2020/07/26 13:16:00
mhijazi
Hello,

I had a setup with 2x 1080 Ti and a WD SN750 Black with heatsink installed in the lower m2 slot (PM2). I recently installed another M.2 of the same type in the upper slot (PM1). Both disks are showing fine with no problems from windows and from SSD dashboard. Both are at PCIe 3 x4 as per the SSD dashboard. However when I go into the BIOS, in the graphical representation of the PCIe lanes, I see two x8 for the GPUs, and one x4 for one SSD. but the next slot , Is just highlighted and not showing the speed. I can see the drive information from NVMe information with no issues.

Just wondering if this is a bug or something is not right in my settings. Disks are seen from BIOS and from Windows. Just the PCIe lane is just highlighted but no speed is detected.
2020/07/27 02:20:10
coolmistry
mhijazi
Hello,

I had a setup with 2x 1080 Ti and a WD SN750 Black with heatsink installed in the lower m2 slot (PM2). I recently installed another M.2 of the same type in the upper slot (PM1). Both disks are showing fine with no problems from windows and from SSD dashboard. Both are at PCIe 3 x4 as per the SSD dashboard. However when I go into the BIOS, in the graphical representation of the PCIe lanes, I see two x8 for the GPUs, and one x4 for one SSD. but the next slot , Is just highlighted and not showing the speed. I can see the drive information from NVMe information with no issues.

Just wondering if this is a bug or something is not right in my settings. Disks are seen from BIOS and from Windows. Just the PCIe lane is just highlighted but no speed is detected.

Are you using hardware on x4 PCIe slot?  If you enable x4 it will disable U.2 port PU1 and for PM2 will disable PCIe slot PE3. Please see in your Z30 Dark Manual book pages 27 

I don't see you are using x4 PCIe slot e.g soundcard or WIFI M.2? If this slot is empty then do not need this change to x4! 

Attached Image(s)

2020/07/27 04:47:13
mhijazi
Hello. Thanks for your reply. No I am not using x4 PCIe slot. I only have 2x 1080 Tis which are installed in the PE 1 & PE 2 and 2 NVMe SSDs on PM1 and PM2.
2020/07/27 04:51:09
coolmistry
mhijazi
Hello. Thanks for your reply. No I am not using x4 PCIe slot. I only have 2x 1080 Tis which are installed in the PE 1 & PE 2 and 2 NVMe SSDs on PM1 and PM2.

Then do not need to worry X4 PCIe slot. Leave this alone but if you future buying soundcard that support x4 then you can change to X4. So you have empty slot.  
2020/07/27 05:03:44
mhijazi
Thanks. Just to show what I meant, I will attach a couple of photos. I tried to take screenshots from BIOS but for some reason it was complaining about unable to create files.

So if you see on the top right corner, there two x8 , and one x4. and the fourth one is just highlighted without showing any information. just wondering why. I also tried to remove one card and one SSD, and keep only one 1080 Ti on PE1 and one Nvme on PM1, it only showed the GPU speed and the remaining 3 were just highlighted.

Attached Image(s)

2020/07/27 05:20:18
coolmistry
Do both M.2 working in Windows? They both support x4 automatic I support so!! 
2020/07/27 05:25:21
coolmistry
I have my Samsung Magic here and I have check my two M.2 that they both support X4! Have you try WD Software which I am not sure!

Attached Image(s)

2020/07/27 05:34:55
mhijazi
Yes from WD SSD Dashboard I see both drives at PCIe 3.0 X4.

Attached Image(s)

2020/07/27 05:38:21
coolmistry
mhijazi
Yes from WD SSD Dashboard I see both drives at PCIe 3.0 X4.

Ah I got it 

That strange... so I have check on my it just 2 Graphics card show X8 and nothing for X4 mmmmm
Have you try reset your BIOS setting back default and try again setup your current setting!

Attached Image(s)

2020/07/27 05:39:29
mhijazi
coolmistry

Ah I got it 
That strange... so I have check on my it just 2 Graphics card show X8 and nothing for X4 mmmmm
Have you try reset your BIOS setting back default and try again setup your current setting!

Yup. Tried to reset to default, same thing.

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account