2020/07/15 16:05:45
lbts1
Ah success. I got into the Sony's settings to check out the firmware version and came across an External HDMI section. I turned off High Quality HDMI and switched over to Standard HDMI. That worked!

The High Quality HDMI referred to 4k 60P, 4:2:0 10 bit, 4:4:4, and 4:4:2.

Thanks to all of you for all the help, and special thanks to Sajin for getting me to look at the TV side as the problem.
2020/07/15 16:42:46
arestavo
👍👍
2020/07/15 16:47:21
Sajin
👍
2020/07/15 18:17:11
EVGATech_DanielM
This is why our community is the best. 
2020/07/15 20:40:48
lbts1
I'm impressed. I co-founded the St. Louis IBM PC Users Group way back in 1982 specifically so people could help each other negotiate this new enlightenment called a PC, and I'm glad (and rewarded) that spirit of helpfulness continues to this day in places like this.

I thought my question would sit out here waiting for a reply, as many have in the past. Instead multiple people immediately jumped in and made earnest efforts to help. Yeah, I'm very impressed and grateful; this community is the best!

2020/07/16 04:49:29
cmattax
lbts1
I'm impressed. I co-founded the St. Louis IBM PC Users Group way back in 1982 specifically so people could help each other negotiate this new enlightenment called a PC, and I'm glad (and rewarded) that spirit of helpfulness continues to this day in places like this.

I thought my question would sit out here waiting for a reply, as many have in the past. Instead multiple people immediately jumped in and made earnest efforts to help. Yeah, I'm very impressed and grateful; this community is the best!

Yes, this place is quite unique in the world of technology support and EVGA sells a lot of hardware because of it.  I never even consider other manufacturers anymore when new technology comes out but I might if these forums ever start to slip.

But as to your problem, I also have a Sony 55 inch and I had a similar problem.  I had to buy a higher quality HDMI cable to be able to use the High Quality setting on my TV.  It has been a while since I did it so I don't have a link for you but that could help you to use the HQ settings.  I will say that, on my set anyway, the difference is noticeable but not dramatic when going from Standard to HQ.  Most video games look about the same and the latency is better on Standard.
2020/07/16 16:52:21
lbts1
cmattax, I think you're right on the mark. Once I got this working with the standard setting I recalled seeing something about updated HDMI cables. I was just going to leave it be, my use being mainly for stock charts, but your mention that "the difference was noticeable" is enough for me to make the cheap investment in a new cable. Thank you for that. 

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account