2020/07/27 09:08:06
Turin
Hello,

After using like a 3rd (or 4th, I don't remember) EVGA GPU it came up to the situation that something failed, this time it's minor, just a LED Lighting on a card. After contacting support and some troubleshooting I've received an information that I should place RMA, which I did but also I've looked for recent opinions on RMA process in EVGA. It looks like it's possible that I'd get refurb card which might not work at all after shipping back to me or die within couple of days. I can not spare any additional time besides the standard 1-2weeks using trash iGPU because I use my PC for work and this makes simulations (without CUDA acceleration) insanely time consuming .

So my question(s), is it possible to just send me a replacement heatsink (or LED module alone, of course I can send back faulty heatsink with LED module)? I can change it myself without any problems. Alternatively could you please make absolutely sure that the exchange card is going to be 100% operational?

Thanks in advance
Jacob

@Edit
EVGA RMA ID: 1108934
RMA # 5411200727595937
2020/07/27 10:45:05
davevt31
Or you may get a perfectly working replacement like most people do.  You only see posts in the forums from people that have issues, those that everything is fine don't make a thread to state everything worked out just right.
2020/07/27 11:02:04
Turin
davevt31
Or you may get a perfectly working replacement like most people do.  You only see posts in the forums from people that have issues, those that everything is fine don't make a thread to state everything worked out just right.

Yes, of course you're right ;) I'm just worried as this is my first RMA to EVGA and I use PC to make for living. I guess I'll proceed with RMA hoping that it'll go smoothly. 
2020/07/27 12:06:11
EVGATech_AdamB
Hello Turin! Unfortunately, we are not able to send only a replacement heatsink by itself. All heatsinks and PCB's are kept in a 1:1 ratio and as part of our testing, we test every product as a complete product to ensure it is performing correctly before it gets shipped out to a customer. I apologize for any inconvenience.
2020/07/27 12:27:48
Turin
EVGATech_AdamB
Hello Turin! Unfortunately, we are not able to send only a replacement heatsink by itself. All heatsinks and PCB's are kept in a 1:1 ratio and as part of our testing, we test every product as a complete product to ensure it is performing correctly before it gets shipped out to a customer. I apologize for any inconvenience.

Ok, understood. Thanks for clarification. I'll prepare card and ship it by the end of this week, if something goes wrong with process I'll update here (hopefully never ;) ).

Have a good afternoon
Jacob
2020/07/27 12:38:00
bob16314
Be sure to read the Shipping Guidelines to ensure timely processing and prevent any delays, hopefully.
2020/08/11 09:39:22
Turin
Hello,

The whole RMA process went really smoothly and I've already got a replacement (GTX 1660 SC ULTRA), which is great. Another good information is that this card seems to be about ~10-20% faster in cuda accelerated simulations, the downside is the noise. Oh my goodnes it's so freaking LOUD (I've measured 48dB under load with fans peaking at 2700rpm) that I have to wear noise cancelling headset when GPU is under load. My previous 1060 FTW+ under load was about 40-41dB (7-8dB in logaritmic scale is HUGE). 

Great support team, smooth RMA, but the replacement card... Is there any way for making this GPU cooler at least a bit quieter? 
2020/08/11 10:19:14
bob16314
What's the GPU temp under load?

Sometimes the thermal paste doesn't get applied properly and will cause excessive fan noise, been known to happen before..The thermal paste must cover all areas of the chip..You can take it apart and see..Then you'll need to apply new paste..I would recommend the new Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut Extreme or the original Kryonaut as conventional pastes.

Other than that, I supposed you'd need to use EVGA Precision X1 to balance temps and noise to your liking..Poor case ventilation and/or high ambient may be causing elevated temps/fan noise too, take off the side panel and see if it matters much.
2020/08/11 10:45:02
Turin
Hello,

GPU under load reaches 71-72deg. C and the whole system is in Fractal Desing Node 304 case (GPU is facing directly nothing but dust filter on the left side of the case). I've got a 140mm and a pair of 92mm fans inside to exhaust and intake air repectively. I can repaste it for sure (I don't have Kryonaut, but I've got beQuiet DC1 thermal compound) but checking the complains here on forum and the cooler design videos on yt... I don't think it'll help much. I don't wonder anymore why it's so loud :( 

As it goes for EVGA Precission, I've set a custom curve (temps are a bit higher but fans are at least at 2000rpm, not 2700rpm).

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account