2020/08/04 11:23:43
ybashb
So I picked up a my 2060 a couple months ago new, and its been working flawlessly since. However, just recently I've noticed that one of the fans (the one that's supposed to be stopped at idle) keeps clicking on and off frequently and it's rpms also fluctuate heavily when its on. Idle and load temps haven't changed and are good, but I'm not sure why its doing this. I saw a post where someone had the same problem after a period of it working normally and it was because his thermal paste wasn't properly applied, but i just wanted to ask here before doing any disassembly. Only solution I've found is to set a custom fan curve to a minimum of 40% so the fan doesn't turn off, but even then it just constantly ramps up and down. Any help would be appreciated.
2020/08/04 18:21:38
Sajin
Does setting a static fan speed prevent the ramping?
2020/08/04 20:41:25
ybashb
No, it doesn't.
Edit: Yes, it does.
2020/08/04 20:43:04
Sajin
Time to contact evga support to see what they have to say about it.
2020/08/04 20:59:08
ybashb
Well since it doesn't ramp when set to a static speed I'm thinking the problem has something to do with thermals. Either the chip and fan are miscommunicating or more likely the thermal paste isn't properly applied like the other person with the same problem. Went ahead and bought a tube of MX4, will update in 2 days after the repaste.
2020/08/05 05:33:30
ty_ger07
ybashb
Only solution I've found is to set a custom fan curve to a minimum of 40% so the fan doesn't turn off, but even then it just constantly ramps up and down.

Sajin
Does setting a static fan speed prevent the ramping?

ybashb
No, it doesn't.

ybashb
Well since it doesn't ramp when set to a static speed I'm thinking the problem has something to do with thermals.

What?! You need to get your story straight.
2020/08/05 10:12:55
ybashb
Hm? You seem to misunderstand me. When I set a custom CURVE that starts at 40% and then progressively curves upwards starting at a latter temperature like 60c, it ramps up and down. However, when I set a STATIC speed that has no motion up or down, the fan stays at that static speed as it is supposed to. That's why I think the issue is temperature related, because the only reason I can think of for it ramping up and down with a CURVE is that it thinks the gpu is hotter than what it actually is, ramps up according to the curve, then goes back down because it thinks its normal. Repeated. This would also explain the turning off and on with the default curve - it turns on because it thinks it's hot then turns off because it thinks it's not.
2020/08/05 10:47:34
ty_ger07
Sajin asked you directly, and your answer to him was that a static speed does not stop it from ramping. But whatever. Maybe there were too many double-negatives.

I agree that you should replace the thermal paste. NVIDIA GPUs have a number (proprietary and not known) of thermal sensors inside the core, and the value reported to you is the average. It is very plausible that an air pocket in the thermal.paste is causing the ramping issue even though it is not apparent to you that one thermal sensor is reading significantly higher than the others. It has happened before.
2020/08/05 11:24:17
ybashb
Oh you're right it looks like I mixed up what he was asking me. I meant to say the static speed DOES prevent the ramping. Hoping it is just a thermal paste problem.

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account