2020/08/07 14:33:26
black_falcon120
sparetimepc
black_falcon120
sparetimepc
This kinda makes me think you might of had a different part of your system causing the problem even with the original power supply that was RMA'd  So if you use your power supply tester the power supply you have right now is working ok?

Possibly, but the original was definitely faulty, as it failed the psu tester.  The problem went from the cpu and case fans would spin up for 10 sec, to only the cpu fan would move perhaps 2mm.  

Just checked, the psu still works, but I can't see how one 20 pin connector is enough to cause literal flames to come out of back of my GPU's pcb. 

Yeah i meant i was just wondering if another component took out your power supply that had to be sent in, or was it a brand new one that was faulty from the get go? Yeah this part i circled does not look right to me. Those traces are leading directly to the PCIe slot.

Yes, that bit you circled appears to be a burn mark in person, which is what I was trying to point out but it turned out I described it badly.... Sorry for the slow reply, the forum didn't appear to like me. It is about an inch from where the fire happened. The PSU was bought 3 years ago, so I seriously don't know.

bob16314
It's not unheard of for those video cards (GTX 980Ti) to short out or even catch on fire/burn up..Try/get another card and everything will hopefully be fine..In the meantime just connect your monitor to the motherboard and use the  Integrated Processor Graphics the i7-6700 has.

I mean, the problem is how do I tell if it's safe?  I wanted an ampere GPU when they come out, and I don't want to spend £500 on a new GPU which goes up in smoke immediately. 
2020/08/07 15:37:28
sparetimepc
I believe if it was me i would be getting that motherboard out of there, those traces are for sure damaged and if thats your top PCIe slot on the board i wouldn't even think about tossing it i would just do it.
2020/08/07 16:01:28
black_falcon120
sparetimepc
I believe if it was me i would be getting that motherboard out of there, those traces are for sure damaged and if thats your top PCIe slot on the board i wouldn't even think about tossing it i would just do it.

True, if I upgrade the only potentially salvageable bit is the psu, the case is a classic pre-built, the cpu is outdated, the ram is 2133, and the GPU is well... 

I am unsure if keeping that psu is a good idea, as it could be responsible for frying my motherboard and GPU, the fact I could see proper flames  on the GPU PCB suggests it isn't worth the risk, and it did feel like a psu fault when it bricked for the second time.  Also, the symptoms were different from both PSUs, namely one passed testing, one didn't and the behaviour of the cpu fan, so I'm scared to reuse it, suggesting there might be a fault in it. No one here seems to be advocating keeping it (apart from Bob) and I suspect if it turns out to work and I've RMAed it for a second time, I'll have to pay list prices for the new one EVGA send. 

I was hoping that this psu would at least fix it or failing that delay enough for me to build a Ryzen 4k & ampere build, potentially limping along with an iGPU for a month, but the advice here seems to be that's a questionable idea. I'm not sure whether I can use the i7's iGPU, reuse the psu or wait for ampere... 
2020/08/07 16:08:39
sparetimepc
If your psu is working with the psu tester chances are its ok, but i guess at a minimum test would be unplug everything from the motherboard you can, just use 1 memory stick if possible, cpu, and igpu if you can and only one hard drive and see what happens. You don't really have much to loose now at this point.
2020/08/07 16:34:03
black_falcon120
sparetimepc
If your psu is working with the psu tester chances are its ok, but i guess at a minimum test would be unplug everything from the motherboard you can, just use 1 memory stick if possible, cpu, and igpu if you can and only one hard drive and see what happens. You don't really have much to loose now at this point.

What would I be looking for? it was dead before, why would it boot now? 

I'm on UK time, so I will have to reply in the morning... 
2020/08/08 01:18:26
sparetimepc
black_falcon120
sparetimepc

I'm sorry, i just meant by doing that it would be a way of making sure your power supply was working properly and you would know your cpu was good as well. But after seeing the link for what your computer is i think it might just be time for a bigger better upgraded pc all the way around and you now have the reasoning and excuse to do it. Build on my friend.
2020/08/08 02:41:10
black_falcon120
sparetimepc
black_falcon120
sparetimepc

I'm sorry, i just meant by doing that it would be a way of making sure your power supply was working properly and you would know your cpu was good as well. But after seeing the link for what your computer is i think it might just be time for a bigger better upgraded pc all the way around and you now have the reasoning and excuse to do it. Build on my friend.

True, but I was hoping to be able to use it until ampere and Vermeer were launched... 

btw, I tried this using a HDMI cable from my blu-ray player.  The screen took HDMI outputs from my work laptop through a USB C adaptor, but for some reason not from the HDMI sockets in my mother board, it appeared to work otherwise though, as in the peripherals RGB turned on, and the keyboard 'locks' all lit up when when the buttons were pressed.  Would buying a better HDMI cable solve the problem?  For reference I have a Samsung Odyssey G7 27" monitor, which can be temperamental about which inputs it accepts, but I don't have any other HDMI enabled monitors, as my other monitor (AOC 2460PG) doesn't have a HDMI port. 
2020/08/08 03:34:42
sparetimepc
black_falcon120
sparetimepc
black_falcon120
sparetimepc

True, but I was hoping to be able to use it until ampere and Vermeer were launched... 

btw, I tried this using a HDMI cable from my blu-ray player.  The screen took HDMI outputs from my work laptop through a USB C adaptor, but for some reason not from the HDMI sockets in my mother board, it appeared to work otherwise though, as in the peripherals RGB turned on, and the keyboard 'locks' all lit up when when the buttons were pressed.  Would buying a better HDMI cable solve the problem?  For reference I have a Samsung Odyssey G7 27" monitor, which can be temperamental about which inputs it accepts, but I don't have any other HDMI enabled monitors, as my other monitor (AOC 2460PG) doesn't have a HDMI port. 

Your saying the hdmi works on your blue ray player in your pc or an external blue ray player?  Have you gone into your bios and made sure you have enabled the igpu as the default since your not using a seperate gpu now?
2020/08/08 03:43:36
black_falcon120
sparetimepc
black_falcon120
sparetimepc
black_falcon120
sparetimepc

Your saying the hdmi works on your blue ray player in your pc or an external blue ray player?  Have you gone into your bios and made sure you have enabled the igpu as the default since your not using a seperate gpu now?

Sorry, I wasn't clear: 

• Blu ray player => TV - works I think, I haven't used it for a while
  • Work Laptop Usb C => Adapter => HDMI cable => monitor - Works
  • Desktop => Monitor - Doesn't work. though the screen does appear to go from black to black with a backlight when it is plugged in. 

How do I change my BIOS settings, and is that possible without a working monitor? 
2020/08/08 03:59:52
sparetimepc
Possibly, do you even see any kind of an image on the monitor when booting? Usually you would start tapping the delete button as soon as you push the power button and it would take you into the bios screen but some motherboards are different. I can't even find an actual manual for that motherboard anywhere but here is one of the motherboards itself on amazon.   https://www.amazon.com/HP-Thimphu-Intel-Motherboard-799926-001/dp/B01MR0VIY8

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account