2020/06/15 12:06:52
penguintron
Hey, 

My computer's been chirping at me for a wee while now.  Not sure when it started but probably about 6 months ago to a year ago, but noise really that noticeable and wasn't much of a concern.  Thought it was the AIO pump in the cooler i'd installed and figured i'd just got unlucky.

Anyway, now i'm working from home all day, and using my pc for less fan heavy tasks, the chirping is really starting to annoy me.  Went on a hunt and found out it's actually the PSU.

I took some videos on my phone and you can hear the chirping a little bit.  It's not too loud, but it's constant, and quite tinnitusy.  Links to these below:

Has anyone else had similar noises?  Is this something I can fix myself or would I need to get a new PSU? It's not that loud but when everything else is quiet it's really aggravating over time.

The PSU is an EVGA Supernova 750W G1 (NEX750G) and is about 4 and a bit years old (bought March 2016).  I didn't register it when I got it so figure the warranty (5 years i think?) is probably garbage now anyway so if I can repair the fan noise myself that would be good.  

Cheers

*Edit - Apparently can't add links tou youtube for a week, so... guess i'll try again then?
2020/06/15 13:45:20
Sajin
Just rma it. Doesn't matter if you didn't register it.
2020/06/15 21:19:35
bob16314
You can fairly easily replace a fan in a PSU, I have done it many times, but that will void any warranty you might have and can be hazardous to your health unless common sense precautions are taken.

The Warranty Length is determined according to the suffix associated with the Part Number.

You might prefer to just RMA the thing if it's still under warranty..See the Shipping Guidelines for information on that..Send only the PSU..You keep the cables and stuff..You also pay shipping to EVGA, they pay shipping back to you.

Welcome to the forums, by the way..Be sure to read the Ultimate Self-Starter Thread For New Members sometime if you haven't yet..Lots of good info there for you about how to post links and things..Putting a space after the https: part and the rest of the URL should make it show up here.
2020/06/20 15:50:21
EVGATech_PeterN
Hi,

If you would like us to review a video or file, you can upload it to a cloud storage service like Google Drive, One Drive, Drop box, Firefox Send or Imgur.  You will need to make the link publicly available, and include the URL with your reply.  We will then review the noise.

Regards,
EVGA
2020/12/01 09:46:49
reeper167
I have the supernova 850 and it makes the same chirping noise. 

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account