2020/07/23 02:38:30
Brad_Hawthorne
My guess Apple would like to throw a wrench into that to sabotage that option. Apple uses ARM in everything shortly and doesn't play well with Nvidia.
2020/07/23 09:45:15
Hoggle
I think it could also be because of self driving cars and the chips that will be needed to power them. Automobiles getting more smarts built into them clearly is a market that will take off and I could see NVIDIA's work in 3d computer graphics being of interest in that market.
2020/07/23 13:54:55
Cool GTX
interesting move if Nvidia acquires them

curious if other bidders materialize & drive the price to a point that the deal does not make sense to Nvidia
2020/07/23 15:37:49
MasterMiner
random_matt
MasterMiner
I doubt the EU would allow that. Nor China.

Believe it or not - both have the power to stop that from happening.

Blockage will be done by the UK Government if needed, China has zero chance and EU can do jack. 

Both can reject the deal and render it lawless in their jurisdiction. Mergers and acquisitions must get EU and China agreements all the time or be shut out of the markets and lose access to WTO courts.

America is in for a rude wakeup call. People truly don’t understand how the global system of trade actually works.
2020/07/23 19:51:18
MadmanRB
rjohnson11

I don't see any type of anti-competitive issues with such an acquisition

Perhaps but ARM is also a lisense and nvidia is super greedy
2020/07/24 13:46:58
kougar
NVIDIA is one of the few companies that only buys up stuff when it fits into their narrow focus. They won't buy ARM unless they have a very good reason to do so. Apple has more of a reason to do so, but considering they design their own smartphone SoCs I don't see them buying ARM either. Softbank just wants to cash out because they know there will be red on their balance sheets they will need the cash to cover. 
2020/07/25 02:40:33
Hoggle
kougar
NVIDIA is one of the few companies that only buys up stuff when it fits into their narrow focus. They won't buy ARM unless they have a very good reason to do so. Apple has more of a reason to do so, but considering they design their own smartphone SoCs I don't see them buying ARM either. Softbank just wants to cash out because they know there will be red on their balance sheets they will need the cash to cover. 

They have made some purchases that really didn't seem like the focus like buying PhysX. Of course at the time they thought it was going to be widely used.
2020/07/26 01:55:28
Brad_Hawthorne
ARm is a patent portfolio. Whoever buys them are buying them for patent rights and licensing profits.
2020/07/26 07:37:30
MasterMiner
Brad_Hawthorne
ARm is a patent portfolio. Whoever buys them are buying them for patent rights and licensing profits.

That’s what makes them so difficult to acquire. If they move forward without the buy in of the EU or China - or even worse over explicit objections - they will, de facto, lose their ip rights in those jurisdictions.
2020/07/26 12:29:42
kougar
Hoggle
They have made some purchases that really didn't seem like the focus like buying PhysX. Of course at the time they thought it was going to be widely used.

True, but it's the exception rather than the rule. Look at Intel, they spend billions every year on acquisitions and the majority of it goes nowhere. Some years it's up to $20B if you add all the acquisitions together. For example Omni-path... Intel poleaxed its omni-connector Xeons this year, after first introducing them in 2015. Nevermind $15.3 billion for MobilEye in 2017, which has better odds of going bust like all the other market buy-ins Intel has tried so far. Don't forget that cool $7.68 billion for McAfee back in 2010, or a mobile app Moovit for $900m... Intel soaks up an average three companies every single year and the total is always in the billions range. 

Meanwhile, NVIDIA simply bought Mellanox and used it to deliver the DGX A100 systems today. 

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account