2020/08/10 12:36:28
belgradar
I am actually having a similar issue the heat can be managed a bit by adjusting the fans to run all the time at set speed to keep it cool and no thermal throttle in most games.  however, I saw over at gamers nexus that EVGA decided to stack up to 9mm of thermal pads on the memory chips for me its mostly just the insane nose the cards have to reach that drives me nuts.  Does evga have a solution for getting something to deal with the insane size of thermal pads they choose to use rather than a heat transfer plate to save on a few bucks of cash. I am basically stuck with the card I guess at this point.  I am looking for solutions on what I could do to increase that thermal transfer.  I do now downclocking the memory pretty much solves the problem but seems a bit dumb to pay for something that just thermal throttles constantly.
2020/08/10 12:55:47
Cool GTX

belgradar
I am actually having a similar issue the heat can be managed a bit by adjusting the fans to run all the time at set speed to keep it cool and no thermal throttle in most games.  however, I saw over at gamers nexus that EVGA decided to stack up to 9mm of thermal pads on the memory chips for me its mostly just the insane nose the cards have to reach that drives me nuts.  Does evga have a solution for getting something to deal with the insane size of thermal pads they choose to use rather than a heat transfer plate to save on a few bucks of cash. I am basically stuck with the card I guess at this point.  I am looking for solutions on what I could do to increase that thermal transfer.  I do now downclocking the memory pretty much solves the problem but seems a bit dumb to pay for something that just thermal throttles constantly.

which EVGA part number GPU ?

have a link to gamers nexus review you mention ? Was it a Video or article ?

2020/08/10 13:00:35
belgradar
it likes to delete the video link on me

06G-P4-1068-KR

But this is video title
GTX 1660 Super Tear-Downs: 9mm of Thermal Pads & Bendy Backplates

edit by Cool GTX embed the video & added link to GPU
2020/08/10 13:01:39
Cool GTX
Limits on low post count members
Add a space in the url ... skip www.

See: Ultimate Self-Starter Thread For New Members

#4   --> There is an acceptable workaround for posting links until you reach 30 posts.

If you are a newer member and need to add a link, you can simply put spaces in your links such as: https:// forums. evga. com

What temp is your room ?

What case & case fan is your setup using ?

What speed & control are you using for the case fans ?

Getting the heat out of the case before it is recycled into the GPU is important
2020/08/10 13:05:59
belgradar
Corsair 750D also have an EVGA CLC 280mm All-In-One RGB LED CPU Liquid Cooler on the top of the case with a few better noctola fans on it to keep it quiet and improve the cooling a lot. all the Power supply air is also looped through the bottom and out the back so no heat there and to fans in the front and one more out at the back.  sorry room temp is like 19-22cel or 66-71f given the time of day. Case fans are controlled by MSI Software with the motherboards thermal sensors  

Attached Image(s)

2020/08/10 13:09:10
Cool GTX
OK,

So you have a 1660 Super   06G-P4-1068-KR

EVGA GeForce GTX 1660 SUPER SC ULTRA GAMING, 06G-P4-1068-KR, 6GB GDDR6, Dual Fan, Metal Backplate

Which way do the fans blow --> In or Out ?

AIO for the CPU is probably controlled by CPU temp

How are the other fans "controlled" ?  fixed RPM, by the temp of some device ?
2020/08/10 13:15:41
belgradar
the CPU fans are Controlled by EVGA flow control and the thermal throttle the AIO have the funs pulling air out and the fan on the back pulls air out the 2 fans in front pull air in and the door cover on the front of the 750D case I leave open just the dust filter sits on the front of the fans. Figured it let in more air this way.  I also about once a month I dust out the PC although with all the dust filters on this case it does not get to dusty inside.  the video card fans push air into the card  Case fans are controlled by MSI Software with the motherboards thermal sensors  
2020/08/10 13:26:19
Cool GTX
Obsidian Series™ 750D Full Tower ATX Case

normally positive air pressure is the coolest running setup --> more fans blow into the case than ou of the case.  This also helps control dust with filters on the intake fans

Simple test to see if airflow is a contributing factor to the GPU heat:

1) Record the GPU temp in "C" by running GPU-Z & note the room temp --> Run a benchmark or other repeatable load to "work" the GPU

2) open side of case / remove side

3) point small fan at the open side

4) Run test a second time to see how much the temp of GPU changes

2020/08/10 13:55:04
belgradar
so with the door on the temp got to about 71ishc tried manually playing around with case fan speeds to see if more or less on some fans would help no change in temp with fan door off the temp changed to about 68c if I used a fan and pushed more air up into the card itself there the fan speed would drop to 67. used combustor to try and push the GPU. oddly the GPU fan speeds stayed at about 67% regardless of what happened. which is loud of F part of the reason I been dropping the target power and GPU temp on Precision X1 occicnaly depending on what's being rendered I get a thermal throttle when the GPU hits 79c but it kinda comes and goes thing depending on the game. and what's happening on screen. for the test I also let the fan speeds sit on auto on precision tools because normally depending not he game I manually set GPU fan speed to reduce windtunnel GPU fan sounds those I generally set between 32 and 46%
2020/08/12 12:09:32
belgradar
all this is nifty but there gotta be a better solution then thick thermal tape that's not present on other cards from evga. is there anything I can replace that with to make the smaller some copper as a spacer or a better custom cooling solutions that others have used to solve this rediculas heat build up that's pretty much only solution so far is down clocking the cards ram so it produces less heat

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account