2020/08/07 23:37:25
FSafranek
I installed a new CLC 280 a week ago to replace my old Corsair unit.  I noticed this afternoon that one of the two 140 fans wasn't turning.  Before I freak and decide it is defective is this normal?  When I moved the controls around for the fans in Flow Control it started spinning.  That makes me think it is a software issue or throttled back on purpose.  Any advice is appreciated.
2020/08/08 01:20:05
rjohnson11
For this question I recommend you contact EVGA tech support ASAP
2020/08/08 09:20:53
FSafranek
Thanks will do.  Was just curious if it was normal for one to idle so far down it stopped spinning and if anyone else had experienced this.
2020/08/08 09:47:05
bob16314
Sounds like maybe a faulty fan..If you have another fan, like from your old Corsair cooler, you could plug it into the fan Y-Splitter coming from the pump unit (which controls the fans) and see how it works..Or, plug the EVGA cooler fan into a motherboard fan header and see how it works.

If you RMA the cooler assembly to EVGA, you'll have to pay the shipping to them and they'll pay the return shipping back to you..Keep that in mind because if it's just a faulty fan, you might be able to buy new/better fans for what it would cost you for shipping..Maybe try using the fans from your Corsair cooler or other fans you might have laying around and see how it works?

The pump/fans should work fine without any software (Flow Control) intervention..You could uninstall Flow Control and see how it works.

Just a few things here.
2020/08/08 22:14:05
FSafranek
I attached one of the Corsair 120 fans I have around here and it worked perfectly.  Then put the EVGA 140 back on and same slow spin, if at all.  So that settles that.  I'll go buy a pair of 140s as replacements.  Pity to have to buy new fans.  Any recommendations?   Does Corsair still make SP fans?   I bought some 6 years ago so not sure what they are called now.  Any suggestion other than Corsair?
2020/08/08 23:10:27
bob16314
When choosing radiator fans, static pressure is more important than airflow..Noise is also a big factor..You want fans with a good cooling-to-noise ratio..Get static pressure fans with a low decible (dB) rating..Reviews show the stock CLC 280 fans peaking at about 44/45dB.

Maybe something in the Noctua (excellent fans) lineup..My H115i Pro uses Corsair ML140 fans which are decent..Make sure the connectors are correct, of course.

Static pressure vs. high airflow: Choosing the right fans for your PC

Noise Level Chart
2020/08/20 10:35:43
FSafranek
Thanks for the info on replacement fans.  In the meantime EVGA sent me a replacement.  I swapped out the defective fan and both are turning (spinning is a more descriptive word). 
They are a bit noisier that the SP120 Corsairs I had with the prior unit.  Not sure if that's the pump or the fans but will probably change them out in a few months. 
So thanks again for the info.

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account