2020/06/23 13:35:39
AFreakingCookie
so let me get this straight. Evga wants me to send back my defective power supply in all sorts of protective packaging, 2 inch thick foam to protect it, and everything. But evga sends my new power supply in a box that is too big for it, and the power supply is just in a bubble wrap bag? Are you serious? As if anything could get any worse, the issue I had with my previous power supply is an issue that I am STILL having. What am I supposed to do now? Do all evga power supplies make a loud buzz when the gpu is under load?
2020/06/23 14:12:42
Sajin
You sure the noise is coming from the psu? Coil whine is harmless btw.
2020/06/23 14:45:05
AFreakingCookie
Yes.
2020/06/23 23:58:54
dw1975
@AFreakingCookie - I just created an account on the forums here as I am having the same issues with my SuperNova G3 750W. When the gpu is idling the psu is nice and quiet and barely audible but as soon as the gpu revs up the G3 starts squealing like a pig. I only noticed it a couple of months ago (psu is about 18 months old) and at first I blamed the gpu (1080Ti) and since I was planning on upgrading it this fall when the new gen releases I was prepared to live with the noise for a few months. The noise gradually started getting worse so I did some digging into the computer recently and the squealing is definitely coming from the psu. I'm just trying to decide if I want to wait 6-8 weeks for an rma.
2020/06/24 00:30:19
AFreakingCookie
Wow. This is the exact scenario I was in. I hate the psu for about 18 months as well, and I too though tit was the gpu at first. I just ended up reading it, but I would honestly wait. If you do cross ship, it'll take about a week or less. If you do the standard, it probably takes up to 2 or 3 weeks. Plus, as I said, when I got the psu back, the attention to the packaging was SO BAD. It's like they didn't care if it would brake or not. And the issue was still there. It might just be evga psu'? But I've only ever built with evga psu' so I wouldn't know.
2020/06/24 00:40:30
bob16314
I suppose that those who have units with ECO Mode could enable it and see if it matters when running a benchmark/stress test like Unigine Superposition, Intel Burn Test, Intel Processor diagnostic Tool..Maybe the fan is wonky and making noise, or maybe it's some component in the unit..Maybe temporarily block the fan from turning with something non-conductive like a toothpick or whatever..They have OTP (Over Temperature Protection) and will shut off if temp gets too high.
2020/06/24 00:41:45
AFreakingCookie
I don't think it's the fan because wouldn't it make the noise 24/7 then? And sometimes, for me, the noise is louder or quieter than other times.
2020/06/24 00:49:11
dw1975
So the replacement they sent you back still has the whine? Honestly I would prefer to just buy a new psu but its kinda crappy cuz right now no retailer has any psu's in stock and the ones that I emailed can't even guess on an eta. I'm pretty sure if I rma this thing they would just send me back another POS unit that has been "reconditioned" and passes some quality checks. And odds are pretty good that the replacement would still squeal.
2020/06/24 00:53:39
AFreakingCookie
If I was you, I would just wait. Not worth the hassle and time. Took me like 2 weeks to even get the rma process STARTED. And I'm pretty sure they are reconditioned, which is pretty crappy seeing as a customer bought a psu, it was defective, so they just send you back basically the same psu but in even worse protective packaging. My psu came in just 1 layer of bubble wrap and they require be to send my defective one back with 2 INCHES of protective padding on all 6 sides. Just don't bother. Probably won't buy or recommend an evga psu until I see a psu, with my own eyes, without this issue.
2020/06/24 00:55:24
dw1975
Yeah, I'm almost positive the squealing from my unit is not coming from the fan. Plus I believe the fans are rated for 50,000 hour lifespan so they should not go bad after 18 months. I have heard fans when they are going bad and none sounded like this thing. I'll try some stress tests and see if anything changes.

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account