2020/07/22 17:44:30
Xavier Zepherious

oh really then every phone and tablet will primarily be Nvidia

licensing thru Nvidia will be pricy and tough
3rd largest semiconductor company going on to be even bigger????

https://wccftech.com/arm-the-british-chip-designer-may-be-acquired-by-nvidia/

ARM, the British silicon ship designer backed by SoftBank, has long been the subject of speculative interest. Today, that interest has reached a fever pitch amid reports that NVIDIA (NASDAQ:NVDA 417.55 1.07%)  is exploring the possibility of acquiring the UK-based chip designer.
According to the reporting by Bloomberg, NVIDIA has approached SoftBank, ARM’s parent company, regarding a possible takeover deal. Nonetheless, as the talks are currently in a preliminary stage, other bidders might emerge as well.

If ARM were to be purchased, it would constitute one of the chip industry’s largest acquisitions. However, any potential deal will not be a walk in the park. Along with the usual hurdles associated with a deal of such magnitude, regulatory glare may prove to be a stumbling block. Finally, ARM’s existing customers may try to block the acquisition or demand assurances regarding equal access to ARM’s technology.

Moreover, on the 4th of May, NVIDIA declared that it was buying the open networking software company, Cumulus Networks, for an undisclosed amount. NVIDIA shares have risen by around 76 percent in 2020, allowing the company to briefly eclipse Intel’s market cap a few weeks back. The single most powerful tailwind for NVIDIA shares is the euphoria surrounding the anticipated release of the latest iteration of gaming consoles later this year. Analysts expect this development to unleash a GPU upgrade supercycle. It is also benefiting from the booming demand for data centers and AI applications.

2020/07/22 17:53:20
Sajin
Wow. Nvidia must have a lot of dough put back.
2020/07/22 18:26:12
MasterMiner
I doubt the EU would allow that. Nor China.

Believe it or not - both have the power to stop that from happening.
2020/07/22 18:48:08
Xavier Zepherious
other Nvidia news

Overclocking.com: August

According to Overclocking.com, NVIDIA would launch GeForce RTX 30 series in August. It would be a limited quantity launch with a focus on the Founders Edition model first. Custom graphics cards based on Ampere architecture would arrive in September. The site claims that they double-sourced this information. We have reached out to the author of the story for more information and based on what we were told, it does seem credible.

ITHome, Igor’s Lab, MLID: September

Based on previous reports, NVIDIA was rumored to unveil its GeForce RTX 30 Series graphics cards in September. The Chinese website ITHome even provided a possible launch date of September 17th. We were unable to confirm this information, but we too heard September as possible announcement month for the series. The YouTuber Moore’s Law Is Dead is also claiming that the GeForce RTX 30 series would launch in September.
It is also worth reminding that Igor’s Lab also pointed at a possible mass production start in August, with media events and reviews expected in September. This was based on a long-established production scheduled for GeForce graphics cards.

2020/07/22 22:55:35
rjohnson11
Since NVIDIA wants to expand more into the enterprise environment this acquisition makes sense. 
2020/07/22 22:59:19
Z.PricyWolf
wccftech
Finally, ARM’s existing customers may try to block the acquisition or demand assurances regarding equal access to ARM’s technology.

- see also -

TSMC Announces Intention to Build and Operate an Advanced Semiconductor Fab in the United States 2020/05/15
www.tsmc.com/tsmcdotcom/PRListingNewsArchivesAction.do?action=detail&newsid=THGOANPGTH&language=E

twitter@Fukadamoe
pbs.twimg.com/media/ELdi7PJVAAA29Ih?format=png TSMC, PANASONIC ( ARM, SHARP )
pbs.twimg.com/media/EV_UoeqUwAAt_zr?format=jpg Face-Map. non-English

2020/07/22 23:36:45
random_matt
MasterMiner
I doubt the EU would allow that. Nor China.

Believe it or not - both have the power to stop that from happening.

Blockage will be done by the UK Government if needed, China has zero chance and EU can do jack. 
2020/07/23 00:16:20
Xavier Zepherious
i can see samsung and Nvidia striking a deal on ARM and fab pricing if this goes thru

heaven knows you could see Nvidia merging with Samsung No 2 and Nvidia 3 merging to becoming top semiconductor manufacturer
if Nvidia keeps on making huge $$$ and gains this could happen

then you get Nvidia shield in Nvidia TV's and Nvidia monitors and Nvidia having their own FAB
their own ram and SSD's 

oh man  that could be ominous
2020/07/23 01:28:32
knightsilver
With all the BS with Channa and the US this passed year, I too could see the EU and China put a stop to Nvidia. If Nvidia is able to buy ARM, were all screwed......
2020/07/23 01:42:03
rjohnson11
knightsilver
With all the BS with Channa and the US this passed year, I too could see the EU and China put a stop to Nvidia. If Nvidia is able to buy ARM, were all screwed......

I don't see any type of anti-competitive issues with such an acquisition

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account