2020/08/05 05:05:38
_2100_
This issue has popped up about 3 times over the past 6 weeks or so.  It usually happens very early into a gaming session, and only during gaming sessions.  I run my GPU for most of the day on [link=mailto:F@H]F@H[/link] and have not had this issue during that or anytime during my typical workday ( I work from home and all of the above is done on this system).

The issue is that for some reason the GPU stops working as an output device and my monitor enters sleep mode.  My motherboard does not support internal graphics so I am reliant on the GPU.  I am running a 2080 Super FTW3 Hybrid with Fractal Venturi fans on the rad in a push/pull config, mounted at the top front of the case.  When the issue occurs the fans ramp up to 100% as the output stops.

Pressing the reset button does not remedy the situation, rather once the reboot sequence finishes I get the D6 Post code for my motherboard, being the "no console output device are found code", and then the POST code display goes back to showing CPU temp.  A hard reset of the system fixes the issue.

I am planning on addressing possible issues this weekend, reseating the card, etc., but my knowledge is limited, this being my first build.  Is this an indication that there may be an issue with the card itself? Or possibly the riser cable (card is in vertical mount)? Or some other issue?  Do I need to contact customer service?

Thanks in advance for any/all replies.

Specs:
Intel I7-9700K [link=mailto:OC@5.0]OC@5.0[/link]
EVGA FTW z390
EVGA 2080S FTW3 Hybrid (+60/+600)
CLC 280 top mount
G5 750W psu
32GB Corsair LPX 3200
Fractal riser cable
XPG sx8100 boot drive (1TB)
XPG sx8100 game drive (2TB)
2020/08/05 05:46:55
_2100_
That's definitely the type of resource I was looking for.  Thanks.

Seems the current forum issues are in play, the link to the forum article did not work, just opened up a tab with the lovely cone and helmet error message, had to search it out using keywords in a new tab.  Will be spending my Sat morning running through that list.
2020/08/05 05:48:12
aka_STEVE_b
better link  - https://www.windowscentral.com/how-fix-black-screen-problems-windows-10#page1

..and you should try different cables & /or output ports on the card to see if anything changes.
..if you had another card to test , or a different system to swap card into is also optimal...
...and a different monitor to test is also great way to check ...

many things to do - good luck .
2020/08/05 12:54:35
Sajin
Fans spinning up to max speed on the gpu means there is a power issue occurring, or the card shut itself down from overheating. If reseating the card to the motherboard, trying the card in another pci-e slot, or trying to power the card with a different set of pci-e power cables doesn’t fix the issue then there is something wrong with the card or psu.
2020/08/07 05:15:11
_2100_
Sajin
Fans spinning up to max speed on the gpu means there is a power issue occurring, or the card shut itself down from overheating. If reseating the card to the motherboard, trying the card in another pci-e slot, or trying to power the card with a different set of pci-e power cables doesn’t fix the issue then there is something wrong with the card or psu.

I don't think it is a temp issue, the card peaks out a 63c when hit with a stress test.  

In regards to power, I did not mention that I do have a Powerlink situated between the cables and the card.  

In any case, I will tinker this weekend and then it is just a waiting game to see if the issue occurs again.
2020/08/07 07:11:49
GTXJackBauer
_2100_
Sajin

I don't think it is a temp issue, the card peaks out a 63c when hit with a stress test.  

In regards to power, I did not mention that I do have a Powerlink situated between the cables and the card.  

In any case, I will tinker this weekend and then it is just a waiting game to see if the issue occurs again.

What kind of stress test?  1080p? 4K?  Just because it hits 63c in a stress test doesn't mean it's being pushed to it's max and not overheating in other areas.  It's always best to test it in the same environment that gave you those issues and record those temps prior to crashing or what have you.

Also, disconnect the powerlink to rule things out.
2020/08/07 07:55:55
_2100_
GTXJackBauer
_2100_
Sajin

What kind of stress test?  1080p? 4K?  Just because it hits 63c in a stress test doesn't mean it's being pushed to it's max and not overheating in other areas.  It's always best to test it in the same environment that gave you those issues and record those temps prior to crashing or what have you.

Also, disconnect the powerlink to rule things out.

MSI Kombustor at 3440x1440 resolution

Similar temps in Time Spy, Superposition.

The issue has popped up 3 times, each in a different game.  The latest being Witcher 3 after continuing my game.  Once in Watch Dogs 2 at the point where you wake up after the intro scene and have to load up the map app.  And I don't remember what game it was the first time, but want to say GTA V.
2020/08/07 08:15:53
Sajin
_2100_ 

I’ve seen the powerlink cause problems before, so that could be the issue.

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account