech_JoseC
drjfrost

Hello drjfrost and welcome to the forums! I am very sorry to hear that your replacement graphics card is not working out of the box. I'm going to close out your ticket and work with you directly via email so that we can get this taken care of for you as soon as possible. 

-Jose C.
2020/08/13 11:25:40
drjfrost
alright tanks for the support provided I am going to try to keep this forum updated with any notices so that any further client can see how the process went
2020/08/13 16:30:27
Zeddivile
More BAD RMA experiences dumping out onto the forums, & needing cleanup on isle "EVGA Warranty Questions"

I would recommend that EVGA make some changes in the old "service department."  These predatory RMA interactions can only be hidden by your forum gang for so long EVGA.... 

@OP Best of luck with what would appear to be a "special handling" of your complaint.  Sounds like a traumatic experience causing undue financial hardship.

@EVGA Good job continuing to enable and promote negativity in the community with your service departments anti consumer warranty practices. Whats next? Trying to enforce the e legal no tamper stickers found on your products in the USA in order to void warranties?...

2020/08/13 16:53:12
drjfrost
Alright here I am back I was told  to try the GPU on a friend's system like 2 hours ago fortunatelly I knew they were going to come with something like this so I did that before I even received their email. I installed the gpu on his system and the card worked nicelly for the first couple of hours (just like it happened to me) it past every single benchmark, we were able play games normally do stuff normally, etc, but after like 5 hours it also froze his system LOL and once it did that it would artifact every single time the computer turned on (just like me) this makes me come to a realization, and it's the fact that the "rigorous test" you make for the GPU is probably some sort of benchmarks, fan speeds, clock speeds and that's it. based on that the GPU is always going to pass the test since you don't even leave it working for a day. it literally is like "Imagine testing a car whose issue is the tank dropping fuel, you fullfill the tank and since the car is going smoothly then it passed the test" like HELLO???

Also I followed the instructions on thye email, just to make sure that it was NOT my system (although this was kind of silly since the reason I submitted and RMA first was because my GPU was having problems with the Fan Sensors not reading info (0rpm 0% speed) and having the rpm speeds at 100% each time they got activated, NOT artifacts, not crashes, not system freezes, not anything video related so if that were the case it would make sense but it was NOT. just Fan sensor related problems...)

I also worked at a call center and I know there are some basic troubleshooting steps, so can we please skip all of that since I already know that that won't work, because I already did them and please do some REAL solution?

btw I also listened to HeavyHemi and decided to wait buying another temporary GPU to be able to work with that, since I finally seem to be getting quick answers. however I might still do if this is not solved real soon...
2020/08/14 13:17:33
drjfrost

So I am back once again, this time after receiving their email they said that they " cant cover the shipping costs" and instead they offer me to pay for it in change of a "RTX 2080 and a free mouse" 

Alright so to summarize, I bought a top tier GPU which got broken in less than 3 years, paid the first RMA to get a fan sensor fixed of a FULLY working GPU in terms of software, never received information about my GPU until I got it back (not a single email tracking number anything...). That supposedly working RMA took a full month to get here (not 5 -7 days, and when it finally arrived it turned out to be a bad GPU in worse conditions that the one I sent, at this point I've spent for a GPU around $1000 ($900 original price + $120 for shipping fees), now you are telling me to pay another $120 dollars ($1240 in total) so that I get clear DOWGRADE RMA  plus a "Free mouse" are you actually kidding me?.

reasons why it is a clear dowgrade?:

Less CUDA Cores in the first place which is actually the stuff I use at work. around 30-40% ish percent less.
Less Vram (3GB in total LOOOL)
Less memory Buss
Less Mem Bandwith

not to mention the benchmarks in productions/gaming on both of this cards lol
yes I know its another architechture but I am actually loosing more than winning, only to have " RTX"

Clearly for production/gaming this is going to affect me, and not only you are NOT covering the shipping fees that YOUR mistakes cause, but also you are telling me to pay for a direct Downgrade and I am 100% sure it will be a refurbished one, all of that for $ 1250 in total? like HELLLOOOOWW? 

Of course I won't accept an RTX2080 as RMA cuz at this point I feel I make better testing on the GPU's that the ones they do at RMA department. Also the first GPU I sent only had a faulty Fan Sensor which could easily be fixed by changing it. It worked Perfectly on Video Stuff, It did not artifacted or had bad temperatures or bad performance...

you know if you want me to pay another $120 dollars in shipping fees ($250 in total) which again is half the price of another decent GPU (2070 probably), I would expect at least some RMA that in fact REPRESENTS those costs, since it is not my fault that you guys don't test GPU's the way they should be, it is not my fault that you guys manufacture a $900 GPU so bad that it starts failing in 2 years... etc..  Sorry but if you don't offer some good solution/RMA (not to mention all of the bad practices you have done in this entire process) then you should pay the costs of sending this back to you until I get a proper working GPU. Again it's not my fault that your employees can't even do their job, for real...

Lastly it also means that now I would also have to wait another month or 2 to get a GPU. so in general I would pay $1250 in costs (which is the price of a top tier GPU), to get a downgrade, get a "free mouse" which I actually don't need and also I'd have to look for something to do so that I survive this 2 months without working  . Great Job EVGA, at the beggining I was patient because I believe that mistakes can happen and still believed that you had the best customer support, but that clearly is not the case!.
2020/08/14 15:44:18
drjfrost
Got another response basically telling me why 2080 is the same as a 1080ti, which might sound fair but considering all the other stuff/money that has been spent here it is not fair (1 month + without GPU, no information about it, not 5-7 day shipping as they say, no emails, I sent a fully working GPU in terms of software and received a fully broken one, they want me to pay more money for the shipping not even advanced RMA so yeah I definitely can't accept that offer :)

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account