2020/07/08 19:50:05
rzande1
Hi everyone. This is driving me crazy. I have the i9 10900k which has the internal gpu. I am trying to get my system to use my EVGA gpu but for whatever reason it will only show a picture from the DP port on the motherboard. Anyone have any ideas? I am using my old EVGA classified gtx590 which (while it is pci 2.0) be compatible with the pci 3.0 slot. I was waiting for the new Nvidia 3000 series to hit before upgrading. Does anyone have any ideas?
2020/07/09 04:25:39
Sajin
Try disabling the igpu within the bios of your motherboard, and set the primary graphics to pci-e.
2020/07/09 14:49:48
rzande1
Thanks so much. That was the issue but of course also uncovered that my GPU has failed too.
2020/07/09 15:58:24
Sajin
No problem.
2020/07/15 10:11:35
Kylearan
rzande1
Hi everyone. This is driving me crazy. I have the i9 10900k which has the internal gpu. I am trying to get my system to use my EVGA gpu but for whatever reason it will only show a picture from the DP port on the motherboard. Anyone have any ideas? I am using my old EVGA classified gtx590 which (while it is pci 2.0) be compatible with the pci 3.0 slot. I was waiting for the new Nvidia 3000 series to hit before upgrading. Does anyone have any ideas?

rzande1
Thanks so much. That was the issue but of course also uncovered that my GPU has failed too.

How do you know that the GPU failed?
It is not compatible with Z490.  
Z490 requires a GPU with a UEFI compatible BIOS.  I don't think GPUs from 2011 had those.  Maybe setting the BIOS to legacy mode might work?
2020/07/16 08:20:44
TiN_EE
It's not much about GPU itself, but rather use of PCIe x16 to dual PCIe x8 bridge that GTX590 has. If that bridge is not initialized correctly then PCIe host will not even see the GPUs behind it.
Rather special case here, so direct connected old GPUs still should work fine in modern boards.
2020/07/16 08:32:04
rzande1
Hi there

I was just using a single GPU so I didn’t have any SLI bridge setup. I was able to change things so that the the GPU was the display provider and it showed the picture during the bios boot. The odd thing is that it basically gave me the same issue as on my old build. The bios would display fine but once the system tries to start loading windows it all goes wrong. On my old system and new system, it would continually fail to load windows, reboot itself, and go into the windows didn’t start right repair screen. Strange thing is that it did this same thing on my old computer which was running the same hardware for 10 years without an issue. The moment I pulled the GPU out (something I couldn’t do in my old setup since my new processor has built in intel graphics) and reset it back to the processor intel graphics also being available as the GPU, windows boots fine. Even before when i initially built this pc and it had the GPU attached but not driving it, the GPU gave windows issues with drivers and giving a failure message when I tried to install the chipset software which all went away when I pulled the GPU out. As far as I can tell, the GPU is somehow stopping windows from loading in two systems which leads me to believe it has failed.
2020/07/16 09:55:13
TiN_EE
590 is not a single GPU, it's two cards in SLI on one PCB.
2020/07/16 13:22:51
rzande1
Ok maybe we are talking in circles here. I have one physical gtx590 Evga classified card. It is the single card that I have been using for the past 10 years or so. I don’t have two physical cards. There might be multiple processors within that single card but still just one card.
2020/07/17 23:06:10
Enigmas
Hello,
This may help you out if you're still having issues. I recently purchased the Z490 FTW Mobo with i9 - 10900k CPU and had issued with my EVGA 1070 FTW GPU. Turns out you need to change your CSM/UEFI settings to legacy for PCI. To accomplish this follow this guide:

-Remove any and all GPU's
-Plug in DP/HDMI cord directly into the MOBO
-Enter BIOS
-Select 'Boot' tab on the top
-Select 'CSM Configuration' near the bottom
-Under 'PCI Devices' Select 'Legacy'
-Install and plug in DP/HDMI cord(s) into the GPU(s)
-Enjoy

Hope this helps!

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account