2020/09/15 13:17:53
ty_ger07
flyingtoaster85
ty_ger07
flyingtoaster85

Not sure what you mean but ARM is British, not European.

What is your point?  Are you serious?  That is irrelevant! I am saying that the EU is very concerned about level playing fields and consumer protections, and what I am saying is completely irrespective of Arm's origins.  I am hoping that the EU blocks FUTURE Arm sales due to stiff EU anti-competitive laws so that a new competitor can rise from the ashes to fill the void that Arm used to fill before NVIDIA destroyed Arm's identity and purpose.

Europe has a tremendous cottage industry that nobody appreciates more than me. Cuckoo clocks, bongs, beer, wine, lederhosen. But when it comes to tech, they need to innovate like China, Korea, Taiwan, Singapore, Japan, UK, US.

Again, WHAT?!!?!?  Are you serious?  Are you daft?  I am talking about the maker space! You know.w.w..w.w..w  The products WHICH HAVE BEEN MADE WITH ARM SOCs.  Woww...
It's not about Europe or Britain or Taiwan or Korea or the USA or anything like that.  It is about ARM being a very good low-budget SOC used by makers to create incredibly innovative devices which will almost certainly no longer exist once NVIDIA has control of ARM.

It's almost as if you know absolutely nothing about Arm and are solely interested in an extra 5% profit.

Idk if you understand or accept how trade or publicly traded companies work. If ARM was not so concerned with profit, why didn’t the CEO hold 51% of the company’s shares? When more innovative publicly traded companies absorb less innovative ones, we all win.

I understand how it works. Money drives everything.
I merely said that it is unfortunate and I hope that something makes it fall through, or enough of it is blocked somewhere to help competition grow.

No, we don't all win. The people making the money win. The people who used to get cheap chips and then all of the sudden no longer have access to those cheap chips definitely lose.
2020/09/15 14:12:27
flyingtoaster85
How do you know Nvidia won’t allow ARM as a subsidiary to continue to supply low cost embedded solutions to other companies? They just invested $40 billion in ARM. This is good. You act like ARM is some mom and pop shop, but they are a semiconductor company owned by a Japanese bank. Now they will be owned by a California semiconductor company. Everyone wins.
2020/09/15 14:26:42
ty_ger07
flyingtoaster85
How do you know Nvidia won’t allow ARM as a subsidiary to continue to supply low cost embedded solutions to other companies?

I don't, but I think that the IP is way more important to NVIDIA than Arm's past product line.  I expect NVIDIA to gut and axe a lot of the past product line and use the IP to produce new expensive products.  Time will tell.  
2020/09/15 23:12:54
atfrico
ty_ger07
flyingtoaster85
How do you know Nvidia won’t allow ARM as a subsidiary to continue to supply low cost embedded solutions to other companies?

I don't, but I think that the IP is way more important to NVIDIA than Arm's past product line.  I expect NVIDIA to gut and axe a lot of the past product line and use the IP to produce new expensive products.  Time will tell.  

+1 acquire the thread to eliminate competition.
2020/09/16 01:44:50
rjohnson11
ty_ger07
flyingtoaster85

I don't expect ARM to axe anything. What I see is NVIDIA being directly involved with establishing their GPU knowledge to build industry leading ARM CPUs for the enterprise (maybe with NVIDIA graphics). 
2020/09/16 08:08:55
flyingtoaster85
rjohnson11
ty_ger07
flyingtoaster85

I don't expect ARM to axe anything. What I see is NVIDIA being directly involved with establishing their GPU knowledge to build industry leading ARM CPUs for the enterprise (maybe with NVIDIA graphics). 

Exactly. Only a conspiracy theorist would believe they would spend $40 billion on a company to axe it.
2020/09/16 09:39:26
ty_ger07
flyingtoaster85
rjohnson11
ty_ger07
flyingtoaster85

Exactly. Only a conspiracy theorist would believe they would spend $40 billion on a company to axe it.

Not axe the company.  Axe the existing inexpensive product line.

Remember when you said this?
flyingtoaster85
Once Nvidia starts adding SoCs to their boards, graphics cards, CPUs, RAM and motherboards will cease to exist as you know them. The Nvidia board will be the entire computer. AMD will do the same thing, but be the bargain option as usual. Think of the performance potential. They won’t even be called PCs any more, they’ll be called Nvidias. Think of the shareholders.

That's what I am afraid of.  Progress is good, but at what cost?  Can you see NVIDIA still maintaining an inexpensive Arm product line for hobbyists and a cottage industry once it has a much larger, expensive, and more profitable product line?  I can't.
2020/09/16 11:32:33
flyingtoaster85
ty_ger07
flyingtoaster85
rjohnson11
ty_ger07
flyingtoaster85

Not axe the company.  Axe the existing inexpensive product line.

Remember when you said this?
flyingtoaster85
Once Nvidia starts adding SoCs to their boards, graphics cards, CPUs, RAM and motherboards will cease to exist as you know them. The Nvidia board will be the entire computer. AMD will do the same thing, but be the bargain option as usual. Think of the performance potential. They won’t even be called PCs any more, they’ll be called Nvidias. Think of the shareholders.

That's what I am afraid of.  Progress is good, but at what cost?  Can you see NVIDIA still maintaining an inexpensive Arm product line for hobbyists and a cottage industry once it has a much larger, expensive, and more profitable product line?  I can't.

I lime the idea of assembling a hobby PC. I built my first one when I was 13 with a Cyrix MII and Voodoo 3 2000. Back then high end GPUs were under $200. However, GPUs are getting so advanced that the idea of plugging a $1500 card into a $300 motherboard is kind of outdated and ridiculous. There is too much complexity and too many bottlenecks. Nvidia is taking a step toward simplifying the gaming PC and embedding everything onto one PCB. The end result will be similar to today’s consoles and laptops. Gaming PCs will be about the size of an ITX motherboard and will be covered in something that resembles a GPU heatsink.
2020/09/16 11:38:34
ty_ger07
Your point?
2020/09/16 12:05:56
flyingtoaster85
ty_ger07
Your point?

By hobby industry do you mean Rasberry Pi? As long as Broadcomm gets ARM socs, I don’t see why that would be affected.

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account